MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - NIGHT DIVING TIPS

NIGHT DIVING TIPS

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

NIGHT DIVING TIPS

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 pm

It may surprise you to know that a lot of experienced scuba divers not only recommend night diving, but prefer it over diving during the day. Novice divers often think that diving in the dark would be a miserable experience because it's difficult to see, making visibility and navigation a chore. However, night diving offers some of the most tranquil diving you'll experience. Below, you'll find 6 tips to use when venturing out into the night.

Tips Tip #1: Stick by the boat You don't need to stray far from the boat in order to have an incredible diving experience. Everything looks different when illuminated by the beam of your light. Rather than taking in the entire ocean floor, you're concentrating on small sections. So, stay nearby your boat.

Tip #2: Start early Just because it's called "night diving" doesn't mean you have to wait until it's pitch black outside. When the sun is falling behind the horizon, very little natural light is able to penetrate the surface. Start a little early and take in a bit of "dusk diving."

Tip #3: Got a light? Unless you plan to wear a miner's helmet, you'll need to invest in a dive light. Remember, everything you see underneath the surface will be illuminated by your light. So, buy a primary light that's large enough and bright enough to do the job. Also, it's a good idea to invest in a backup light. It should be much smaller and fit into one of the pockets on your wet suit. If the primary goes out, you'll have the backup ready to pick up the slack.

Tip #4: More light isn't always netter This tip is related to the previous tip. While you may think that more light than less is better at night, you don't need a spotlight down there. In fact, you'll notice a lot of experienced divers have smaller primary lights. Buy a primary light that has a powerful beam but isn't bulky. When in groups, you'll find that other divers' lights will often illuminate much of your area.

Tip #5: Learn to communicate Before venturing out on your night dive with your diving partner, make sure you both understand the signals you'll use while underwater. Some divers use their lights to communicate. Others prefer using their hands, shining their lights on them when necessary. If you become separated from your partner, get into a vertical position and rotate your light 360 degrees parallel to the ocean's surface. One of you is bound to see the other.

Tip #6: Light the shore If you're launching from shore (that is, you're not using a boat), put 2 lights on entry point (which also serves as your exit point). When it's dark, the lights will help you navigate back home. Here's a bonus tip: ask someone on the shore to watch the lights. Occasionally, someone will notice the lights sitting attended and simply take them, leaving you to find your own way back to shore.

Getting involved with night diving If you haven't been on a night dive before, you owe it to yourself to experience it. As mentioned, things underwater look very different at night. Plus, there's a tranquility about diving a night that is unmatched during the day. Use the tips above to plan your night dive. Once you've gone under the water's surface at night, you may find you prefer it to diving during the day.

taken fm diveteritory
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: NIGHT DIVING TIPS

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Light up before entering the water!
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby tim » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 am

Use a wide angle light source.

And wear a wet suit... damn easy to scrape yourself when you can't see everything.
tim

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am

changing your finning kick to frog kick. during night diving u'll be required to get close to the subject or corals.
i brought a fren of mine to experinced night diving and on her virgin night dive , i forgot to tell her that she got to change her finning kick. It was hard trying to teach someone with hand signals underwater at night.
Luckily she was bright enough to understand what i told her and she changed to frog kick.

this a link of the kick illustration.
http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/ss/200304TI_02_aliveandkicking.gif
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby toodus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 pm

My night diving tips :
1. Always stay shallow. Depth of 4m and I have seen coral cat shark, bobtail squid, spanish dancer, zebra moray eel,etc
2. Always do night dives where there is a slope. Either on your left or right so you'd know your direction.
3. Never dive with uw photographers during night dive because it could be quite intense if you're a uw photographer yourself.   
    Everybody's fighting to take pics of nudi/octopus, blenny,etc and sand stirs up.
4. Bring a spare torch. My torch died twice but someone loaned me his spare one. Buy my China made dive torch !!

My other night diving tips :
1. Use a torch if you can't see. A dim light will do to see what's what and where's where.Plus, it's romantic.
2. An inflated sausage/SMB is important during ascend
3. Remove unwanted clothing in order not to get in the way of the night diving
4. Never exert yourself during night dives. 30 minutes is good enough to cover everything.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#6  Postby Narco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

And if u r diving with a buddy, do not play hide and seek or disappear during the dive. The poor fella will be worried sick and might have to end the dive early because of a missing buddy. Such a waste of time and add into the stress. Diving is suppose to be fun!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Toodus when you said ur torch died on you twice made me remembered my nite dive in phuket.
In my last nite dive, my torch ran out its battery so I told my buddy its dead and I am going to stick
With her. Then suddenly the DM came to me, he said his torch dead. I told mine’s
Dead too. There was other group of divers dived earlier than us and that group was heading to the surface to finished the dive.
The DM signal me to wait and follow the other group to the surface,
I was already thinking…”waaa this is great. No need to dive with torch. Just follow buddy enuf”.
Then suddenly the DM came back with a torch for him and for me. The torch he gave was very bright LED.
“Haiya..baru mau rasa night diving no torch”. After examine the appearance of torch, makes me even more
Uncomfortable. Die la, this torch belongs to Scubatim and if I heared it right he told me that the torch
Cost him RM1k+. If this torch gone, I’m gone. Why lar Rut handed me Tim’s torch.
I buckled and grip the torch tightly until on the boat.

Be alert during night dive, barracudas and sharks might be just next or beside you. They don’t intend to attack you (I hope)
They are using your lights to detect their food. So you will encounter a time when your lights hit the small fishes and suddenly
Bigger fishes, morays past in front of you and snatch the smaller fish.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby reztitan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm

i lost my buddy once during a nite dive... only to find out later both his lights was out and he had wore a wrong mask (non power) during the dive. He surfaced and waited for us to surface.
Lucky it was a only shore dive. And the sea was like disco dance floor, with so many lights from different divers. To make the experience even better, there were 2 different groups down there.
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#9  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm

reztitan wrote:To make the experience even better, there were 2 different groups down there.

Ah yess when we nite dive the only thing we can point and see clearly is the divers fins and butt in front of us.
So it helps a lot for you to know ur buddy's fin or anything that ez for you to know that is your buddy.
i wrote my name on my fin. ez for my buddy to know its me.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Narco » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 am

Another thing.. It would be good to prepare early. Just to avoid us becoming kelam kabut. When the kelam kabut happen, we tend to forget and misplaced stuff. I've heard divers who actually forgot to put batteries into their torch for a nite dive. They left a bundle of newly bought batteries in plastic bag on a bench. They even forgot to check by lighting up the torch before the dive.
What a waste..

So, do put all the gears together as early possible. And check and recheck. Cautious mind led to a safe and enjoyable dive.. Hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#11  Postby decimal86 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:15 pm

here's a tip...when you switch on your torch and its dangling from a lanyard? try to "armpit" your torch or else when you backroll/giant leap into the water, its liable to hit you in the face.

i wear my torch on my facemask. or on my gloves.

always bring an extra.....i am lit up like James Cameron's submersible at night! focus light on my Inon 240, my mask light and my glove light!

and i have a strobe-light on my tank as well.

if the DM does not mind, put a glostick on his tank. then you will know who to follow if it gets crowded.

never never shine your torch on a Baracuda...he will think you want to play!

always shine on the spot you plan to settle before touching down cuz there could be a ray underneath or worse...Bobit!

always make your gauges glow by shining your torch on them before entering the water.

dont gather round the ladder if its crowded, a lot of tanks have banged heads there esp at night

dont shine your lights at the boatmen, they had good night vision thats how they saw you, now its gone...and so will your goggles when you think you have handed to them.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:44 pm

oh my is this u decimal??
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby decimal86 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:41 pm

no but i am working on it.....hahaha...seriously you cannot have enough lights! ever since a snake swam past my camera whilst i was shooting a spanish dancer....
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#14  Postby Narco » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Haha.. i love to follow those with this kind of lights. it should be bright enough for the others as well.

Good luck Decimal and let me know when u gonna do ur night dive.. hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#15  Postby pseudo » Sat May 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I just had my first night dive recently, and everyone was like the Star Wars movies. Breathing like Darth Vader and all having light sabers :P

Yeap, check the torches first before diving make sure its working. And when you decent, shine your torch down so you know if your landing pad is clear.
pseudo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Sen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 pm

hi everyone,

something to share on night dive.... torch is an an important tool  during a nite dive, the fundamental preparation is to make sure the battery is full or new sets, o-ring are properly sealed, that's preparation before entering the water, but in UW is different, diving at nite is not the same as in day time, totally darkness is the cause of panic and anxiety. Usually it would happen to new nite divers, suggestions are:-

1) choose the site where u had been dive before or been dive in day time before(familiar site), at least u have an idea of the dive site location(UW) and depth. (prefer shallow maybe max 12m)

2) always stay at least one arm length with yr buddy to avoid knocking or kicking each other faces...

3) Basic navigation skills must know that's why only advanced divers n' above are allowed to do nite dive. Set yr baring before enter water or the when the boat completely stop.

4) Never skip briefing. (ask if u r not sure what the DM/inst saying).

5) Bring only necessary items UW, don't make yr slef looks like a Christmas tree, this is to prevent tangle on something. prefer no pointer (no point to bang yr tank when is dark, nobody know where is coming from, use yr torch to communicate).

6) Possible a descending or ascending line.

7) If yr exit point is the entry point (need to swim back), make sure yr air pressure is 100bar for each way. ( regardless if u r a fish or air sucker).

8) Dive coverage area should be small/short, with slow paste.

9) Try to finish yr dive at 5m, so u don't ve to hovering at mid water perform SS.

10) Those with camera n' strobes, try to get the strobe with a focus light so u can use it as a torch too, but always carry a small torch just in-case strobe battery went flat.

Hope these would help.
Sen
Diver
Diver

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions