MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - need advice from senior divers

need advice from senior divers

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

need advice from senior divers

Post Number:#1  Postby nadzir30 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 pm

hi guys..i'm a newly certified OWD with 8 dives now and really interested in buying my own diving sets (BCD,regulators and dive computer)..is it worth it buying it personally and which i should invest my money in first either BCD,regulators or dive computer?
nadzir30
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 1

Re: need advice from senior divers

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Got money (lots of money) then buy all.. hahaha

No money, at least start with a GOOD mask and a GOOD pair of fins. Thease two are personal stuff.

BCs, DC, Reg all can wait. Mine nearly all second hand.. but a very GOOD second hand.. hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby nadzir30 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:45 pm

thanks narco for ur advice...i'll keep that in mind
nadzir30
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby tim » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:06 am

Don't buy at all.

I always hear people saying they want to sell all their equipment after "giving up diving".
tim

Post Number:#5  Postby alex » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 am

How often do you dive? Once a month? Once a year?

You will dive with more comfort if you have your own set, coz you know how it works and where things are....

But if you are diving once a year - Get a mask and a dive comp will do!
happy to be back....
alex
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Steven » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:29 pm

To buy or not to buy. Personally, it's all up to you.

Some people buy their own gear 'cuz they don't like the idea that the mouth piece has been in other people's mulut. Yikes!!!  :P
Some people buy their own gear 'cus they don't like the idea of using a used wet suit as they don't know if the previous user got skin problems or not, etc, etc, etc
Some people buy their own gear 'cuz it's cool to show off your new gear

If you dive twice a year ... consider hard
If you dive every month buy your own.
If you got a lot of spare $$$ buy the best.

Like Narco, I buy some new, I buy some used. And I also buy 'cuz of itchy fingers as the deal is just to good to pass  :D
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby keenfreedom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Very depends.
For me, the 1st thing i bought right after OW is a wetsuit, i scared of cold water and a wetsuit really make me warm.
You should consider to buy mask and fin whether u dive very frequent or not  so frequent. This 2 are very personal and if u r comfortable with the mask and fin then u may enjoy every dive wherever u go.
You should consider seriously to buy a divecomp because it might save ur life down there. It happend to me once when i lost my buddy(and also everybody) during a dive, and i managed to do my safety stop.
So how about other gear? it depends on ur wallet. :P
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 pm

no one want to advice buying a piece of snorkel?? tsk.tsk..
buy a snorkel. Yes it is a luosy thing to be dangling beside ur face but that is one of the important thing that could safe ur life on the surface of the water.
if u are not a good swimmer, a snorkel is good for you.
What if suddenly the water get choppy on the surface after a dive. u left with no air in the tank. The waves hitting ur face non-stop. How will u breath? Most cases of drowning happen when facing complication on the surface of the water.
Just my 2 cents safety advise.

BCD, reg or dive comp.
BCD u can always rent, but if you are a small person who finds it difficult to find ur size then buy one.
Reg u can always rent, the Dive center will always do maintaince for these stuff and disinfect them with dettol.
Dive comp, ask yourself why do you want a dive comp in the 1st place? Sorry keenfreedom i have nothing against your comment
keenfreedom wrote:. It happend to me once when i lost my buddy(and also everybody) during a dive, and i managed to do my safety stop.

but doing safety stop is just easy by looking at the gauge (unless your reg dont have any depth gauge) By right when any diver separated from a buddy just 1 minute search , safety stop and surface. Whether it was just 10min or 30min or 50min from your bottom time.
Even when you dont bring any watch(conventional hand watch). Doing safety stop doesnt stop you from counting 1-180 (180sec = 3min)  B-) . Yeap i counted once before. Silly but it works. Then i had enough of counting and bring along my hand-watch.
Dive comp becomes handy because we all do repetitive dives and we need to know our pressure group before getting into the next dive and why do we need to know our pressure group? We dont want DCS and chamber. This is the reason why dive comp is popular right now and why less divers getting any deep dives and multilevel dive course speciality.

For u who had only 8 dives it is still difficult for you to determine which is the best BCD, reg and dive comp.
Get your bouyancy streamline first. When you already how your body works that is best to buy for potential BCD. Some BCD looks awesome, but too heavy for travel. Some looks so light but difficult to handle underwater. Reg there are light and heavy. Bulky and small. Swivel. Easy to find spare parts, not so easy. Maintainance fee and so on. Its like owning a car.

back to basic , ur money ur call.
Last edited by run on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#9  Postby ericcc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:14 am

Nadzir, first,  evaluate how hard-core u gonna be, or like Tim states very accurately, some ppl do give up diving after their course.

From my experience - i got a mask first cos i need prescription lenses.

Then i got fins - this is important for the comfort and the power / speed (rental fins are.. hmm... u pinjam someone's fin to try so u can compare).  its amazing how much more dive time i gained by using own fins.

Only last month (after 2 years plus of diving) i got my bcd and reg, and i must say it's a good buy, felt so safe and comfy. had enuff of leaky regs!

again, if you are OK with rental equipment, then just go with it. They're usually OK. and saltwater kills all germs hahahah. all up to you and your budget
ericcc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby nadzir30 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:38 am

thanks to all senior divers...and now i know what to buy first....maybe we can meet and dive together someday...perhaps come to langkawi and we can dive at Pulau Payar, as i'm staying in langkawi
nadzir30
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby tim » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:29 am

Why dive Payar... it is 1.5 hours away. Koh Lipe is only an hour to the west. Dives at Koh Lipe are better and cheaper also.
tim

Post Number:#12  Postby keenfreedom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 am

I agree with Tim, Koh Lipe is a nice place to dive, we might arrange for it.  :angel8:
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby nadzir30 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 pm

is it?maybe we can arrange a dive at koh lipe one day....
nadzir30
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby keenfreedom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes Nadzir.
Anyway i m going to perhentian this month end 22-26 April.Feel free to join me. :angel8:
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby weugene » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am

run wrote:Reg u can always rent, the Dive center will always do maintaince for these stuff and disinfect them with dettol.
Dive comp, ask yourself why do you want a dive comp in the 1st place?

just want to share my experience regarding the importance of a reg and dive comp. Disclaimer, i'm not a SUPER experienced diver but this is just my opinion.

anyway, i just came back from a local dive trip and was diving with an island based DC (first time). Normally i dive with my dive school but this was a family trip so i took the chance to dive while i was there. Of all the gears we use, i have everything except a regulator and a dive comp.

1. the reg the DC rented to me was faulty. About 10 minutes into the dive, my reg started flooding with water and after 2-3 seconds of drinking sea water, I calmed myself down and picked up my alternate air source. Thankfully, it was *sort of* working. I say sort of because i could breathe through it BUT i couldn't purge the mouth piece.  The flooding of the reg ruined the rest of my dive cos i was so paranoid it would fail again. Once the DM saw that i was breathing again, he continued the dive. Some may say that my mistake here is that i should have aborted my dive. Oh well :p

2. secondly, the reg they gave us doesn't come with a depth gauge, but only a pressure gauge. Which means, i would need to stick extremely close to the DM and if i got lost and tried to do a safety stop, i can't cos i don't know how deep i was. Learned my lesson after that. Next morning, i self picked out a reg with a depth gauge cos i was doing a wreck dive.

Anyway, enough rambling. My point here is that if you can afford it and plan to dive regularly, spend some money on your gear. I just started diving last sept and have logged 27 dives in 3 trips but i feel the necessity of having my own gear. Some people say buy BC first, some say buy dive comp first and some say get a regulator first. Not everyone has the ability to buy everything all at once, so buy what you feel is necessary for you. From how i see it, diving is expensive to start off, but once you have your own gear, the cost is manageable. At the end of the day, you are paying for your own safety. Having your own gear will give you a piece of mind as you will be adjusted to your gear and most importantly, this will allow you to feel more confident in the water.
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#16  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am

i am not senior enough to give advise hehe.... B-)
nadzir30,
do post a review about pulau payar if u dive there, wonder how pulau payar lately.
weugene,
u can buy 1 gear at a time before u go for a trip, after 10 diving trips, u have a complete gears haha... :D
and sell what ever u don't want......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Narco » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

Good point weugene and a good case study too. Undortunately some DC fail to maintain their equipment well. Some left their reg and BCs in poor condition hardly without service for years. Of course, those gears will obviously fail underwater. Some just clean if physically and make it look good. But deep inside, all the washer, o ring and what not are counting moments to fail.

This has been discuss again and again. Obviously, it is good to have your own gears. Should you get your own gear? That is something you should be answering yourself. As discussed earlier, the frequency of you going for a dive does matter. Remember, buying equipments means that you are also responsible in maintaining it. After a year of diving, i bought my own BC (new from MIDE - couldnt resist the slashed price) ad a reg (second hand from a diver in the UK). I bought my DC last year from a friend (also second hand for RM150 with a bloody good condition/performance). However, i did bought my fin and mask after my certification.

A friend of mine was sayin, 'Its my money, my blood, my sweat' - so i will spend it they way i want to'.. hehe.. But, like me, my vault is not that big, so, i take it slow and easy.. hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#18  Postby tim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am

Because many DCs have crap gear... is actually a good reason to get your own gear.
tim

Post Number:#19  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:25 pm

when i first start diving, never thought i gonna buy gears for diving, it is expensive, just rent it, thinking the gears will be quite new and ok like the one i am using for pool practice. (wishfull thinking) B-)
well after a few dives with a few DC and a few failed regulators, overflow regulator underwater, old & uncomfortable bcd & fins,whether it is my gears or my friends/buddy gears, finally i decided to buy my own gears only after testing other people/friends/buddy gears......that is the good part about diving gears.....u got to test it out/experience other people gears before u decide to purchase B-)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions