MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Where do you go during East Coast Close Seasons?

Where do you go during East Coast Close Seasons?

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

Re: Where do you go during East Coast Close Seasons?

Post Number:#31  Postby Daylight » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 am

ericcc wrote:Queensland, that was Sunshine Coast, not any of the nicer popular parts of QLD. i just happened to spend the night there so.. did a shore dive, current, surge, cold, low viz of 2m or so, no fish, danger of crashing rocks, separated from group, lost my sausage. it was a truly an adventure dive!

wow.. sounds pretty dangerous. is Queensland shore area part of the great barrier reefs? or was it off the reefs and in some monsoon season?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#32  Postby taggymy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:26 pm

gavstang wrote:Pulau-Pulau Sembilan..many Malaysian divers have never heard of it.  Many Ipoh divers desperate for a fix of compressed air will dive p9 during the off season for the East Coast or if they cant get permit from the home minister for longer trips.  Quiver Dive Team is now operating a dive center in Lumut running dives to p9 and to Jarak.  Its not as bad as what everyone says, there can be some brilliant viz depending on luck, but then saying that all diving is about your luck anyway. 

If you want to read a little more about p9, do read this little report of mine:-

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/428970-sembilan-islands.html

Hi there,

May i know which operator did you go with for Rm250? I've asked at quiver dive center before and was quoted Rm360 for 3 boat dives. We do not have our own equipment tho.
taggymy
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#33  Postby divejunkie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm

I am currently studying in Queensland and have been diving quite a bit here. The barrier reef is further up north.

I currently live near Brisbane and whilst its just like driving down to PD to get to the ocean, sadly there are not many great shore dives here. However, there are still interesting dive sites around though like the HMAS brisbane and wolf rock (diving with grey nurse sharks) and fish rock cave. If you dive in the winter and you're lucky....you might even see whales during the dives.

To dive in the great barrier reef (the pristine areas), you'd have to do a LOB and it can be quite pricey.

Anyway....if anyone of you do come to (Bisbane or Gold Coast) Queesnland and fancy a dive or two....drop me a message, I'll be more than happy to help out :)

DJ
divejunkie
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#34  Postby Daylight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 am

divejunkie wrote:
I am currently studying in Queensland and have been diving quite a bit here. The barrier reef is further up north.

I currently live near Brisbane and whilst its just like driving down to PD to get to the ocean, sadly there are not many great shore dives here. However, there are still interesting dive sites around though like the HMAS brisbane and wolf rock (diving with grey nurse sharks) and fish rock cave. If you dive in the winter and you're lucky....you might even see whales during the dives.

To dive in the great barrier reef (the pristine areas), you'd have to do a LOB and it can be quite pricey.

Anyway....if anyone of you do come to (Bisbane or Gold Coast) Queesnland and fancy a dive or two....drop me a message, I'll be more than happy to help out :)

DJ

great!!  how pricy would the LOB be?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#35  Postby run » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 am

Diving Australia! i want to be there! definitely! just dont know when.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#36  Postby gavstang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:24 am

decimal86 wrote:
gavstang wrote:Pulau-Pulau Sembilan..many Malaysian divers have never heard of it.  Many Ipoh divers desperate for a fix of compressed air will dive p9 during the off season for the East Coast or if they cant get permit from the home minister for longer trips.  Quiver Dive Team is now operating a dive center in Lumut running dives to p9 and to Jarak.  Its not as bad as what everyone says, there can be some brilliant viz depending on luck, but then saying that all diving is about your luck anyway. 

If you want to read a little more about p9, do read this little report of mine:-

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/428970-sembilan-islands.html

another mystery in life solved! i was wondering P9...good trip report.

i was there decades ago but no diving. i did my Outward Bound School  there. i remem swimming in crystal clear waters

Dependent on lady luck..viz can be excellent at p9.  Im going again this Sunday, so will update you guys. 
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#37  Postby divejunkie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 pm

The LOB can run anywhere from AUD 800 -AUD 7000. I guess it all depends on how long and where you dive. The larger and more expensive boats will go to areas where the normal ones won't.

This is a good website to start shopping around.

http://www.divingcairns.com.au/

Airasia flies to goldcoast.... :)
divejunkie
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#38  Postby Daylight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm

thanks for the info divejunkie. i missed the opportunity to dive in aug when i was last in gold coast. maybe next year if i happen to head over for my pre wedding photo shoot by a friend :)

fingers crossed..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#39  Postby krezza » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm

OMG, I totally forgot about this thread... thanks a lot for the input everyone!
krezza
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 1

Previous

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions