MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - slip disc

slip disc

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

slip disc

Post Number:#1  Postby mimizarina » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi all... this is my very first post here....
just wondering.
i had a multiple slip disc late december last year and had a surgery
can i still dive?  i am not supposed to carry any heavy things anymore...
i am dying to go for a diving trip, but just do not know what i should do...
thanks...
mimizarina

Topic author

Re: slip disc

Post Number:#2  Postby anas » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi all... this is my very first post here....
just wondering.
i had a multiple slip disc late december last year and had a surgery
can i still dive?  i am not supposed to carry any heavy things anymore...
i am dying to go for a diving trip, but just do not know what i should do...
thanks...

Is it pretty severe? What does your doctor say?

My 2 sen opinion if you are dying to dive:
Yes, you r not supposed to carry heavy stuff, i.e. tanks. However tanks are very much light underwater. You may need to learn to put on and put off your BC in the water instead. Should try that in the pool, see how your back react to it after the session. If OK, then gradually "upgrade" the challenges to next level...
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:50 pm

There is a diver I know who's had slipped disc, and returned to diving only after a year. You've had a surgery performed last December. The general rule for post-op vertebral problems is to go back to the surgeon for a thorough check-up. If he okays you to dive, so so with caution. Please get a "all-clear" or "precautionary" letter (whichever relevant) from your surgeon. Be extra aware of your back condition when putting on your gear. As pointed out by Sheik, donning and doffing your equipment in water would be the best way for you to continue enjoy your dives, but also be aware that extending the neck due to improper adjustment of the tank to the BCD can lead to stress on your vertebrae.

Please please refer to your surgeon and inform him/her of your intention to return to the water.

Good luck, and hope to see you underwater enjoying yourself soon.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Jim » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:29 pm

......or if have a willing buddy to carry the tanks for u.....

But like mentioned above, do refer back to yr dr for his expert advice before going diving.
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby mephisto » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:28 pm

also kalau nak rehab...sila try yoga.....jim...diving style side mounted boleh kaa....ape dia punya setup?
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby zzz » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi,

With regards to your enquiry bout diving and slip disc it generally depends. I assume your slip disc is in the lumbar (lower back) area. And what surgery did you have, just disc removal (called discectomy) or did they do a fusion of your spine?

2 months is not enough time for the tissues to fully heal after a surgery (especially your bone)... this again depends on the nature of the op.

Generally, those with multiple slip dics are advised not to carry heavy objects and do movement that bend the spine. You can gear up in the water but I reckon that when you get out after a dive you still have to carry the equipment (especially if no one is there to help you)... and having climbed up a boat after a dive so many times I can tell you, the pressure on the back is much more that carrying it to the water before the dive. There is a risk of getting an acute prolapse there and then. :(

I really feel for you so go and see your surgeon his opinion.
zzz

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness