MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tank O-ring Burst

Tank O-ring Burst

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

Tank O-ring Burst

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:19 am

To any divers that will be doing LOB on-board Black Pearl. Please inform your organizer to bring extra o-ring or you yourself can
bring your own o-ring.
It seems that the one on-board are either unfit or from a cheap material cause it burst quite often while i was on board.
Unlucky for me it happened twice and the other one burst at 12m depth.
I already informed to the capten of the boat. Dont know whether he will change it or not. Just take precaution.
Dive safe.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Tank O-ring Burst

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am

Alhamdulillah, I'm glad to notice that u are back in good shape. U are one of the O-Ring Burst Survivors. 12m is no shallow depth. At times, divers can get panic upon such incident and often the first thing in mind is grabbing a buddy octo or perform CESA.

Tell us ur experience.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

The 1st o-ring burst happened before my 1st dive. As I open the air to gear up. Then POP!
Check the o-ring and look at the condition. The o-ring torn. So I guess its cheap material or un-fit for the tank.
I tell myself. Bad things can happen so better be careful. At first I decided not to have snorkel with me but
Then after the thing pop, I bring the snorkel together with each dives.

The o-ring finally burst on my last dive. Before my last dive I did a deep dive and so this final dive will be shallow less than 17m.
Depth was 12m. The viz was poor. I brought along my torch as a guidance for my buddies in my group.
I often dive away a bit from the group. Suddenly heard the sound POP very loud like a fire cracker. Then followed with non-stop hissing sound.
I look up thought there was a boat passing by. None. So I look at my group. All look ok.
Still the hissing sound didn’t stop and it sounded very near. Finally I reach back for my 1st stage and I can feel streaming of bubbles
Coming out fast.
I look at my DC depth 12m. I look at my group just 5m away from me. I fin fast for one of the diver who I know a lot more experience compare to the rest
Of the divers. At this point I still can breath thru my reg.
I didn’t check how fast the air on my gauge run out. I tap the diver first. Showed the 1st stage. I just want
Him to recognize whether it’s the o-ring tank or other problem. He turned of the air and I grab his octopus. The reason he turned
Of the air coz sometime the o-ring can be fix this way but when he opened the tank again still bubbles streaming out. He saw the o-ring already raptured.
So we start to continue doing our safety stop. On the surface I did manual inflate. The water was a bit choppy and thank goodness
I had my snorkel on. Didn’t choose CESA unless in desperate situation. CESA is the last option for any diver. Futhermore I just did a deep dive.
Doing CESA will only caused me more lung injuries or DCS. The o-ring burst after 11min bottom time and the time I reach the diver do safety stop and all took 10min.
Key point- I already notice about the poor condition of the oring from the 1st dive. So I took safe measures with each dives after that.
With LOB its good that you have a smaller group of 4-6 divers together in a dive. If you become scatter and just do your own businss that is when accident can happen.
My group even more cautious after we heard about a case of diver drowning without a buddy few weeks ago on LOB trip.
I wont spill out details cause i myself dont know what really happened and no news were reported.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:14 pm

ermmm.....alhamdulillah nothing bad happened....
stay close to your buddy and group, dive safe...
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 pm

if this incident ended with death, im sure this thread will be filled with lots of comments and never ending accusation.
anyhow i just reminding other divers on the situation.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Narco » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Lets just praise 'syukur' that it ended well despite the unfortunate incident.. Am staying close to my buddy!! And will ultimately check my o-ring!! And even bring my snorkel (if I can still find it!)
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#7  Postby aroyo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 pm

i experience o-ring burst, also on black pearl. trip to tioman back in 2010. was about to descend, about 3 meters, when i heard it pop. lucky my buddy was nearby, we surfaced and i went back to boat to change the tank. the experience was quite scary due to the pop and loud hiss.
aroyo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby span » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 am

good information and knowledge for me as a newbis :d :-T
span
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby Lotusman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Can you still breath if O-ring burst? I am using legend ACD reg (ACD=auto closure device which means sand n water will not go into first tage when cleaning) not sure if its any different.
Lotusman
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 am

Lotusman u can only breath thru the reg while there is still air in the tank. Bear in mind that the air runs fast. All regulators are not build to stop the diver from breathing if anything
happens underwater . Yes u can still breath thru your legend ACD provided there is still air in ur tank.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby nanda666 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Most of the time it is not the o-ring as the orings are relatively simple rubber seal rings..not high tech. What you need to check is the actual groove on the tank valve. If the steel is deformed due to overtightening, misalignment, etc, the damage is permanent and any o-ring inserted into this groove will be exposed to the tank pressure with an avenue to leak and eventually burst. This seems to be the case with this "black pearl" which must have a particular tank with a defective tank valve groove.
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 am

nanda666 wrote: What you need to check is the actual groove on the tank valve. If the steel is deformed due to overtightening, misalignment, etc, the damage is permanent and any o-ring inserted into this groove will be exposed to the tank pressure with an avenue to leak and eventually burst.

thanks nanda666 for pointing that out.
For you guys information especially those who never done any LOB before, the tank you use for ur first dive will be your tank for the rest of the dives in your trip.
There is no need to change for a new tank. A long hose is connected to the compressor. They just take the hose and fill your tank with air.
So incase you encounter more than one burst o-ring, you better request for a new tank which hopefully dont have the same problem like what nanda666 has describe above.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions