MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - how to draw your square profile?

how to draw your square profile?

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

how to draw your square profile?

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:45 am

hmmm.. well.. when doing your square profile... u say 30m for 20mins with 3mins safety stop.

but when u do ur actual dive, especially reef dive, it's considered as multilevel dive. u descend to the deepest... slowly go along the reef... and exit .. but your DC tells you your dive time is 30mins and max depth 30meter.

when u r logging ur dive... how can calculate ur PG?
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: how to draw your square profile?

Post Number:#2  Postby jgshuwei » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:39 am

jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby superkingkong » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:40 am

hmm.. not really related...

ok. here's another picture. for eg, u don't have a dive computer. u only have a watch.

u plan 30m for 20mins.

then u hit the water... u start counting using your watch, as timer. then when u surface.. it's 35 mins.

can u put that dive into your logbook, which is showing a square profile?

or do i have to start drawing a multilevel dive profile?

or i just don't borther the drawing on the logbook? :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Quero » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:47 am

ok. here's another picture. for eg, u don't have a dive computer. u only have a watch.

u plan 30m for 20mins.

then u hit the water... u start counting using your watch, as timer. then when u surface.. it's 35 mins.

SKK, if you find that has happened, you log the dive as if it were a square profile, assume you have missed a deco stop, and stay out of the water for 24 hours observing your health status. Even go on O2 for a while to help purge the N2 buildup.
Quero

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby superkingkong » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am

infact... few of my dives.. dove at key largo.. the square profile in my logbook still empty :P

don't know what to fill in... when i look at the rdp.. 30m max depth  ..50mins bottom time... no group at all  ;) ;D but in actual fact, i know that we were struggling at the surface..sea was choppy....  from the boat to the mooring line.. that took about 15mins (in and out)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Quero » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 am

infact... few of my dives.. dove at key largo.. the square profile in my logbook still empty :P

don't know what to fill in... when i look at the rdp.. 30m max depth  ..50mins bottom time... no group at all  ;) ;D but in actual fact, i know that we were struggling at the surface..sea was choppy....  from the boat to the mooring line.. that took about 15mins (in and out)

Hmm. You mean you started timing *long before* you descended? And you stopped timing *long after* you ascended?

SKK, you did a PADI cert, right? Do you remember the 5-point descent and the 5-point ascent steps? If you do, you will recall that one of the steps when you're ready to descend is to check the time. You do that immediately before you decend, not while you're still trying to reach the buoy line on the surface. Same for the ascent. You check your time when you're ready to go to your safety stop, and you keep checking it to make sure you stop long enough. From 5 m even at a slow ascent rate it won't take you more than a minute to reach the surface, so your timing will be pretty close to the total dive time at the end of your safety stop.
Quero

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:04 pm

I sometimes wonder whether students actually bother to learn what's been taught by instructors, or skim through just to get the certification and join the trendy bandwagon.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby HoleMaster » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:07 pm

u plan 30m for 20mins.

SKK, ur questions makes me confused. But anyways, Bottom Time is from the beginning of descent until the beginning of final ascent to the surface or safety. As such u should start timing from the time of descending and upon surfacing (to be more conservative).

U only log a square profile if ur depth is the same throughout the dive. For e.g ur depth is 30m all the way. But most of us know that usually we dive from the deeper to shallow end. As such its a multilevel dive, of which it would be best use the Wheel for logging if u dont hv any DC. That's y u see some dives log has 2 types of info for logging in. One with the multi-level dive which u use the Wheel and single level dive which we use the Table

Cheers!
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby superkingkong » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 am

Hmm. You mean you started timing *long before* you descended? And you stopped timing *long after* you ascended?

SKK, you did a PADI cert, right? Do you remember the 5-point descent and the 5-point ascent steps? If you do, you will recall that one of the steps when you're ready to descend is to check the time. You do that immediately before you decend, not while you're still trying to reach the buoy line on the surface. Same for the ascent. You check your time when you're ready to go to your safety stop, and you keep checking it to make sure you stop long enough. From 5 m even at a slow ascent rate it won't take you more than a minute to reach the surface, so your timing will be pretty close to the total dive time at the end of your safety stop.

oh... i do still remember... it's just that during that trip.. i've forgotten totally  :-[ diving at a foreign place with foreigners.. was nervous, shy and excited .. and also we were struggling on the surface because of the water condition

so, ended up, i have to refer to my DC when loggin my dives and it shows that "extra" time  :-/
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby superkingkong » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:57 am

u plan 30m for 20mins.

SKK, ur questions makes me confused. But anyways, Bottom Time is from the beginning of descent until the beginning of final ascent to the surface or safety. As such u should start timing from the time of descending and upon surfacing (to be more conservative).

U only log a square profile if ur depth is the same throughout the dive. For e.g ur depth is 30m all the way. But most of us know that usually we dive from the deeper to shallow end. As such its a multilevel dive, of which it would be best use the Wheel for logging if u dont hv any DC. That's y u see some dives log has 2 types of info for logging in. One with the multi-level dive which u use the Wheel and single level dive which we use the Table

Cheers!

keke... i also think that my question is confusing  ;D

but u answered my question  ;) .. thanks :)

looks like i have to prepare some multilevel charts handy in my logbook  :-? .. coz my logbook is only showing a square profile  ;)

btw hm... erm .. for multilevel, if i don't have a wheel, how do i know the multi depths considering i'm depending on my DC? anyway of getting those depths?
sorry for this newbie question

thanks...
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby HoleMaster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 pm

u plan 30m for 20mins.

Cheers!

keke... i also think that my question is confusing  ;D

but u answered my question  ;) .. thanks :)

looks like i have to prepare some multilevel charts handy in my logbook  :-? .. coz my logbook is only showing a square profile  ;)

btw hm... erm .. for multilevel, if i don't have a wheel, how do i know the multi depths considering i'm depending on my DC? anyway of getting those depths?
sorry for this newbie question

thanks...

Depending on DC, it has a function to show ur depth profile from start to end. U can draw reference from that to do ur multilevel charts. But usually multilevel charts in log book are to cater for Wheel users. By using the Wheel u get less NDL time and more conservative. However, if u depend on DC u get more NDL time. Cheers!
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby superkingkong » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:52 pm

cool bro.. thanks for ya reply. at least i get an idea of it.

ya.. agree with u.. since the DC will do a real-time calculation.. i guess it will offer more NDL time

after reading further... i guess in DC.. to get the chart or the multi depths is to only download the profile to a PC and the software will show the chart... am i right?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby ery » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:28 pm

good job on the explanation holey!  ;)
ery

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:26 pm

cool bro.. thanks for ya reply. at least i get an idea of it.

ya.. agree with u.. since the DC will do a real-time calculation.. i guess it will offer more NDL time

after reading further... i guess in DC.. to get the chart or the multi depths is to only download the profile to a PC and the software will show the chart... am i right?

Yes the best and accurate would be to download into the PC and check ur dive profile. From there u can see how did u "perform" underwater...cheers!
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:28 pm

good job on the explanation holey!  ;)

No worries bro. Myself oso learning by writing it down... ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby superkingkong » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 am

thanks bro :)... u r da man  ;)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:35 am

SeaDemon wrote:I sometimes wonder whether students actually bother to learn what's been taught by instructors, or skim through just to get the certification and join the trendy bandwagon.

we like diving.. that's why we spend thousand of dollars to involve in that activity. like i said in another post, we went through SPM, do we still know what was taught? ok, let say SPM is ahead of us. we prepare for it. but will we get all 100% for all the subjects, hence, knowing everything? probably u are able to... but not for most of us... well, not for me... :) i'm sure some of it will slipped through our mind. and when someone tell us, or we read back again... we realise. oh, i know this!
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#18  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:37 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
SeaDemon wrote:I sometimes wonder whether students actually bother to learn what's been taught by instructors, or skim through just to get the certification and join the trendy bandwagon.

we like diving.. that's why we spend thousand of dollars to involve in that activity. like i said in another post, we went through SPM, do we still know what was taught? ok, let say SPM is ahead of us. we prepare for it. but will we get all 100% for all the subjects, hence, knowing everything? probably u are able to... but not for most of us... well, not for me... :) i'm sure some of it will slipped through our mind. and when someone tell us, or we read back again... we realise. oh, i know this!

You don't die if you do not do well in SPM
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:58 am

SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

well, probably i shouldn't be a diver then.. since i'm one of those forgetful fella... that is why, i missed that 5-point...
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#20  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:54 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

well, probably i shouldn't be a diver then.. since i'm one of those forgetful fella... that is why, i missed that 5-point...

While lessons are to be learnt and not forgotten, if we forget it is good to refresh. That is why the first dive should always be treated as a checkout dive.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#21  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Im locking this thread guys...enuff said...cheers and thanks members for contributing
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions