MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Vomit during diving

Vomit during diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Vomit during diving

Post Number:#1  Postby scquik » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 pm

After my open water diving trip in June 2006, I have problem with my stomach in all the subsequents diving trips.  I tried to have light meal before dive but still spit in the water or at surface after dive.  The bad feeling usually start after short duration of dive, and getting worst at shallow especially during safety stop.

I don't think it is a sign of seasick, I can live with long boat ride and on rocking boat.  I suspect I breath in the compress air into my stomach and causing a kick back when ascend to shallow.

Eat no eat still spit.  Worst is when nothing to spit, the gastric juice spit out and I have very bad burning feeling in my throat and stomach.  I afraid it has became an habit to me.

Anyone has same experience to share and advise the solution to overcome this problem?  Please kindly advise.
scquik

Topic author

Re: Vomit during diving

Post Number:#2  Postby reen » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:03 pm

try taking vomit pills before the dives...
sumtime it was the experience which made you prone to vomit..
reen

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby najibest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:20 pm

yup, u can try some motion sickness pills when going for trips, it helps a lot.. i sometimes vomit also after my dive but lately it has been getting better.. i do personally think that it would get better once your body is used to it (rocking boat etc)

anyway everybody advises my to just vomit should i feel like doing so.. and if you ask me, just eat before dive, don't refrain urself from eating as you need the energy..after vomit then go eat again la heh :)
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby ying » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:23 pm

After my open water diving trip in June 2006, I have problem with my stomach in all the subsequents diving trips.  I tried to have light meal before dive but still spit in the water or at surface after dive.  The bad feeling usually start after short duration of dive, and getting worst at shallow especially during safety stop.

I don't think it is a sign of seasick, I can live with long boat ride and on rocking boat.  I suspect I breath in the compress air into my stomach and causing a kick back when ascend to shallow.

Eat no eat still spit.  Worst is when nothing to spit, the gastric juice spit out and I have very bad burning feeling in my throat and stomach.  I afraid it has became an habit to me.

Anyone has same experience to share and advise the solution to overcome this problem?  Please kindly advise.

My gal friend also suffering from the same problem. Worst still, she losses her body heat extremely fast. After 30mins underwater, she'll have to abandon dive as she already turning purple.
ying

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:35 pm

My initial thought was you were having a gag reflex...maybe the mouthpiece of your regulator is not well trimmed for the size of your mouth. But upon further reading you mentioned that the problem is more evident in the shallows. That shows a build up of gas within the gastrointestinal system.

Taking vomit pills will only suppress the catalyst to vomit but does not cure the problem. I suspect gas build up. Do you have gastric? Or do you often get heartburn? If you don't eat, gastric juices will eat at your linings, and if you eat, more juices will come out to help you digest the food you took.

Maybe you need to take any form of medication that would help neutralise the acid in your tummy. Don't eat oily or hot (pedas) food during your dive trip....for the whole duration. Drink lots of plain water.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby jgshuwei » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Drink more water to dilute the pH in your tummy. As SD said, get a medical opinion on your stomach. Hope you get well soon.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby scquik » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks guys/gals for your experience sharing and advices.

I don't have gastric and heartburn often, sometime it happen (one two time a year), usually due to the food I took.

Will consult doctor for medication opinion.

Next time don't be surprise when fishies come to kiss on my lips.
scquik

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks guys/gals for your experience sharing and advices.

I don't have gastric and heartburn often, sometime it happen (one two time a year), usually due to the food I took.

Will consult doctor for medication opinion.

Next time don't be surprise when fishies come to kiss on my lips.

Let me know of your next trip I wanna dive with you. Good photo opportunities coming. :P
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 am

My personal advice dont take oily foods and gassy drinks. Just keep it light. For energy u can take bananas. Those things works for me. And if u tend to seasick easily, take motion sickness pills.  ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby marlene » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:45 am

I'm a newbie and have only gone for 2 leisure dives so far since my OW in June 07.  But on both occasions i noticed that my first dive usually ends with a massive headache.  

In Redang, we went for one dive before lunch.  Initially i thought that my headache was caused by hunger pangs.. but even after a good meal my headache refuse to budge.. had to take painkillers and a few hours of sleep before i felt better. The next 2 days of diving was fine.

In the case of the last Tioman trip, my headache was so bad coupled with a very quesy stomach.  I didnt even feel better after throwing up.  Cldnt even keep the painkillers or water down.  Had to sleep a few hours before i felt better.  I thought that this was rather abnormal for me as i have never had any problems with seasickness before.  The next day i downed a seasick pill just to be on the safe side.

Hmm.. my personal 'diagnosis' is that ONE reason is insufficient rest when travelling which contributed to my headache.  Wld this be accurate?
Question is, since i cant rest/sleep properly while travelling (especially on short weekend dive trips), does that mean i have to refrain from diving on the first day?

I also realise that the smell of smoke/fumes (ciggie or fuel) immediately after a dive encourages my headaches.  Can't explain the seasickness tho.

It would be good if i can identify reasons why i have headaches or get seasick, so i can be better prepared and be able to enjoy my diving trips.  I'm also not sure of the effect of taking seasick pills while diving. Any comments?
marlene

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby ery » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 am

you may want to try bread as well.  :)
ery

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby tulip » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 am

i tend to have headaches after dives if i have the slightest motion sickness before the dive. and i find a neck rub is the best remedy for that.   ::) ::)
tulip

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby maltymouse » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:22 am

my advise must not go diving with an empty stomach, have something light.  I normally will eat my healthy bar or power bar ( high with fiber) in between my diving.  I also drink a lot of "battery water" a.k.a 100 plus to avoid cramps.  
maltymouse

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby mocha » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am

my method to overcome this problem (headache) is by doing slow ascend....if possible, slower than recommended ascend rate..... and maintaining at the following depths 12m,9m and 5m (safety stop) for few minutes at each depth.... it helped me alot.....probably my body needed more time than others to adjust to pressure change as i ascend.....
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby zani » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am

I'll start up with something light and fruits and water in between my dives. It's seems help for a not big eater like me!! 8-)
zani

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby avidiver » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 am

Yea,   I too have experience of vomitting during my Open Water certification dive,  maybe it's due to the fast ascend rate that I did for my CESA practice  :-[  Infact,  my instructor also gave me hand signal to slow down the ascend rate...........but I think was a little although I did as told.  Being totally new to diving,  I think the gas in my gastrointestine expanded rapidly, causing me to vomit right upon reaching the surface.  Wasn't a good experience at all  :-?

I also tend to have seasickness problem and cannot tahan being in a stationary boat and being rocked by the wave..... but the last time when I tried taking the sea sickness pills, it made me drowsy and sleepy.  So, don't think such pills are encouraged during dive trips.  

So, now.  when I am in the boat, I will look at the farthest object or at the sky to avoid sea sickness feeling.  Will also take very light breakfast,  maybe fruits are good choice like banana and drink lots of H2O and bring along 100 plus type of drinks too :)
avidiver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby maltymouse » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:56 am

my method to overcome this problem (headache) is by doing slow ascend....if possible, slower than recommended ascend rate..... and maintaining at the following depths 12m,9m and 5m (safety stop) for few minutes at each depth.... it helped me alot.....probably my body needed more time than others to adjust to pressure change as i ascend.....

I guess that's the right method.  It will gives ample time for your body to adjust
maltymouse

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby zimm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:09 pm

i think vomitting is kind or normal for divers who hv weak stomach & easily get seasick especially when the water is choppy. i've experienced few times. i make sure i avoid coffee & sometimes milk before diving. never go diving on empty stomach & lastly i'll make sure i hv enuf supply of ginger ;)
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:39 pm

i think vomitting is kind or normal for divers who hv weak stomach & easily get seasick especially when the water is choppy. i've experienced few times. i make sure i avoid coffee & sometimes milk before diving. never go diving on empty stomach & lastly i'll make sure i hv enuf supply of ginger ;)

Zimm, next time u can supply those ginger without coloured one, the one you gave me during Aur trip make my urine turned into red colour! ::) ::) ::)

Yes, ginger will help. Try Mocha's method also good. Me? Just eat anything before diving, so that even I vomit, I can feed more fish!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm a newbie and have only gone for 2 leisure dives so far since my OW in June 07.  But on both occasions i noticed that my first dive usually ends with a massive headache.  

In Redang, we went for one dive before lunch.  Initially i thought that my headache was caused by hunger pangs.. but even after a good meal my headache refuse to budge.. had to take painkillers and a few hours of sleep before i felt better. The next 2 days of diving was fine.

In the case of the last Tioman trip, my headache was so bad coupled with a very quesy stomach.  I didnt even feel better after throwing up.  Cldnt even keep the painkillers or water down.  Had to sleep a few hours before i felt better.  I thought that this was rather abnormal for me as i have never had any problems with seasickness before.  The next day i downed a seasick pill just to be on the safe side.

Hmm.. my personal 'diagnosis' is that ONE reason is insufficient rest when travelling which contributed to my headache.  Wld this be accurate?
Question is, since i cant rest/sleep properly while travelling (especially on short weekend dive trips), does that mean i have to refrain from diving on the first day?

I also realise that the smell of smoke/fumes (ciggie or fuel) immediately after a dive encourages my headaches.  Can't explain the seasickness tho.

It would be good if i can identify reasons why i have headaches or get seasick, so i can be better prepared and be able to enjoy my diving trips.  I'm also not sure of the effect of taking seasick pills while diving. Any comments?

Marlene it happens to me too. Usually with lack of sleep u tend to get headaches when diving. My advice is to only have LIGHT meals. Dive slowly and maintain ur buoyancy. By bouncing UP and DOWN u'll get more headaches. Ascend SLOWLY or better still do multiple SAFETY STOPS like what Mocha has highlighted.

Different ppl has different physiology...like me i get seasick easily..some ppl dont...some ppl can even dive normally with only 1 hours sleep. But not for me...Basically to summarised things:
1. Have LIGHT MEALS only...Dont take oily foods.
Breakfast: Usually i only have 1 slice of bread or Uncle Toby's breakfast bar.
Lunch: Cut half of what u normal have

2. Maintain ur BUOYANCY....No bouncing pls

3. Ascend SLOWLY and DO MULTIPLE SAFETY STOPS

4. If u get seasick easily take GINGER OR MOTION SICKNESS PILLS

This is what i practice and works fine for me. But occasionally u tend to stuff up during lunch and u end up throwing up again ;D
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby scquik » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:02 pm

What product of ginger is that?  Raw ginger, pill or sweet?  I know ginger help to reduce stomach wind.

I think my problem is not seasickness.  I can stand rocking boat.  Next time I should eat more so that I vomit food rather than vomit gastric juice, that burn my throat.  Can feed fish also  ;D
scquik

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby zimm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:48 pm

What product of ginger is that?  Raw ginger, pill or sweet?  I know ginger help to reduce stomach wind.

I think my problem is not seasickness.  I can stand rocking boat.  Next time I should eat more so that I vomit food rather than vomit gastric juice, that burn my throat.  Can feed fish also  ;D

either in form of drink (try nona brand) or the 'asam' ginger where i normally get fr the chinese wholesaler. it reduces the wind & also fr getting seasick. but since ur ok with the rocking boat, maybe its just the food u take b4 getting into the boat. do u hv coffee earlier??
heavy surge just before you get into the boat/shore can also lead to vommiting. it happened to me :-[
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby zimm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:54 pm

Zimm, next time u can supply those ginger without coloured one, the one you gave me during Aur trip make my urine turned into red colour! ::) ::) ::)

Yes, ginger will help. Try Mocha's method also good. Me? Just eat anything before diving, so that even I vomit, I can feed more fish!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sori bro.....no stock la tat time so i just grapped wat ever is there......(lucky didnt come out PINK :P)
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby scquik » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 pm

either in form of drink (try nona brand) or the 'asam' ginger where i normally get fr the chinese wholesaler. it reduces the wind & also fr getting seasick. but since ur ok with the rocking boat, maybe its just the food u take b4 getting into the boat. do u hv coffee earlier??
heavy surge just before you get into the boat/shore can also lead to vommiting. it happened to me :-[

Like that, ginger sweet may help too.

I like coffee but stop taking during the dive trip.  I noticed coffee caused problem during my Sipdan trip 2 months back.  But now, even stopping coffee still problem, worst than before.
scquik

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby matpung » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 am

Agreed with mocha.. :)
matpung

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby wmwoo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:08 am

WOW!! Thanks alot for all the tips!! I have not experienced before! Will definitely try out if encounter such incidents....and of course got to quote si fu from Malaysianunderwater.com   ;)
Last edited by wmwoo on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wmwoo

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby Daniel_May » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:28 pm

Like that, ginger sweet may help too.

I like coffee but stop taking during the dive trip.  I noticed coffee caused problem during my Sipdan trip 2 months back.  But now, even stopping coffee still problem, worst than before.

Is it really works ?????
I don't thing so....
Daniel_May

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby marlene » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:36 pm

Marlene it happens to me too. Usually with lack of sleep u tend to get headaches when diving. My advice is to only have LIGHT meals. Dive slowly and maintain ur buoyancy. By bouncing UP and DOWN u'll get more headaches. Ascend SLOWLY or better still do multiple SAFETY STOPS like what Mocha has highlighted.

Different ppl has different physiology...like me i get seasick easily..some ppl dont...some ppl can even dive normally with only 1 hours sleep. But not for me...Basically to summarised things:

This is what i practice and works fine for me. But occasionally u tend to stuff up during lunch and u end up throwing up again ;D

Thanks for the tips!
1.  minimise food... hmm.... hmmm... :))
2.  bouncing.. hmm... will improve on that
3.  my headache hits me when i surface...
4.  will pack ginger and experiment that on my next dive trip!
Last edited by marlene on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlene

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby anas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 am

Thanks for the tips!

5. (add 1 more) get good nite sleep prior to your dive.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby evo5555 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:34 am

to make ur nite bettter, perhaps can have a can or two of beer? ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks for the tips!

5. (add 1 more) get good nite sleep prior to your dive.
evo5555

Topic author

Next

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness