MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - URTI and Diving

URTI and Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

URTI and Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Tue May 22, 2007 2:02 am

Divedoc's been missing  ;D

So I'm gonna shoot this question:

Dear Dive Doc,

Someone has URTI with absence of nasal congestion. Phlegmatic cough, tonsilitis are evident. Temperature back to normal. Treatment include Amoxicillin, Diphenhydramine HCl and Paracetamol for previous evident presence of temperature...hehehe.

Should this person dive?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: URTI and Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby bijan » Tue May 22, 2007 2:50 am

[highlight]Definition[/highlight] of URTI(courtesy of wikipedia):

Upper respiratory tract infections, commonly referred to the acronym URTI, is the illness caused by an acute infection which involves the upper respiratory tract: nose, sinuses, pharynx, larynx, or bronchi.

Read more here..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_resp ... _infection
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby jgshuwei » Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 am

[highlight]Definition[/highlight] of URTI(courtesy of wikipedia):

Upper respiratory tract infections, commonly referred to the acronym URTI, is the illness caused by an acute infection which involves the upper respiratory tract: nose, sinuses, pharynx, larynx, or bronchi.

Read more here..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_resp ... _infection

Good one! Thanks.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby divedoc » Fri May 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Dear Dive Doc,

Someone has URTI with absence of nasal congestion. Phlegmatic cough, tonsilitis are evident. Temperature back to normal. Treatment include Amoxicillin, Diphenhydramine HCl and Paracetamol for previous evident presence of temperature...hehehe.

Should this person dive?

Alamak, why la u ask questions like this one??? Next time, ask larr...."Can this person dive??"

If u ask me, should this person dive?? The answer is NO lah. But if u ask me, can this person dive, the answer is YES.

The difference is, if u have URTI symptoms and u have no options, YOU CAN DIVE. But if u have URTI symptoms and u have an option of not diving, then choose that option.

No one should dive under those circumstances u gave. But if u have no options, and i mean options such as in S&R, the u have to lah...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby SeaDemon » Fri May 25, 2007 3:36 pm

Dear Dive Doc,

Should this person dive?

Alamak, why la u ask questions like this one??? Next time, ask larr...."Can this person dive??"

If u ask me, should this person dive?? The answer is NO lah. But if u ask me, can this person dive, the answer is YES.

The difference is, if u have URTI symptoms and u have no options, YOU CAN DIVE. But if u have URTI symptoms and u have an option of not diving, then choose that option.

No one should dive under those circumstances u gave. But if u have no options, and i mean options such as in S&R, the u have to lah...

Next time I give different symptoms  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby divedoc » Fri May 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Dear Dive Doc,

Should this person dive?

Next time I give different symptoms  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regardless of symptoms, if u have URTI and u are on medications that cause drowsiness, don't dive. If u do, please understand all the risks involved (sinus, middle ear barotrauma etc...)
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby SeaDemon » Fri May 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Too late la Doc. Someone with those symptoms is now in Layang-Layang ;D ::)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby divedoc » Fri May 25, 2007 3:51 pm

zimm is it?? Yup, she consulted me a couple of days ago, giving me her symptoms and meds, but i gave her the green light to go diving in Layang-Layang. Told her to stay off the cough syrup, but to continue on the antibiotics.
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Fri May 25, 2007 3:58 pm

Okay then. I'll look for other illnesses to ask you. :P
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby nizaha » Fri May 25, 2007 10:03 pm

not much you can say right now..i hope she will listen to her body...to dive or not to dive !
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby zzz » Sat May 26, 2007 8:49 pm

Waaaah SD... u really enjoy thinking of ways making divedoc prove his worth in MUW...   ;D ;D
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 28, 2007 2:54 am

Waaaah SD... u really enjoy thinking of ways making divedoc prove his worth in MUW...   ;D ;D

I'm a sadist...hehehe...much like ortho surgeons  :P ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby zzz » Mon May 28, 2007 12:04 pm

[quote]

hehehehe.....  ;)
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby ikan » Tue May 29, 2007 12:20 am

Alo broooo ... my wife is an ortho surgeon, and i can attest to you that we dont dig S&M, and we dont have any cuff or whip lying around the bedr(ooopsssss ... too much info la) ....... lying around the house
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby SeaDemon » Tue May 29, 2007 12:47 am

Alo broooo ... my wife is an ortho surgeon, and i can attest to you that we dont dig S&M, and we dont have any cuff or whip lying around the bedr(ooopsssss ... too much info la) ....... lying around the house

Hmm...where's the fun in that?

She doesn't perform arthroscopy in bed? No usage of the saw and extractor tool? Eh, that's for post-mortems ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby zimm » Tue May 29, 2007 9:40 pm

zimm is it?? Yup, she consulted me a couple of days ago, giving me her symptoms and meds, but i gave her the green light to go diving in Layang-Layang. Told her to stay off the cough syrup, but to continue on the antibiotics.

hi doc, praise to Allah, i'm back in 1 piece.
my caugh was rather bad when i arrived layang2 but staying away fr ais water & keep myself warm especially after diving & while sleeping really helped. i got my voice back with light caugh during the day but some night was rather bad. i'm back wit my caugh syrup now. Allah willing, i'm gettin better now.
tks again
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SeaDemon » Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

my caugh was rather bad when i arrived layang2 but staying away fr ais water & keep myself warm especially after diving & while sleeping really helped. i got my voice back with light caugh during the day but some night was rather bad. i'm back wit my caugh syrup now. Allah willing, i'm gettin better now.
tks again

Stay away from citrus fruits..oranges, lime, lemon (so no tequilla) ;D ;D ;D

And no watermelon! >:( ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby zimm » Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 pm

tks again

Stay away from citrus fruits..oranges, lime, lemon (so no tequilla) ;D ;D ;D

And no watermelon! >:( ;D ;D ;D

tks bro.....but as long nitrogen is still a OK ;)
zimm

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness