MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Hey dudes, nose bleeds

Hey dudes, nose bleeds

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Hey dudes, nose bleeds

Post Number:#1  Postby wiredworm » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:34 pm

went diving yesterday in Kota Kinabalu - Tunku Abdul Rahman marine park. it was a shore dive had a bit of an issue clearing my left ear. but eventually it did - very slowly.

shallow dive at just 11meters or so. there was a patch of garden eels, a couple of lions, pipefish all over, barracudas (and sadly a couple of reef balls that didn't quite work! - so CORAL ppl, could be a good project here).

when i ascened, blew my nose to clear - some copper muck came out. i had this before and it was when i had an infection in my sinus.

I went on for a 2nd dive to 22m, fantastic table corals, sweetlips, frog fish, cuttlefish, pipefish, cleared rather well, no copper muck but my ears continue to feel 'cottony' (like as if someone stuck some cotton wool in my ear). popped in decongestant and vit C, it cleared after a day.

does any else get this?  :o
wiredworm
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Hey dudes, nose bleeds

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:36 pm

Sounds like a sinus squeeze. You had problems auto-equalising. It doesn't matter how shallow the dive was...your ears will pop between 2.6-3.4 meters due to change in pressure everytime you descend and this process is biologically-repeated...this method is also my "depth gauge" everytime I forget to bring my PDC or when its battery kaputs.

Our Sheik suffers from this frequently, so if you want to see sharks, ask him to blow his nose underwater ;D

Other than that, post-dive, it would be advisable to visit your GP...maybe you may need antibiotics to prevent infection.

Try descending feet first next time..but best of all, is to avoid diving while having a congested nose.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:37 pm

That was my 500th post...cool. 8-)

I sure have nothing to do...cos I'm not diving. :)
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby divedoc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Guys,

I think any issues on nosebleeds or inability to equalize ur ears, you should refer to my post regarding the question: Is taking Clarinase good before a dive.

Chow..
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Guys,

I think any issues on nosebleeds or inability to equalize ur ears, you should refer to my post regarding the question: Is taking Clarinase good before a dive.

Chow..

I was just going to recommend purging a Poseidon regulator up the nostril to clear the sinuses.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby Spazm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:30 pm

For the first time I had this during my dives so far was my last 2 diving trip recently... :(
Been having lots of phelgm and I guess the sinus was choked with it..

One during the Shah Alam pool dives...only went to 5m deep...could feel the sinus squeeze
when I cleared the phelgm after the dive..blood followed..

Last weekend (at Jarak) I had to cut short my diving to 4 dives only as other did 7...:(...

Even as I descended feet first...I could feel the squeeze every 3 ft... made a bloody mess after every dives...was hoping to see some sharks but there weren't any..only sailfish..

and after the 3rd dives of the day..had to give up due to headache n nose was runny again... one more dive the next day and the blood was even more..fresh + coagulated blood...:(

My question here Doc if u are reading this....would this go away if I stop diving for a while and let the sinus heal?? If I don't...how would it affect my health over the long term??..:) Been 3 days now and I could see my phelgm still having some dried blood in it..
Last edited by Spazm on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Melayu says: TAK TAHAN DAULAT go diving tak ajak kawan2. Call just to ask for directions. ;D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby Spazm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Melayu says: TAK TAHAN DAULAT go diving tak ajak kawan2. Call just to ask for directions. ;D

HAHA...itulah akibatnya..:) now everytime my nose start bleeding..it will remind me of u..:P
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby dp » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 pm

THE seademon has spoken

jeng jeng jeng.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually brudder demon, we only found out that there were 3 more cancellations after we boarded.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 am

Basket...

..and they call themselves "divers"... >:(
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby Spazm » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am

Basket...

..and they call themselves "divers"... >:(

Heh heh..thanks to Mephisto for the head-ups on the trip...:)... ehem..SD...u know who to look for.. ::)
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby divedoc » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:26 pm

...My question here Doc if u are reading this....would this go away if I stop diving for a while and let the sinus heal?? If I don't...how would it affect my health over the long term??..:) Been 3 days now and I could see my phelgm still having some dried blood in it..

Dear Spazm,

The problem with your sinuses is that, after several episodes of nosebleeds, the epithelial lining of the sinuses gets thinner everytime, thus exposing the blood vessels in your sinuses. The next time you go diving again, there is a high chance that you will gets nosebleeds.

My advice to u would be this, take some time off diving, say for a couple of months...by that time, your sinuses would probably heal by then. Be sure not to have any runny nose, flu or congested nose  a couple of days before ur planned dive. And whenever you feel a squeeze, don't go any deeper...chances are your sinuses will bleed again if u do.
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:35 pm

...My question here Doc if u are reading this....would this go away if I stop diving for a while and let the sinus heal?? If I don't...how would it affect my health over the long term??..:) Been 3 days now and I could see my phelgm still having some dried blood in it..

Dear Spazm,

The problem with your sinuses is that, after several episodes of nosebleeds, the epithelial lining of the sinuses gets thinner everytime, thus exposing the blood vessels in your sinuses. The next time you go diving again, there is a high chance that you will gets nosebleeds.

My advice to u would be this, take some time off diving, say for a couple of months...by that time, your sinuses would probably heal by then. Be sure not to have any runny nose, flu or congested nose  a couple of days before ur planned dive. And whenever you feel a squeeze, don't go any deeper...chances are your sinuses will bleed again if u do.

Hahahaha Spazm! Kasi rendam itu equipment and gantung to dry. For the next few months just watch channels 50-52 on Astro kalau dah kemaruk diving. ;D :P

Never mind...deepblu can take all the photos and show them to you.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#14  Postby sheik » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Hahaha. It'll be a blizzard in hell if spazm give up diving for 3 months. He can't even last a week without puitting a regulator in his mouth.

heh heh.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#15  Postby Spazm » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:57 am

Dear Spazm,

Thanks for the advice doc...will do that for a month and see how it goes...:)
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#16  Postby Spazm » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:59 am

Dear Spazm,

Hahahaha Spazm! Kasi rendam itu equipment and gantung to dry. For the next few months just watch channels 50-52 on Astro kalau dah kemaruk diving. ;D :P

Never mind...deepblu can take all the photos and show them to you.

Bro..equipment sekarang baru je basuh dan gantung...:)

Tapi in a week or so...will again get the urge to dive again...hopefully tak ada orang ajak diving for the next one month lah....:p
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#17  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 am

Dear Spazm,

Thanks for the advice doc...will do that for a month and see how it goes...:)

Hello, kawan! One month is 30.5 days tau! Not today Jan 21st, Feb 1st dah pasang regulator! ;D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby Spazm » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:17 am

Hahaha. It'll be a blizzard in hell if spazm give up diving for 3 months. He can't even last a week without puitting a regulator in his mouth.

heh heh.

hhhmm.....now...where did I put my pacifier.. :D
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness