MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Blood test after dive

Blood test after dive

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Blood test after dive

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 am

[font=arial]Apparently I had to undergo a blood test a day after my dive and I found out from my doc[/font]
[font=arial]My liver function profile had gone bonkers. I’m sure not many of us have ever had a blood test after a dive trip right?[/font]
[font=arial]This was my first so it quite interesting to know the result.[/font]
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial]Anyhow below is the description of liver test profile[/font]
[font=arial]What are liver function tests?[/font]
[font=arial]As the liver performs its various functions it makes chemicals that pass into the bloodstream and bile. Various liver disorders alter the blood level of these chemicals. Some of these chemicals can be measured in a blood sample. Some tests that are commonly done on a blood sample are called liver function tests (LFTs). These usually measure the following:[/font]
[font=arial]Alanine transaminase (ALT). This is an enzyme that helps to process proteins. (An enzyme is a protein that helps to speed up chemical reactions. Various enzymes occur in the cells in the body.) Large amounts of ALT occur in liver cells. When the liver is injured or inflamed (as in hepatitis), the blood level of ALT usually rises.[/font]
[font=arial]The average  range  (0-41)[/font]
[font=arial]Aspartate aminotransferase (AST). This is another enzyme usually found inside liver cells. When a blood test detects high levels of this enzyme in the blood it usually means the liver is injured in some way. However AST can also be released if heart or skeletal muscle is damaged. For this reason ALT is usually considered to be more specifically related to liver problems.[/font]
[font=arial]The average range (0-40)[/font]
[font=arial]Alkaline phosphatase (ALP). This enzyme occurs mainly in liver cells next to bile ducts, and in bone. The blood level is raised in some types of liver and bone disease.[/font]
[font=arial]The average range (30-120)[/font]
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial]My result[/font]
[font=arial]ALT – 205 (0-41)[/font]
[font=arial]AST – 126 (0-40)[/font]
[font=arial]ALP – 131 (30-120)[/font]
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial]The doc was kind enough to panic on my behalf :D . She told me I could have a heart failure or I have some muscle injury. I simply told her , I just back from dive trip yesterday. Maybe that could be the cause.[/font]
[font=arial]I used a lot of energy and then I just arrived home about 2am in the morning and had to be back at the office at 8am.[/font]
[font=arial]Doc then said to me just to be sure I had to undergo another blood test in another 5days. I told her no can do doc cause I need to go to another dive trip by the end of the week.[/font]
[font=arial]Normally the patient had to make appointment with the doc. It’s the other way around for me , the doc had to asked me when is the time I will not be doing any diving[/font]
[font=arial]Hahahaha .Quite funny when I recalled my session with my doc. I came up with so many excuses to each of my off chart result.[/font]
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial]I think such result would also come out the same after doing some kind of aggressive sports.[/font]
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Blood test after dive

Post Number:#2  Postby tim » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am

How does diving affect your health, did she tell you?
tim

Post Number:#3  Postby DM » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

hi run, health is more important than diving, u mention that heart failure might happen. what if this happen under water? pls take good care.
if the trip is local, may be next time. if abroad then do the check up b4 u go.
hope it is just some error in the result. may u be healthy.
Be happy, rain or shine, wet or dry!! ;)
DM
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks DM for the thought. It was very angel of u  :angel8: . I'm sure it was because of i hadn't enough rest. I used a lot of energy . Didn't had enough sleep thou i didn't feel tired at all during the trip.My brain fuction that way while driving and diving but once i blackout (sleep) i will totally blackout.
I do check up with my doc after any of my dive trip and i did my ECG test and it showed my heart working just fine
like any normal person.

Tim, she said " oh you are such an enjoyable person to do such thing. Can you introduce me to anyone so that my son can join scuba too?"
That what she said to me hahahaha. Doc always prescribe the best medicine and my doc told me if the diving could reduce down my
cholestrol then carry on with it hahaha.
What a life  B-)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Post Number:#5  Postby Narco » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Can suggest/introduce the doctor to us? hehe..

Unless i miss something, u got a heart condition ka?
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness