MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Loss of motor control.

Loss of motor control.

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Loss of motor control.

Post Number:#1  Postby mephisto » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:17 pm

Hello DiveDoc.

Can you explain loss of motor control cause by prolong apnea. Is there any after effect to the person who have expiriance it? Also what are the first signs a person will notice right before LMC kicks in?

Thanks man.
mephisto

Topic author

Re: Loss of motor control.

Post Number:#2  Postby divedoc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:27 pm

hi mephisto,

Is the apnea related to diving? Coz any prolong apnea will have an after effect to not just to the motor skills, in fact to the whole brain...prolong apnea causes oxygen deprivation to the brain in general, be it the sensory part, or the motor part. Think of a comatose patient being in a vegetative state...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:58 pm

Mephisto...u cabbage or broccoli by now? Hehehe!
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby mephisto » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:48 pm

to demon: ni dah category ulam raja dah ni.

to Dive Doc: i am into freediving (breathholding) and thats where apnea comes into play. Voluntary apnea.
                  LMC and LOC is a fact of life we have to accept. Traning dictates that if a diver goes into LMC or LOC ┬ácertain procedures are to be done ( make sure air ways is clear to avoid droning, mouth to mouth, CPR etc).

The question is if a diver experiance LMC or LOC and is revive to normal, is there any physical after effects?

Second, is mucle cramps during breathhold is a sign of body going in to LMC?

Thanks.
Last edited by mephisto on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby comrade » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:46 pm

mephisto.........LMC and LOC tu apo bonde nyerr
comrade

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby divedoc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:42 pm

Mephisto dude,

Regarding your Q, I think u have misunderstood between voluntary apnea and true apnea. Voluntary apnea is when you breathhold (e.g diving) and your body still has oxygen to burn...whereas true apnea is cessation of breathing, meaning your respiration stops and you have no oxygen to burn.

Any physical after effects depends on how long one is deprived of oxygen. The longer the LOC (which is to say he is unable to breath on his own), the more severe the physical after effects. That is why Basic Life Support is important in diving where you have to provide your ABCs (Airway, Breathing, Circulation...) to an unconscious diver as the first thing that come to your mind is that he is deprived of Oxygen.

As for ur second Q, Yup, it is! Muscle cramps occur when your muscle starts burning lactic acid as your body depletes itself of oxygen. The longer time you breathhold, the higher the chances of this occuring. As your body depletes itself of oxygen, so does your brain. And we know for a fact that 4 minutes without oxygen will make your brain cells die.

I hope i have answered your Q.

Thanks again.
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby mephisto » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:46 pm

Hello Doc.

Thanks. Now i understand.
Now i know when to push and not.

Thanks again.
mephisto

Topic author