MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#1  Postby tulip » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:17 pm

hello..

i'm posting for a friend of mine. she's going to have a minor dental surgery to remove her wisdom tooth. how long after the surgery can she start diving again? she's already made appointment for her surgery this thursday and on saturday she's leaving for her AOWD.

any opinion on this? i personally think it's too soon after the surgery..
err... huh?
tulip
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: puchong-kl sentral
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#2  Postby Yan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:07 pm

when i had my wisdom tooth removed and the dentist said no diving for at least 2 weeks. but you can ask the dentist before you get your tooth removed...can always reschedule after your AOWD.... hehehehe
of all the things that i have lost....i miss my mind the most
Yan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: ampang
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#3  Postby ikan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:10 pm

It is better for her to check with the dentist .. as we dont know what exactly does the procedure involves and how long will it take to recover ...
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
User avatar
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:46 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#4  Postby Bones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 pm

I would advise 2 weeks for the wound to seal off (this is a minimum requirement). But then it depends on the procedure. This is to prevent the occurance of dental barotrauma where there is tracking of gasses into the soft tissue from the broken mucosa.

So I guess you friend should reschedule her AOWD
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#5  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:34 pm

yup tru and follow bone's advise.  I had dental boratrauma, my tooth was brittle and its easily broken to tiny pieces,  my dentist was so shocked and asked me what caused my tooth to be in that conditions. In fact I already told her that I am a diver. 
Last edited by Nitrogen addict on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
User avatar
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#6  Postby MT_Tanc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Nitrogen addict wrote:yup tru and follow bone's advise.  I had dental boratrauma, my tooth was brittle and its easily broken to tiny pieces,  my dentist was so shocked and asked me what caused my tooth to be in that conditions. In fact I already told her that I am a diver.  


Thanks NA ,now i know why mine also easily broken.so what did u do for treatment? :sad10:
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: South Success Valley, M-Punk
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#7  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 pm

i have to change to another dentist and explain to them my problem.  There's a good dentist at ampang park Klinik gigi Zul. 
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
User avatar
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#8  Postby tulip » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Bones wrote:I would advise 2 weeks for the wound to seal off (this is a minimum requirement). But then it depends on the procedure. This is to prevent the occurance of dental barotrauma where there is tracking of gasses into the soft tissue from the broken mucosa.

So I guess you friend should reschedule her AOWD


cool.. i guess now maybe she'd listen to me. :D thanks Bones. ;)

will tell her to read this comment of yours
err... huh?
tulip
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: puchong-kl sentral
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#9  Postby Bones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 pm

tulip wrote:
Bones wrote:I would advise 2 weeks for the wound to seal off (this is a minimum requirement). But then it depends on the procedure. This is to prevent the occurance of dental barotrauma where there is tracking of gasses into the soft tissue from the broken mucosa.

So I guess you friend should reschedule her AOWD


cool.. i guess now maybe she'd listen to me. :D thanks Bones. ;)

will tell her to read this comment of yours

No worries Tulip. Laying off diving for several weeks is better than being affected for a longer period. Hopefully she sees it that way
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: how long after minor surgery can we start diving again?

Post Number:#10  Postby ScubaBunny » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 am

Guilty as charged. Also have asked my MI, said no no.. pls lay off d dental procedure 1st. Dentist not diver.. :)

Thanks all!
ScubaBunny
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:31 am
Gender: None specified


Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron