MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Dengue Fever and Diving

Dengue Fever and Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Dengue Fever and Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:32 am

Dengue fever is a vector-borne illness that is increasingly affecting the lives of Malaysians, especially common in the Klang Valley. It is also rampant in other equatorial countries such as in central Africa and Latin America. For the uninitiated, there are 4 types of Dengue virus...DEN-1 through DEN-4, and you do not get cross-protective immunity if you have gotten dengue from one type of virus. This means that if you are living in a Dengue-prone area, you are most likely to get dengue fever four times.

It usually takes around 2 weeks for a victim of the normal dengue fever to make a full recovery if the victm has suffered the classic dengue fever, and probably longer for those suffering from haemorrhagic dengue fever. The former category will suffer lethargy and/or depression for several weeks further.

My questions are:

1) How long before a recovered dengue victim can return to scuba diving in (a) classic dengue fever, and, (b) haemmorhagic dengue fever; and,

2) Does the victim require any further medical examination before going back to scuba diving?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: Dengue Fever and Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby mocha » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:09 pm

so when are we visiting suspected dangue patient??  ;)
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby evo5555 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 pm

yala wei,..hehe
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby bobo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:45 pm

alahai...pity on him...  ;)
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:01 pm

That guy is negative for HIV la dengue la...but his white blood cell count is above average. I suspect he hasn't been donating white blood to his girlfriend....eh, [highlight]what goes on on the island stays on the island [/highlight]::)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby zzz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Who has dengue???

Btw SD the main thing bout dengue is the platelet count not the white count :)
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby evo5555 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:20 am

That guy is negative for HIV la dengue la...but his white blood cell count is above average. I suspect he hasn't been donating white blood to his girlfriend....eh, [highlight]what goes on on the island stays on the island [/highlight]::)

haha.,...ini sudah kes ganas ni?I tot he donated in the island? ;D
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 am

Who has dengue???

Btw SD the main thing bout dengue is the platelet count not the white count :)

I never said the two statements are related  :P I said he tested -ve for DEN but his WBC's high with temperature evident. So he could be having anything from yeast infection of the v.a.g.i.n.a or diverticulitis, to the other extreme would be the Big 'L'.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:29 am

haha.,...ini sudah kes ganas ni?I tot he donated in the island? ;D

Ya lor..he and EZ were the two most attractive eligible bachelors then...eh,  ::)[highlight]what goes on on the island stays on the island[/highlight] ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby spazm » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:30 am

visited our friend last nite... he was already bored until the auntie nurses started to look hot to him....so I passed him some "magazines"..heh heh..:)

it could be viral rather than dengue..:)
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby zimm » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:38 am

we're not meant to dive together......but i hope he will recover soon.....
take care bro ;)
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:43 am

visited our friend last nite... he was already bored until the auntie nurses started to look hot to him....so I passed him some "magazines"..heh heh..:)

it could be viral rather than dengue..:)

ahh..so you passed him the al-Islam magazine for him to drool upon? ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby mocha » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 am

i think i'll be going after lunch la...... anyone else?? can haf mini TT there... haha....
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:48 am

i think i'll be going after lunch la...... anyone else?? can haf mini TT there... haha....

SMS me when you're going. If I'm not at Serdang Hospital in the afternoon I'll go to Pantai.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby LaraCroft » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am

Aiyoooo... my poor poor baldi!

Results of test is negative for dengue. He just wanna stay longer in the hospital to look at pretty nurses.. ;D

I pray of his speedy recovery. Take care bro.. err let the nurses take care of you.

Heeeyyy guys, I want to follow to go visit him!!
LaraCroft

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby mocha » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

Aiyoooo... my poor poor baldi!

Results of test is negative for dengue. He just wanna stay longer in the hospital to look at pretty nurses.. ;D

I pray of his speedy recovery. Take care bro.. err let the nurses take care of you.

Heeeyyy guys, I want to follow to go visit him!!

u know why?? coz he staying at Pantai... feels like staying on the beach..... and nurses all are in bikinis.... hehe... 8-)
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Wah...Divedoc must be really busy  ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:39 pm

Anyway, just to digress a bit. This whole week has been about hospitals for me.

Mainly to visit my (probably) dying Grandmother-in-law, 83 years old, sufering from pneumonia, stroke, and a secondary infection of the lungs, who is now warded at the Serdang Hospital.

So it has been a hectic week for me frequenting to the hospital as well as posting weather updates here and answering to KKK's queries.

What I am going to write about is....this fellow here:

The person above is Deepblu. Mocha and I went to visit him this afternoon, and he is off the drip now...albeit with swollen hands probably due to fluid retention. His fingers, especially the middle one is very big now, so his girlfriend's going to be a happy person for a while  ::) ;D.

His platelet count is low, and so is his leukocyte count. His BP is normal, as well as his pulse. Yet he still suffers from vertigo. Mocha and I came out with our own diagnosis based on the info given to us but we cannot divulge such information here as many are below the age of maturity to be able to understand it.

Anyway, he now wants to rest for 10 days so he can go to Redang with Bobo and 19 other divers to see whose camera can have best focus lock in all the sand being kicked up.

He says Hello to all and cannot log in for a while because his notebook is in the office. He doesn't believe in having a PC and landline at home like me.

Okay, Deepblu...one more pose for the road, bro!

SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby bobo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 pm

if he discharge tomorrow, at least he need 4 days to overcome the vertigo.. but best la, feel like high every time hehehe...

i was like him b4... but after the insurance agent give me cheque for being warded, it took me only one day to overcome everything hehehe...

get well soon bro....  ;)
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby LaraCroft » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Awww... my poor poor 'baldi'. Get well soon darlin.
LaraCroft

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Awww... my poor poor 'baldi'. Get well soon darlin.

Wah...very quick you see his swollen finger ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby bobo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 pm

my finger also swollen  ;D
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby asriali » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:50 pm

glad to see he's doing ok... true MUW member, maintain kain pelikat throughout his ordeal  ;D ;D ;D
asriali

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby divedoc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm

So sori lah bro, i baru balik from holidays with my family...not enough time to check the website.

So far i have yet to encounter any specific guideline or literature on Diving and Dengue fever. So i can't comment much on it if u ask my opinion. Since Deepblu's diagnosis is almost certain to be Dengue fever, it is actually up to him to evaluate on the timeframe of when he is fit enough to dive. There is no hard or fast rule about it (none that i have encountered so far, though!).

It is best that Deepblu have his CBCs (Complete blood count) re-checked before he jumps into the water again, just to be safe. If his platelet count is still lowish, i wouldn't advise him on diving, coz any trauma(even minimal) to the body during a dive may result in excessive bleeding internally...but if his blood counts come back as normal, and he no longer has vertigo, and feels completely fine, than by all means, dive away...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:37 am

So sori lah bro, i baru balik from holidays with my family...not enough time to check the website.

So far i have yet to encounter any specific guideline or literature on Diving and Dengue fever. So i can't comment much on it if u ask my opinion. Since Deepblu's diagnosis is almost certain to be Dengue fever, it is actually up to him to evaluate on the timeframe of when he is fit enough to dive. There is no hard or fast rule about it (none that i have encountered so far, though!).

It is best that Deepblu have his CBCs (Complete blood count) re-checked before he jumps into the water again, just to be safe. If his platelet count is still lowish, i wouldn't advise him on diving, coz any trauma(even minimal) to the body during a dive may result in excessive bleeding internally...but if his blood counts come back as normal, and he no longer has vertigo, and feels completely fine, than by all means, dive away...

Thanks Divedoc...now I can put on my dive gear in front of Deepblu  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby deepblu » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:04 pm

wah..

there is actually a thread on me in here.

i feel so special  ::) ::) ;D ;D

btw, a very belated mucho thx(i just found this thread) for the well wishes.

:)
Last edited by deepblu on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby zzz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:05 am

Glad you're now well deepblu :)

How's is the vertigo? It may take a while to dissapear.
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby deepblu » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 am

Glad you're now well deepblu :)

How's is the vertigo? It may take a while to dissapear.

vertigo is now a lil bit better, thx...now that the nasty stuff has cleared from my sinus passages.
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby jgshuwei » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Hope u get well soon...
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby deepblu » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:34 pm

Hope u get well soon...

thx bro. m oredi up and about, tho not exactly jumping around ler.

was told that it would take up to three months to regain my "energy".

i wonder how true that is.
deepblu

Topic author

Next

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness