MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - fishing at marine parks/diving sites

fishing at marine parks/diving sites

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

fishing at marine parks/diving sites

Post Number:#1  Postby viladines » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm

I do not condone fishing in any form at marine park, especially at diving sites.

In Sabah, the Sabah Parks director told me that fishing line and hook is allowed within the marine parks under Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Regulations 1974.

I personally think this is nonsense. Marine park is a protected area. Fishing should not be allowed in the area, especially at diving sites. It poses danger to divers in the water and it definitely harms the marine life (turtles especially).

As a diving enthusiast, what is your view on this?
cheers,
viladines
viladines
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: fishing at marine parks/diving sites

Post Number:#2  Postby solo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Around Perhentian Islands there are also marine parks but fishermen play cat and mouse game with the "not so serious" marine park enforcement officers.  There are also  reports that many of the dive centers hunt fish with spearguns to be sold to the resort guests....that is why you get less and less large fish around the islands, I guess.  It would be ideal if TOTAL BAN be imposed on Marine park fishing.  No exception be given to island fishermen as they are already making good money from tourism....at the moment they are just making quick bucks by fishing in the marine park!!
solo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby stupidhead » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm

there are multiple issues involved here... marine parks have to cater for multiple needs i.e. (1) for marine life conservation & (2) for sustainable recreation use and tourism. there may be others, but those are secondary.

fishing by lines & hooks, with size control (i.e. undersize fish must be released) are considered fair recreation use in marine parks in most countries.

it is not uncommon to hear of recreation divers and recreation fishermen (and their various vendors & operators) arguing over who has the [exclusive] right to use certain areas.

it's still arguable which "sport" is more destructive to marine life - line fishing or diving.

spearfishing is a different issue altogether. it's not fair sport, especially the way it is done in malaysia (illegally), and is universally disallowed in marine parks all over the world.

divers, esp new divers need to study the issues with objectivity and not get all self-righteous especially over the environmental friendliness of the dive tourism industry.

also, divers should learn to dive safely where there are fishing lines in the water.
stupidhead
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby MACHA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

viladines wrote:I do not condone fishing in any form at marine park, especially at diving sites.

In Sabah, the Sabah Parks director told me that fishing line and hook is allowed within the marine parks under Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Regulations 1974.

I personally think this is nonsense. Marine park is a protected area. Fishing should not be allowed in the area, especially at diving sites. It poses danger to divers in the water and it definitely harms the marine life (turtles especially).

As a diving enthusiast, what is your view on this?

Marine Parks in Malaysia / Sabah should review & consider a more practical regulations....For instance Pulau Redang & Perhentian, where there's inhabitants which been living there a few hundred years..

Alternative Livelihood
Introduce Alternative Livelihood where it provides local communities ( Islanders ) who are involved in unsustainable resource utilization with a sustainable livelihood. This must be profitable, not harmful to the environment & should be able to continue for a long period of time.

Park Zoning
Is the assignment of specific areas of land & water to certain restriction & uses. Zones chosen based on ecology of the area, sound ecological & conservation principles...the needs of the local community & feasibility

example:

- Core Zone            : No-take & No-visit area.

- Wilderness Zone  : No-take & Limited visit area.

- Tourism Zone      : No take but intensive Tourism area.

- Traditional Zone    : Limited-take & utilization area, traditional fisheries small scale gear ( permits & restriction ).

- Pelagic use Zone  : Limited take only offshore marine areas, pelagic fisheries with restriction on gear type, location, target
                              target species & permits.

- Special Research &
  Training Zone      : No-take area..only research, training, monitoring & environmental rehabilitation with permits.
                                Fishing or harvesting prohibited.

Just a thought though....my 2 cents ;)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#5  Postby stupidhead » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 pm

MACHA wrote:Alternative Livelihood
Introduce Alternative Livelihood where it provides local communities ( Islanders ) who are involved in unsustainable resource utilization with a sustainable livelihood. This must be profitable, not harmful to the environment & should be able to continue for a long period of time.

Park Zoning
Is the assignment of specific areas of land & water to certain restriction & uses. Zones chosen based on ecology of the area, sound ecological & conservation principles...the needs of the local community & feasibility

the 1st one is easy... at least in sabah it is, because many of the islanders are not even registered malaysians so they are off the radar screen as far as education, health care and employment is concern - i.e. they do not exist, so they are not a problem. well, as far as our government is concerned

zoning is a good idea, but in today's malaysia, who has the will, the ability and resources to enforce them? like someone mentioned previously, some resorts even spear for fish. i'm sure some of us know dm/instructor level divers who own spear guns. and what about the ongoing bombing in and around marine parks? let not overstretch ourselves.
stupidhead
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby MACHA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm

stupidhead wrote:
MACHA wrote:Alternative Livelihood

Park Zoning

the 1st one is easy... at least in sabah it is, because many of the islanders are not even registered malaysians so they are off the radar screen as far as education, health care and employment is concern - i.e. they do not exist, so they are not a problem. well, as far as our government is concerned

zoning is a good idea, but in today's malaysia, who has the will, the ability and resources to enforce them? like someone mentioned previously, some resorts even spear for fish. i'm sure some of us know dm/instructor level divers who own spear guns. and what about the ongoing bombing in and around marine parks? let not overstretch ourselves.

Correct la dey, obviously you know how this country works.....once again it's my 2 cents opinion in a forum come la visit me in Brickfields we whack beriyani at Vishaal top notch la ! ;)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#7  Postby stupidhead » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

MACHA wrote:Correct la dey, obviously you know how this country works.....once again it's my 2 cents opinion in a forum come la visit me in Brickfields we whack beriyani at Vishaal top notch la ! ;)

thanks dude, i'm a bit far away. next time u come kk, give me a call, i buy! ;-)
stupidhead
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby solo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:04 pm

if you look one step further..just watch how our govt. takes care of sipadan.....the gateway to Sipadan is Sempoerna...and hell Sempoerna  is so dirty and smelly,the amount of rubbish that you can see as you travel out from the jetty to Mabul......what a shame !
solo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby padilaut » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:34 pm

- Core Zone            : No-take & No-visit area.

- Wilderness Zone  : No-take & Limited visit area.

- Tourism Zone      : No take but intensive Tourism area.

- Traditional Zone    : Limited-take & utilization area, traditional fisheries small scale gear ( permits & restriction

- Pelagic use Zone  : Limited take only offshore marine areas, pelagic fisheries with restriction on gear type, location, target
                              target species & permits.

- Special Research &
  Training Zone      : No-take area..only research, training, monitoring & environmental rehabilitation with permits.
                                Fishing or harvesting prohibited.

Just a thought though....my 2 cents ;)

Aha i like your idea about park zoning. I think the education or mass media played important role to create the awareness to public. We cant depends on law enforcer bcoz they are not dependable haha.
padilaut
Diver
Diver

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions