MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Deco from Suunto?

Deco from Suunto?

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

Deco from Suunto?

Post Number:#1  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Guys, what does this mean? Does it mean I am in deco? Please clarify because whenever this happens, I panic.

It only happens when

1. I reached 30metres and this appears
2. When I overstay my bottom time

What does Ceiling and ASC Time mean?
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Re: Deco from Suunto?

Post Number:#2  Postby gavstang » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

You definitely kena deco already..ceiling means you cannot go higher than 3m and ASC is the ascend time meaning you have to do a deco stop for 9 minutes. Breach it at your own risk. After the ASC of 9 mins you still have todo your 3min safety stop, so your stop in total is 12 mins. Make sure you have enough air, if not breathe very little or share air, if your buddy aso kena deco, then pray hard hard other divers are ard to share air.
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm

OOooooooooo now I understand .....thanks gavstang...... I know what to do now ..... Last time, when I get this message, I kept going up and up until this message dissapears.... Rescue Diver konon....ok but now I know...thanks bro !!!!!
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby gavstang » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Read the manual bro! Serious though, i know reading the manual sucks but kena buat la...your life is in the comps hands so its better to know exactly wat all the things flashing up mean...anyway thankfully you are still fine.
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

My instructor told me to RTFM ....."Read The F**King Manual"..Obviously I never did
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Quero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Yes, you've violated your no decompression limit. The top number is your current depth. The CEILING is the shallowest depth to which you can ascend to wait out your deco obligation, and ASC TIME is the minimum total time it can take you to reach the surface, including your deco stop and the time you need for swimming up at the maximum ascent rate permitted. The 9 minutes already includes the entire time you are required to be in the water. There is no need to do a 3 minute safety stop after your computer clears the deco obligation. This ASC TIME is important to know since you have to make sure you have sufficient gas reserves to stay down for that amount of time. This is what the manual says about the time displayed (in your case 9 minutes):
The ascent time (ASC TIME) is the minimum amount of time needed to reach the surface in a decompression dive. It includes:
• the time needed to ascend to the ceiling at an ascent rate of 10m per minute. The ceiling is the shallowest depth to which you should ascend.
• the time needed at the ceiling
• the time needed at the Mandatory Safety Stop (if any)
• the time needed to reach the surface after the ceiling and Safety Stops have been completed.

Don't panic! Your instructor is right! It's your responsibility to know how to interpret the data your computer is showing you.
Is that a D4? If so, you can download the manual and learn all about your dive computer here:
http://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/D4/Usergui ... ide_EN.pdf
If not, you can find the manual for your model at the suunto website.
Last edited by Quero on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#7  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Does it mean I don't need to stay at that depth for 9 minutes for deco stop?
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

ummm i think the indicator show that you are below the floor (not above the floor) and you should go up. When you go up you will see the indicator show an hour glass (arrow pointing upward and downward at the same time). That is your optimum ceilig stop and the 9min will count down to zero.
yaa seriously read the manual. Dont like to read it that just look at the pix in the manual.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#9  Postby Quero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

It means you have to spend at least 9 more minutes before you can reach the surface. If you don't stay at the correct depth, it will extend that 9 minutes. If you go shallower than 3 meters, it will signal you to descend. Read the manual! It's your life and well-being you're toying with here.

In the first place you should not incur these deco obligations, so it seems you don't know how to interpret the computer even during the dive so that you know when you're getting close to your no-deco limit. And if you do find yourself in deco, and you manage somehow to skip the stop, the consequences can be quite bad, potentially including loss of sexual function. So RTFM!
Last edited by Quero on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 pm

heeiiii something smell fishy..so ur dive comp go to Err mode ke tak? and how about your No-fly time? longer than usual?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Quero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Actually, you can stay deeper than the ceiling, and the computer will continue to re-calculate the deco obligation, slowing down your fulfillment of your deco time if you are a little deeper, but it will still keep counting down. You don't need to go all the way to 3 meters, but that's the shallowest you can go. The decompression range is between the ceiling and 1.2 meters deeper than the ceiling, so in your case the deco range for your required stop would be 3 to 4.2 meters. If you are deeper, it will add time to your ASC TIME; if you ascend slower than 10 m/min, it will add time to your ASC TIME;

-- Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm --

@toodus, I don't mean to be rude, but what have you been using your dive computer for anyway? Just a bottom timer to tell you depth and dive duration? A dive computer is a fantastic tool and will help you in the most important aspect of your diving.... PLANNING your dives. Then during the dive, you use it to MONITOR your plan. If you were going to try to find a place in an unfamiliar city, you'd first plan out your route on a map, and then you'd follow along the map to make sure you were on the right path, correct? That's sort of the attitude you need for using a dive computer. Let it help you in your dive planning before you hit the water, and then use it to keep track of your dive to make sure you're following your plan.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#12  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm

This happened to me in Weh.

When I see this in the future, I should

a) Start ascending slowly

or

b) Stay put at 9.7m until the 1minute is over
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby Quero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 pm

In your case, the computer display shows a deco obligation of 1 minute and as there are no arrows telling you to go up or down, you are within the deco range. If you stay there for one minute it will clear, and at that depth it will likely give you the double dash that shows you no longer have a limit on your NDL.

However, you will see that the computer is giving you a 1 minute ascent time and that you are at about 10 of depth. At an ascent rate of 10 m /minute maximum, it would probably allow you to ascend directly to the surface if you swam slow enough before you reached 3 meters, which is your ceiling and you may have just seconds of deco to do), so if you just puttered about looking at things for a few minutes at 10 meters, your computer would clear. Your dive at that point had only been 42 minutes, so assuming you still had plenty of air, you could simply extend your dive at 10 meters and then do your safety stop as usual.

Know how to interpret the data on your computer and use it to its full capacity for the type of diving you're doing. Plan your dives so that you know your maximum time at depth, and monitor your NDL time remaining. If you know from planning what your maximum time at depth is and you see that number creeping up on your dive time reading, pay attention. Don't let your NDL get down into the low single digits--instead ascend when you start seeing it dip that low. Keep in mind that these are all theoretical limits and what is safe for one diver may be enough to cause a bend in the diver's buddy diving exactly the same profile. Don't push the limits. Don't get into deco. Protect your health.

-- Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm --

toodus, since you repeatedly find yourself having decompression obligations, I would say that you are an accident waiting to happen. Please, please get a clue and change your diving habits.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#14  Postby vash_h » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm

u guys are sooo lucky. i never get to stay down that long. my dive buddy air runs out so fast i think he runs on a 6L turbo engine with only 30 horse power...
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#15  Postby run » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 pm

vash_h u are the one lucky lar. U friend save you from having DCS.

toodus i got to hand it to ya. u got balls to show pix and learn in this forum. Some may not be brave enuf to show it to save air muka. At least with this points you help others that may know how to buy a DC but really dont know how to use them. Thanx to Quero for explaining in details :)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby kayancdh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Yeah I agree with run. I actually went to read my manual again......pg 53 onwards....thanks toodus for your post and the rest of you who answered the post......revision revision, practice, practice!
kayancdh
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#17  Postby vash_h » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Bro... The longest dive I had is 30 minutes. ON NITROX... lol
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby toodus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 pm

vash_h : So when he runs out of air after 30 minutes, you do safety stop with him? I think it's time to ditch your dive buddy. Sometimes I dive until 68 minutes..... ditch him !!!
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby vash_h » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm

cannot... he is my dive buddy... but he is improving la.. he jst bought a new split fin... not bad. bottom time now increase to 45 minutes and continue to improve...
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby raffidi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 am

This is one good topic and thanks to Toodus for putting his ego aside and getting "bashed" for all to learn something that we should have already known. So, basically Toodus is a hero who put himself in the line of fire for the rest of us to benefit.....hail Toodus!!!! ;)
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 4

Post Number:#21  Postby Quero » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 am

So sorry if I seem to have been "bashing" toodus :( I guess I've just seen one too many divers get hurt because they don't understand what they're looking at on the computer display--injuries that could have been prevented. I would hate for toodus to eventually be one of them. At least toodus took the initiative to try to learn, by coming here with his questions. It has served to enlighten others, and he is to be recognized for that service!
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#22  Postby run » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

Dont worry Quero , forumers love to read someone bashing on someone. At the sametime they can learn something from it too.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby raffidi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am

Quero....if you did any bashing to this topic would be for all of us divers that never bother to do our part.....so thank you for the bashing (which you did not do)!!!
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 4

Post Number:#24  Postby toodus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Quero. You had my safety as your main intention and I appreciate that eventhough we don't know each other....
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby gavstang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am

Im sure a lot of us will be reading through our manuals before our next dive trip thats for sure!
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby Quero » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am

:YMHUG: Thank you!

I just recently, a couple of weeks ago, conducted an AOW course privately (I only do private instruction--costs more but it's worth more, too!) with a lady who, it turned out, didn't understand her dive computer. She was really nervous because she had previously already managed to get herself in trouble, suffering from decompression sickness and needing recompression chamber treatments, all because she had used her dive computer inappropriately as a bottom timer and didn't use it as the tool it was designed to be for planning her dives and monitoring her dive plan while she was diving. She did zig-zag profiles, she violated no-decompression limits, she did too-rapid ascents, she skipped deco stops....and all that contributed to her eventually getting bent. She was an accident waiting to happen, and unfortunately, she did eventually have an accident.

So during our course, on one gorgeous dive at Richelieu Rock, she swam up to me in a very alarmed state and started pointing at her dive computer and signalling UP. What she saw was the two dashed lines in place of the NDL time limit numbers. She knew that that was the place on the display for the NDL, and she wanted to stay within her NDL so she wouldn't get hurt again, but because she didn't read the manual she thought that those two dashed lines meant that she was going into deco. She had no idea what her display would look like if she actually were to have a deco obligation, and she didn't know that those dashed lines meant her bottom time was now limited only by the amount of air she had left in her tank. But I did, and so I just smiled, pointed at her computer and gave her an "okay" signal back to let her know that there was no problem because she had plenty of air and was fine in terms of NDL.

She kept pointing agitatedly at the computer until finally I took her to the mooring line to wait out the safety stop at 5 meters. When we surfaced she was furious with me! Why? Because I didn't surface immediately with her when she was sure she was in trouble. Of course I pointed out to her that she should be furious with herself for not knowing how to use the tool she had on her wrist. You'd imagine that somebody who had already got herself hurt once because of not planning her dives using the computer as a planning tool and then following the plan using the computer as a monitoring tool would at least get a clue and read the manual before going diving again, wouldn't you?

So that's why I'm so militant about this topic! I just want people to be safe and take responsibility for their own dive planning and execution, using their dive computers as the tool they are designed and intended to be.
Last edited by Quero on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#27  Postby gavstang » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

Well said Quero. So lets all dive safe ppl!
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby run » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 am

i like reading this educational topic. Thanks toodus and also to Quero for coming back to the forum.
Toodus FYI if in weh you can become deco wait till you go to Similan and south andaman. You had to regularly check you DC.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby vash_h » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 am

the manual for my D4 strictly recommends reading the manual thoroughly before a dive... i got it the night before my dive trip (the night we depart), and was reading it during ferry transfer to island...

best make it a habit to always follow dive comps and read the manual. i do remember friends telling me when they spot whale shark, everyone ignores dive comps and in his video can clearly hear dive comps BEEP BEEP sounds... almost all divers with dive comp was emitting the sound... LOL
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby toodus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

Whale sharks trumps dive comps anytime .....
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Next

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions