MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Which Dive computer right for you ! Part One

Which Dive computer right for you ! Part One

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

Which Dive computer right for you ! Part One

Post Number:#1  Postby Nizaha » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:30 am

Hey Gangs

Wrist vs console mount; my preference is wrist. Some computers will fit into your console so that you can see you pressure & dive time at the same time.
If wrist, ensure that that strap will fit over your Wet or Dry suit wrist. Sometimes you can use 2 watch straps to enlarge the size.
Display; can you READ the display; is all the info that you want on the main display? is there an alternate display available too?  If you are in the over 40 club a small display size can be problematic. lol
backlight; is there one? does it drain the battery? OR can you shine your light on the display & have it glow for a few seconds after
Conservatism; some computers are rated at an ascent rate of 30 fpm vs the old standard of 60 fpm. 30fpm is much safer.
Algorithm; usually based on Bulhman or RGBM; RGBM is the most popular today. If VPM is available i would definitely get this if you plan on becoming a tech diver. The Vplanner program (designed by Canadian Ross Hemingway) uses the VPM algorithm & is the most popular tech diving program in the world.

Download ability; does it download to your home computer? What kind of info can you get downloaded? The download software is usually free & the cables are usually up to $200. Wireless is awesome if it works. I have a Scubapro/Uwatec Tec 3 computer which uses infrared to downlaod & it works great & is so simple & there is NO extra cost! Some computer download cables have a flakey connection like the Cochran. The Cochran computer has the most comprehensive set of information that is stored in a computer that i have ever seen....if you want it.

Nitrox & multiple gases; a Nitrox computer is the minimum that you should buy today. Buying a multi gas computer is great if you plan on doing tech diving and plan on switching gases (eg. 100% or 50%) HOWEVER note that anyone today who does serious tech diving is using a Bottom Timer & Vplanner for dive planning. They may use a tech computer for a backup but normally not for the primary gas planning.
color; a useless feature as far as i am concerned due to the fact that it is battery draining.
HUD; finally you can buy a computer that has Heads Up Display in the mask. Oceanic now has one for sale if you have lots of $$ to spend. http://www.oceanicw orldwide. com/p_computers_ iddm.html  
air integrated; some consider this a nice to have feature but i have never purchased such a model. It will show your tank pressure in digital readout & show how much bottom time you have based on your current  breathing rate.
BUDDY; it is always preferred to use the same computer (and bottom timer) as your buddy. This means that your NDL, deco & actually depth readings will be the same.

User changeable battery; take a spare when away on that dive trip. You must buy a computer with an USER changeable battery. Why wait 2 months to have your computer changed at the store or factory.

Watch/dive computer; Do you want your dive computer to double as your wrist watch? Suunto Stinger/Mosquito/ D6/D9 & Citizen Aqualand are the way to go....IF you can read the display...lol.

Digital compass; if you really are a gadget person you may consider this feature; I say keep it simple & learn how to use a real compass.
Failover band; Airborne sells a watch strap that will keep you from loosing the watch if 1 side breaks. You may consider using a bungy system which does the same thing. Be careful as this is the DIR (do it right) way.  :)
perceived value; at the end of the day it comes down to this.
reliability; do some searches on the internet to look for problems. I had a great tech computer called a HSS Explorer & when i was repaired/replaced after 4 times i sold it. Suunto computers have never failed me.
Games; this feature is most common on tech computers so you have something to keep you occupied during those long decos.
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Re: Which Dive computer right for you ! Part Two

Post Number:#2  Postby Nizaha » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:34 am

KNOW HOW to USE IT; to often I have seen experienced divers not know how to properly use their computer. They locked out their computer & did not know why. Be sure to read the manual & know what deco mode is & how it works.
Violation if you violate some computers they will lock out for 24-48 hours rendering your dive computer useless for this period. Some will default to Gauge mode (a bottom timer) which is better.

; some will show graphs on the side of the display representing Ascent rate, nitrogen saturation, etc.
protective lens cover; to save the original computer screen you want a computer that has this option. There are 3rd party covers too.
Is it EASY to use? I prefer to use a computer that i can figure out on the spot & not need to refer to a manual.
Buttons; is it easy to use them? do you have to wet your fingers to use them? The old Suuntos has this very undesirable features.
Will the computer turn on AUTOmagically for you? Some computers test the salinity of the water & then turn on. I has seen the Cochran computer NOT turn on which can be very frustrating.
What is displayed between dives? I prefer to see the scrolling of NDL (no deco limit) displayed for the different dive depths.
Cost: you can spend over $2000 on a VR3 that has color display, Vplanner algorithm, wireless download, trimix & rebreather support. A Suunto Gekko which is a great started computer can be purchased for around $350. It is wrist, nitrox, no download or backlight.
Most computers have the ability to change the conservatism on it AND the altitude.

Examples:
Suunto Vytec/D6/D9 & Diverite DUO are popular multigas computers.
Suunto Gekko & Vyper are great deals & easy to use. They are known to be conservative.

I have owned many computers including the Suunto, Cochran, Uwatec/Scubapro, VR3 & HSS and the Suunto has always been the best overall value & easiest to use.

SAfe Diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Re: Which Dive computer right for you ! Part One

Post Number:#3  Postby Underwater Tourist » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:44 am

Good one bro..keep it up..  -nt-
Then can pinned up as Sticky Topic...
Diver2B is now Underwater Tourist.
Underwater Tourist
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info, Nizaha. Very useful. Yes, I agree with Diver2B that it should be pinned as a sticky topic.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby Mac apple » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:58 pm

hi bro
thank for the informatiom  :D :D

it relly get use to it ... :angel8: :angel8:
One- For -All  @  All -For- One
Mac apple
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby trigger fish » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Good tips for those ppl looking for dive comp.  B-)
trigger fish
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Good info nizaha. Great Job there. Will lock the topic so as not to get irrelevant postings. Cheers!
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby ikan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:18 pm

a real good basic guideline indeed bro zaha .... kudos to u
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Adzri » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:22 pm

Thanks zaha for a wonderfully wrote info on Dive computer. I never used any other apart from suunto . It is my best buddy. My personal perception on suunto is that they are specialized in making Dive Computer.

As what written above. please check the manual be4 using it. If you are lazy(like me) just ask from other who are using a similar model on the funtions.    
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions