MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - High blood pressure & diving

High blood pressure & diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#1  Postby Jord » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm

You people covered quite a number of topic inc. diabetic & diving . How about those who have high blood pressure? Any effect/complication/advice? :-?
Jord
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:37 pm

I give you one thumb up for your query. You are correct, this is another common condition that we have overlooked. I know of people with hypertension with BP not exceeding 150/90 and do not suffer from hypertension-related complications who dive BUT ONLY AFTER HAVING BEEN CLEARED BY THEIR RESPECTIVE PHYSICIAN. Then again, I'm not a qualified doctor to say whether that is okay.

What effects hypertension has on diving, I shall leave it to Divedoc to answer.
SeaDemon
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#3  Postby divedoc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Opps!! Forgot to discuss about one of the common illness in Malaysia rite now!!

Yes, hypertension...
The problem with hypertension is, is you are a long-standing sufferer, you may have developed hypertension related complications such as eye problems, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure and so on...so if this is the case, then forget about diving as one may experience exaggerated responses to immersion, cold stresses and exertion whilst underwater.

I would give the green light for hypertensive patients who are on medication(s) and have a relatively good control BP (<145/90mmHg). Anything more than that means that your BP is poorly controlled. I would start medication(s) first before giving the go ahead. But this rule only applies to those patients with Essential hypertension (idiopathic hypertension-meaning that there is no underlying cause to the hypertension). Those with secondary hypertension (young hypertensives) probably having underlying renal or adrenal disease should get themselves thoroughly investigated and completely treated before resuming diving.

Is that fair enough for those hypertensives out there???
divedoc
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?
SeaDemon
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#5  Postby Jord » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:02 pm

I give you one thumb up for your query. You are correct, this is another common condition that we have overlooked. I know of people with hypertension with BP not exceeding 150/90 and do not suffer from hypertension-related complications who dive BUT ONLY AFTER HAVING BEEN CLEARED BY THEIR RESPECTIVE PHYSICIAN. Then again, I'm not a qualified doctor to say whether that is okay.

What effects hypertension has on diving, I shall leave it to Divedoc to answer.


Thank you Sir!  :)

'hypertension' was the word i was looking for earlier. just didn't cross my mind.
Jord
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#6  Postby Jord » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Opps!! Forgot to discuss about one of the common illness in Malaysia rite now!!

Yes, hypertension...
The problem with hypertension is, is you are a long-standing sufferer, you may have developed hypertension related complications such as eye problems, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure and so on...so if this is the case, then forget about diving as one may experience exaggerated responses to immersion, cold stresses and exertion whilst underwater.

I would give the green light for hypertensive patients who are on medication(s) and have a relatively good control BP (<145/90mmHg). Anything more than that means that your BP is poorly controlled. I would start medication(s) first before giving the go ahead. But this rule only applies to those patients with Essential hypertension (idiopathic hypertension-meaning that there is no underlying cause to the hypertension). Those with secondary hypertension (young hypertensives) probably having underlying renal or adrenal disease should get themselves thoroughly investigated and completely treated before resuming diving.

Is that fair enough for those hypertensives out there???



Thanks divedoc. agree with u that this is one of the common illness in Msia right now. Was curious how it will affect divers who suffer from it.
Jord
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#7  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Glad to be of help, Jord...pleasure's mine and Divedoc's. ;)
SeaDemon
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#8  Postby divedoc » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?


There is no specific advice for hypertensives on what to do before, during and after a dive. It is best that one should check the BP prior to a dive trip and to check on the morning of the planned dive. Hypertension is a silent killer, so if u do not take precautions, u may not know when danger may strike. That is why the need to swallow your oral antihypertensive pills everyday without skipping a day.

I have given u the baseline BP as a standard for hypertensive divers out there. So ur next step is to make regular visits to ur GP or family physician to get ur BP checked occassionally. With good BP control, there is no reason you should not be out there with ur dive buddies enjoying ur dive trip...
divedoc
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:23 am

Doc...would stress-induced hypertension be included in the essential hypertension category? I know it sounds silly to ask the more or less obvious.  Would people with unknown pre-hypertensive signs normally be at risk of getting hypertension?
SeaDemon
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#10  Postby wmwoo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 am

Opps!! Forgot to discuss about one of the common illness in Malaysia rite now!!

Yes, hypertension...
The problem with hypertension is, is you are a long-standing sufferer, you may have developed hypertension related complications such as eye problems, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure and so on...so if this is the case, then forget about diving as one may experience exaggerated responses to immersion, cold stresses and exertion whilst underwater.

I would give the green light for hypertensive patients who are on medication(s) and have a relatively good control BP (<145/90mmHg). Anything more than that means that your BP is poorly controlled. I would start medication(s) first before giving the go ahead. But this rule only applies to those patients with Essential hypertension (idiopathic hypertension-meaning that there is no underlying cause to the hypertension). Those with secondary hypertension (young hypertensives) probably having underlying renal or adrenal disease should get themselves thoroughly investigated and completely treated before resuming diving.

Is that fair enough for those hypertensives out there???


Point noted. So it mean those this sport is not suitable for those with hypertension?  :-/
wmwoo
 
Topic author

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#11  Postby Bones » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Wmwoo,

If I may answer, what we mean is that those with hypertension may indulge in diving provided that blood pressure is under control. Divedoc has given a rough guide but you still need to liase with your physician to determine fitness to dive. Adhering to your treatment and dietary restriction is important in ensuring good pressure control.
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#12  Postby joe » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:52 pm

SD..whats the diastolic BP for a fit person?found out 60++ to be athletic  [-(


SeaDemon wrote:Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?
by joetahir
joe
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: Penang, KL
Gender: None specified

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#13  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Joe...between 60 to 70 I would say is good. 70-80 is average. Below 60 is a tinge too low.

Maybe Bones would be a better person to answer.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#14  Postby divedoc » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:24 am

joe wrote:SD..whats the diastolic BP for a fit person?found out 60++ to be athletic  [-(


SeaDemon wrote:Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?



I do not think there is such a thing as a diastolic pressure of a fit person. However, if one is fit enough (athletic enough, to be politically correct), one should gauge their pulse rate to ascertain their fitness level.

A diastolic pressure of 70-85 is actually what one should aim for. Anything more or less than that, one should have their BP check every once in a while to confirm hypertension (>90mmHg) or hypotension (<60mmHg).
User avatar
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: Somewhere in Damansara
Gender: None specified

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#15  Postby joe » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:13 am

divedoc wrote:
joe wrote:SD..whats the diastolic BP for a fit person?found out 60++ to be athletic  [-(


SeaDemon wrote:Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?



I do not think there is such a thing as a diastolic pressure of a fit person. However, if one is fit enough (athletic enough, to be politically correct), one should gauge their pulse rate to ascertain their fitness level.

A diastolic pressure of 70-85 is actually what one should aim for. Anything more or less than that, one should have their BP check every once in a while to confirm hypertension (>90mmHg) or hypotension (<60mmHg).


ic..then whats the pulse rate for fit person?not know much bout this but suddenly concern on my body :P..neway,thanx bro doc..u too SD bro
by joetahir
joe
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: Penang, KL
Gender: None specified

Re: High blood pressure & diving

Post Number:#16  Postby divedoc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:20 am

joe wrote:
divedoc wrote:
joe wrote:SD..whats the diastolic BP for a fit person?found out 60++ to be athletic  [-(


SeaDemon wrote:Wah...a systolic pressure of 145 is just slightly higher than the AHA guideline of 140/90. BSAC puts it at 160/90 which I think is a bit too high for systolic.

For those with controlled BP, what do you suggest they do during a dive trip, before a dive and post-dive? Any recommendations to them about how not to aggravate their condition during a dive trip?



I do not think there is such a thing as a diastolic pressure of a fit person. However, if one is fit enough (athletic enough, to be politically correct), one should gauge their pulse rate to ascertain their fitness level.

A diastolic pressure of 70-85 is actually what one should aim for. Anything more or less than that, one should have their BP check every once in a while to confirm hypertension (>90mmHg) or hypotension (<60mmHg).


ic..then whats the pulse rate for fit person?not know much bout this but suddenly concern on my body :P..neway,thanx bro doc..u too SD bro


A pulse rate of <60 beats per minute makes you fit enuff...provided u're not on any medications that slows down ur heart rate, such as beta-blockers e.g Atenolol, Metoprolol etc...
User avatar
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: Somewhere in Damansara
Gender: None specified


Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron