MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - (ask) Tax for Dive equipment if order from overseas

(ask) Tax for Dive equipment if order from overseas

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

(ask) Tax for Dive equipment if order from overseas

Post Number:#1  Postby thembo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 am

Helo,

i want to ask advise from you guys (MUWers),
my friend want to order some dive equipment and accesories from overseas online dive shop (scub*t**s or lei**r*p*o) may i know how much the malaysia custom will be charge for this dive equipment?

any one of you already have experience order from overseas dive shop, could you share your experience with me.

thank youu 
I AM Just YouR NightMare In your Sweetest DreamZ ....
Visit My Gallery in http://thembo.deviantart.com
thembo
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 1

Re: (ask) Tax for Dive equipment if order from overseas

Post Number:#2  Postby gavstang » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:07 am

So far in my experience, ordering 1-2 items is not an issue and customs normally doesnt tax.  At least Ive never been slapped with any tax for the goodies I ordered online from abroad.  Recently, my friend bought a Diverite BC from ebay and it was detained by customs who requested my friend to pay RM900 as tax as they thought it was skydiving gear.  When they realised it was for scuba, they released it without tax.

Happy shopping!
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 am

you need to know the HS code
[95] HS Code 9506 Articles & equipment for general physical exercise, gymnastics, athletics, other sports or outdoor games; swimming pools & padding pools
it is very confusing but if you can get the HS code for the product you are planning to buy and then get the tax rate possible from the custom, then you will know the amount total.

The price also varies from each country u planning to buy from. This is when some parts were classified under wrong HS code , and u get to pay tax more than the part's worth.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#4  Postby loolick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Base on my last experience, you don't really get any tax for dive equipment.

I once got a dive com and my reg, got hold back by custom until I explain clearly before they release. The invoice/documents did not explain it clear enough.
loolick
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby saltigagt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm

from my experience, all masks will have a 10% tax, even if they agree it's a 'sporting equipment' (which is supposedly tax free). Also, knifes will get like 30~35% tax! so think twice before buying diving knives online. other than dat, regs, BCs dun get tax. individual gauge do get 10% tax. Fins don't get tax i think. hope this helps
saltigagt
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#6  Postby gavstang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 am

I just received my knife, hollis pouch, 2 compasses and a silicon mouthpiece from Dive Gear Express.  The total cost was RM559.  Customs taxed me 16% for the above items.  When I asked what items are taxable, the reply was EVERYTHING and tht if i didnt want to incur tax, I had to insure the value of the package should not exceed RM500.00.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

so gavstang still worth or not even with duty tax buying those things? You paid the tax to the custom or to the courier agent?

i think merchandise that have relations with scouts, kayaking, boats, hiking, motors, have tax. Scuba diving is still new to the industry so things like BCD and fins considered non-tax items. Gauge since it has numbers and  round like a speedometer in cars, they tax.

Anyhow gavstang u include that bill into your income tax later on. u'll get rebate.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#8  Postby gavstang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am

Haha yeah for sporting goods...and to answer your question, yes it was still worth it.  Still cheaper than in Malaysia.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions