MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Chill OUT- How to beat Stress Underwater

Chill OUT- How to beat Stress Underwater

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

Chill OUT- How to beat Stress Underwater

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 pm

TOP 10 TIPS: BEATING STRESS

1 Practise skills under stressful and task-loaded conditions in a benign environment.
2 Always make sure you dive within your own comfort zone. Only you really know its limits.
3 Thoroughly prepare for every dive and thoroughly plan every one of your dives.
4 Deal with small problems as they arise to prevent lots of small problems becoming one big one.
5 Test out only one item of new equipment at a time. No extreme dives with unfamiliar kit.
6 Don’t dive if it doesn’t feel right. Nervous excitement is not to be confused with real concern.
7 Dive with a skilled buddy when extending your personal experience.
8 If you get a problem underwater remember – stop… breathe… think… act.
9 Be fit to dive. Both physically and mentally – particularly after a longish lay-off.
10 No diving with hangovers! Don’t let a Saturday night binge ruin the dives

How to help a panicking buddy
You need to help reduce the level of stress and bring your buddy back from the brink of panic.
Put one hand on their shoulder
Establish good eye contact
Signal for them to stop and breath deeply
Often, a reassuring squeeze of the hand that lets your buddy know you're there for them is enough to calm them down

Meet the panel

Technical diving aficionado Richard Bull has worked underwater for more than 25 years. His many diving qualifications include BSAC first class diver, IANTD and TDI instructor and Norwegian commercial diver. He works as a freelance diving consultant for film and television.

BSAC’s newly appointed national diving officer, Clare Peddie, is a highly active instructor trainer, expedition leader and branch diver. She learned to dive 16 years ago and has since qualified as a BSAC national instructor, TDI trimix instructor and Dräger and Inspiration rebreather diver.

Hyperbaric physician at the Diving Diseases Research Centre, Dr Rachel Broadley, treats and studies diving-related illness. Oxygen toxity and carbon monoxide poisoning are her main areas of interest.

Ok now this is only a small portion of the reading material. Do click on this link and read
on the details cause each of them give their own opinion on the subjects given to them.

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/skills/health-a-fitness/1040-chill-out-how-to-beat-stress-underwater

1)What are the common causes of diving stress?
"Clare Peddie, BSAC national diving officer: Stress underwater can develop from lack of confidence in your own ability, your buddy’s ability, your equipment or your surface support. Panic does seem to affect trainees more often, but occasionally divers who think they are experienced will slip out of their comfort zone and suddenly find themselves in situations which are out of their control"

2)How do you recognise signs of extreme stress in yourself?
3)Does keeping fit help reduce stress levels underwater?
4)Why does depth make some divers nervous?
5)How can you combat nitrogen narcosis and reduce stress levels at depth?
6)What should you do when low visibility makes you anxious?
7)How should you deal with sudden change?
8)What should you do if you feel you’ve been pressured into a dive?
9)What about task-loading and stress?
10)How should you deal with equipment failure?
11)What if encounters with certain marine encounters make you nervous?

this one made me laugh bull said
"Bull: Try to find out the real facts about an animal’s behaviour. Two things are certain: firstly that almost all creatures described as man-eaters are nothing of the sort, and secondly nearly all aggressive behaviour by animals is in self-defence. Many people are nervous around conger eels, despite them being one of the most timid creatures in the ocean. If you are not convinced about certain animals, avoid them. However, on a recent trip to film 2m-long Humbolt squid that have beaks the size of teacups, I did have to re-evaluate my own advice!"
12)What pre-dive measures will help avoid panic and high levels of stress?
13)If you plan to further your training, such as deeper diving or more involved wreck diving, how should you deal with pre-course nerves?
14)What help is available to anxious divers who don’t want to give up diving?

run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Chill OUT- How to beat Stress Underwater

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm

U r like one scuba guru lah Run.. Hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:11 am

Guru i'm not. :$ just like to share my reading material with the forumers.
I am very happy to read this article cause even from a pro said "Often, a reassuring squeeze of the hand that lets your buddy know you're there for them is enough to calm them down".

some divers they know they are at a panic state but they wont admit it. Even when you signal "ok" with them, they will signal back "ok" to you but you know in your gut that they are panic. Best not to leave them unattended. Dont always hoping for the DM to settle this kind of case. Have a heart to help other divers in need even if they are not your buddy or not in your group.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Post Number:#4  Postby MUW » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 am

Thank you for sharing :)
MUW
Administrator
Administrator

Topics: 1