MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Do you think it is rude to ask a diver “how many dives have you done till now?â€�

Do you think it is rude to ask a diver “how many dives have you done till now?�

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

Do you think it is rude to ask a diver “how many dives have you done till now?�

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 am

I dont mind when the Dive Guide ask me coz i know they need to take care of their divers but when
other divers ask, sometime i feel really unpleasant to say it. Sometime i do feel it is like "who has the most dives between us".
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Do you think it is rude to ask a diver “how many dives have you done till now?�

Post Number:#2  Postby reztitan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm

I dont find it rude and dont mind having less dives than other divers.
If they ask me how many dives under my belt because Im dont dive well , I dont mind them pointing out my faults.
If they ask me how many dives i got just to show me they have done a thousand dives, I dont mind reading their dive log or check out their photos, just to know where have they been out of curiosity.
I find it amuzing sometime, in the end I feel its how you dive that seperate the seasoned divers from the newbies. Not the equipments, nor how many dives you have logged or what diving qualification you have. 
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Re: Do you think it is rude to ask a diver “how many dives have you done till now?�

Post Number:#3  Postby toodus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Divers don't have to ask me how many dives I've made. I usually tell them before anyone says anything. And it's 240 now FYI.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 pm

toodus wrote:Divers don't have to ask me how many dives I've made. I usually tell them before anyone says anything. And it's 240 now FYI.

and counting right toodus?? :)
reztitan i guess i have to live with it then.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby keenfreedom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:53 pm

I like sharing, if you simply want to know how many dives I had before,no problems I may tell you. But dont show me the "action face" once you know I dive less than you. If you do, fine! I will see how you dive better than me down there!
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Absolute Air Scuba » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

It just a numbers...... If you have a right attitude, it will reflex on you....normally only novice will question this.
DM or Inst from the resort they will check your Log Book, without question you....... That the dif.
Tip to answer this question...
- I been diving since ( the  year)
your passion is diving ours is services
Absolute Air Scuba
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm

keenfreedom wrote:I like sharing, if you simply want to know how many dives I had before,no problems I may tell you. But dont show me the "action face" once you know I dive less than you. If you do, fine! I will see how you dive better than me down there!

i think better look at the fishes rather than wasting my air looking at how he/she dives down there hahaha

absolute air scuba what a great idea!. I will answer like that from now on. Thank you  :grin:
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby blurblur » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:13 am

some divers are just more kaypoh!
blurblur
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby misscherry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 pm

i prefer to ask how long have you been diving (first) then, ask how many dives. usually, the "action" ones are the ones who are damn terrible u/w. if can sweep the entire seafloor, i think they would! :cool:

i dunno why, but when ppl ask me abt my dive experiences, they will always end up suggesting tt i shld take up DM program. why eh? :huh:

though, i dont mind if i have the time. hehe!
Last edited by misscherry on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

you must have dive very good then :D . When people complement you to take up further programme means that they respect the way you dive.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby keenfreedom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

blurblur wrote:some divers are just more kaypoh!

Good word of "kaypoh".....

Next time it will be : "Eat,Sleep,Dive,Kaypoh." :afro:
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby nanda666 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Actually...it's neither how long you've been diving or even how many dives. You can be diving badly for years and for many many dives.

So the best is to dive well from Dive 1. :)

Diving well means to dive using proper procedures & checks, staying safe underwater, not cause damage or injury to marine life and to ensure you and your buddy/buddies have fun.

As an instructor, students will ask me this question and it does help them feel comfortable when I answer, "been diving since 1995 and I stopped counting after 500 dives...."

So if anyone asks the question, you should ask them politely why they would like that information. If you feel the answer would help you or them, answer la....

Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#13  Postby run » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:17 pm

nanda666 wrote:Actually...it's neither how long you've been diving or even how many dives. You can be diving badly for years and for many many dives.

Ok ..i hope i am not like that :grin:
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

maybe it is just a plain question to start a conversation, not to judge anybody......maybe they attracted to you & speechless, dunno what to ask.....possible?
maybe u can tell them u only have 4 dives for your OWD license hehe.....see how they response, some will share their story when they first get their license, some like to talk big, but underwater struggling to keep their bouyancy in control......take it positive yea...... :cool:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby toodus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah, it's true. Sometimes divers ask how many dives I have because they're intrigued. If you look cool and dive cool, they're sure to ask the number of dives coz they aspire to be like you....
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#16  Postby Steven » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I take it as a conversation starter. I have not come across a diver who ask to "show off" how many dives they have made. When I am asked, I tell them20+ dives. In actual fact, I have done less than 30 logged dives.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#17  Postby Narco » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Hmm.. i never did really dives. I just wear reg, tanks, bc and fins to snorkel.. hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#18  Postby run » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Narco wrote:Hmm.. i never did really dives. I just wear reg, tanks, bc and fins to snorkel.. hehe

ceeeeh if like that than you can give me your D6i lor. Dive comp cant function less than 1m depth hahahaha.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby misscherry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 pm

run wrote:
Narco wrote:Hmm.. i never did really dives. I just wear reg, tanks, bc and fins to snorkel.. hehe

ceeeeh if like that than you can give me your D6i lor. Dive comp cant function less than 1m depth hahahaha.

i cldn't agree more!! :)
d i v e 2 l i v e
misscherry
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby stupidhead » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 pm

is it rude to say: i don't know, i've stopped counting a long time ago...

resort will do check-out dive any way if you are new there and no one knows you...
stupidhead
Diver
Diver

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions