MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DCS and Recreational Diving

DCS and Recreational Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

DCS and Recreational Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:11 pm

It is commonly thought that DCS only affects technical and commercial divers as opposed to recreational divers. That is a serious misconception.  DCS can happen to any diver...technical, recreational and commercial.

How much do you know about DCS? What is your dive profile like? Do you know what are the things that you do that can affect you?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: DCS and Recreational Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby katakpink » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:34 pm

Remember that any dive is a decompression dive. Just add "NO STOP" infront of it.
katakpink

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby anas » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 pm

once upon a time, i used to teach at one institution.. DCS was referred to Dip in Computer Science..
:-X
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:02 am

once upon a time, i used to teach at one institution.. DCS was referred to Dip in Computer Science..
:-X

ko ni tak habis2 lari topik la
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:41 am

On a serious note, there are times u accidently breach ur non-decompression dive. With appropriate steps taken such as required timing of deco stops and ascend rate and etc it'll prevent from DCS. All dive manuals will teach appropriate emergency procedures when u go overboard. Alternativelty a good dive comp will help u prevent DCS provided u follow what is required by the manufacturer. My 2 cents worth :)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Okay...let me suggest a few things, but before that, in a recreational dive, it is IMPORTANT for you to know your dive table. Yes, you have a dive computer..and what if the battery runs out (has happened to me before), or you lose it when it drops into the water while you are rinsing it on the LOB while the LOB is moving? Which is why you always see me with my RDP especially after my second dive, going to the third. You must remember the rules of the RDP. Groups W, X means your MINIMUM surface interval should be an hour before diving again. Y and Z means three hours.

And as mentioned by Holemaster, what if you bust your NDL? If you bust your NDL by not more than 5 minutes, you MUST do a decompression stop of 8 minutes at 5m, and you shoud not dive again for  hours. If you bust it by more than 5 minutes, you must do a 15-minute stop at 5m and not dive again for 24 hours.

Dive computers are based on algorithms, as RDPs are. They are useful as guidelines, but you will never know what is happening inside your blood vessel, beneath your skin, inside your joints..those microbubbles.

If I may add to what the dive agencies have recommended, whether you are on deco or not, always do a one minute "stop" at half your deepest depth on your way up. For easier calculations, take the nearest number that can be divided by 3, but it must not be shallower than your half deepest depth.

Example:

Your deepest depth for this dive is 33m. Your half deepest would be 16.5m. Nearest numbers that canbe divided by 3 are 18 and 15. Since 15m is shallower than 16.5m, you do your one-minute stop at 18m.

At this point, those who were on the LOB trip last weekend may have noticed how Jim, Holemaster, Hollowman and I have been doing long safety stops. We were actually doing decompression stops on no-decompression dives, and not the normal 5-3.

So how would I conduct my stops if I were the diver who went down to 33m? Providing I have not gone to depths shallower than 18m for the remaining duration of that dive, I'd conduct a one-minute stop at every three meters (18m, 15m, 12m, and 9m), then do the last 2 stops (6m and 3m) at three minutes each. So instead of having one big bubble to try and dissolve at 5m in 3 minutes, I dissolve bubbles when they are smaller so they don't become big and does not dissolve easily at 5m in 3 minutes. So at this age you can see the number of dives I do (I only skipped two on the last trip: one because I was still sleepy from the drive, and the last one I had washed my equipment).

But in order to do this mini deco stops, you must know your air consumption rate. You don't want to run out of air and do a CESA and risk getting AGE or make potential DCS worse.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:43 pm

yup i agree with u on the RDP. Need to get those wheels. Btw ur explanation is well written ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby adamm84 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:11 pm

DCS - Decompression Sickness right? The usual remedy applies, REST and LIMIT your dive times, prefably only 30 mins at a time (may vary according to depth). And you know the story about going on a flight after diving? It's true.

Here's an article I found in Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

Hope it helps :)  
adamm84

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:20 pm

DCS - Decompression Sickness right? The usual remedy applies, REST and LIMIT your dive times, prefably only 30 mins at a time (may vary according to depth). And you know the story about going on a flight after diving? It's true.

Well, master the dive planner, plan your dives according to it, and you won't go wrong. Spending 30 minutes at 30 meters and going straight up can potentially kill you too.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:54 am

Here's an article I found in Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

Hope it helps :)  

Thanks for the info adam, btw if only 30 mins ABT myself gone case oledi, so how? :'(
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby nyu » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 am

HM...am looking for wheel also, found one at global scuba or was it sometihing else at one utama old wing near pizzahut, quite pricy..tell me if you found one that is cheaper than RM 250 thx ;)
nyu

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:47 pm

HM...am looking for wheel also, found one at global scuba or was it sometihing else at one utama old wing near pizzahut, quite pricy..tell me if you found one that is cheaper than RM 250 thx ;)

Nyu, will do. btw i think thats the standard price. Last i checked at Sealantis, they also quoted me RM200++
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:41 pm

I still rely on my "wheel." Last trip in Perhentian my PDC gave up twice on me because of low battery.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:59 pm

thats the thing most Dive Comp does not indicate that battery is running low. All u know they konked out :( :(
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby Jim » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:24 am

thats the thing most Dive Comp does not indicate that battery is running low. All u know they konked out :( :(

read the manual.... there is an indication......
Jim

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness