MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Discuss anything about scuba diving here…

Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#1  Postby DannyHeng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 am

Yep... it is going to be a really stupid question because I should have asked it during my OW certification but i did not.


Did my OW with Sipadan Scuba in Semporna.  During the weight check... it was determined that i needed 6 of them weights.
My question is... how heavy is 1 of them weights.  Stupid of me for not asking then  :$
Last edited by DannyHeng on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyHeng
Diver
Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Tawau, Sabah
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 am

no lar dannyheng..stupid is when you think you know but you dont want to ask. Weights come in different shape but most common like the one in sipadan is normally 0.8kg~1kg. When you see the weight a little thicker than the 1kg means that it is around 1.5kg-2kg.

You wear 6 weights. So how do you dive? Do you feel very heavy when finning? Is it easy or hard for you to ascend?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#3  Postby Daylight » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:59 am

run wrote:no lar dannyheng..stupid is when you think you know but you dont want to ask. Weights come in different shape but most common like the one in sipadan is normally 0.8kg~1kg. When you see the weight a little thicker than the 1kg means that it is around 1.5kg-2kg.

You wear 6 weights. So how do you dive? Do you feel very heavy when finning? Is it easy or hard for you to ascend?


i have seen 0.5 kg weights. if we look at the calculation 0.5 x 6 = 3kg which is heavy but still doable. but at 0.8kg x 6 = 4.8kg thats alot of weight to carry.

best idea is that you another weight check before u dive to ensure u're neutrally bouyant in the water n not sink like a rock..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#4  Postby DannyHeng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 am

Hey thanks for the replies.  I could not sleep well last night because of this issue  [-(
This morning I sms my Instructor and he told me the weights were about 2 kilos a piece.  So I carry 12 kilos  :P


No problems descending or ascending or hovering without finning.  3 min safety stop also no issues.... except during the 3 min safety stop with all the air out of the BCD... I tend to be negative.  Perhaps I can reduce some next time.


Oh and I am 6'2"  and "naturally insulated".  Just got my Mares Dragon BCD (XL) so that is why the this weight question popped into my mind.


Again thanks for the help!
:)
Last edited by DannyHeng on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyHeng
Diver
Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Tawau, Sabah
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#5  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am

bro,
don't worry about the weight, make yourself comfortable.....just enjoy the dive...... B-)
along the way, when u have more dives under your belt (more experience), u will start to reduce weight
weight normally depend on body size (small & slim or big & tall), wetsuit thickness & the way you breath underwater.....
you will improve when you do more dives....... :D
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 am

You got to be kidding me 12kg!!??? i think ur instructor is just kidding with you.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 pm

during your OW, are you wearing the weights with belt or add into your BCD integrated weight system?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#8  Postby Daylight » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 pm

12kg is pretty impossible. no matter how positively bouyant you are it does not take 12kg to sink you.. 6kg is ady hell a weight to carry..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#9  Postby run » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm

since you already bought a new BCD mares may i advise you to do the following.
1) Do the oral inflate. Take a deep breath and count how many blow it need to be fully inflate.
2) Practise how to take out the weights while you are wearing the BCD. This is intergrated weight system. It is not the same with using weight belt.
3) Your BCD have a lot of purge system since it design for air trim. Best to always clean these purge from salts and sands. Make sure that after use either in pool or sea to always check whether there are still water inside or not. If didn't taken care properly the purge will be a downside for you if it leaks.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#10  Postby chakleejun » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Well, i believe you have a LOG BOOK on ur OW, reas what you had written there. thence you know the weigh you had used. Btw, normally as OW student, extra weight will be used to ensure you didn't ascent in a sudden whereby no one can control you.
and dun worry about the integrated weigh. If you body volume really needs more weight and your integrated weight can't fit that, just used extra weigh belt will do :P Cheers
chakleejun
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 pm
Location: selangor
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#11  Postby DannyHeng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi again.  OK some updates.  My instructor just messaged me.  He got it wrong.  He meant 2+ pounds per weight (about 1 kilo)
So that means I carry about 6 kilos. 
Phew!  Hopefully tonight can sleep.  I think I will go dive Mantabuan next weekend  :D


Thanks for all your comments.  It was really bugging me last night
DannyHeng
Diver
Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Tawau, Sabah
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#12  Postby DannyHeng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 pm

chakleejun wrote:Well, i believe you have a LOG BOOK on ur OW, reas what you had written there. thence you know the weigh you had used. Btw, normally as OW student, extra weight will be used to ensure you didn't ascent in a sudden whereby no one can control you.
and dun worry about the integrated weigh. If you body volume really needs more weight and your integrated weight can't fit that, just used extra weigh belt will do :P Cheers



Thanks!  I was stressing about how to properly clean the BCD too.    I got the normal one not the air-trim one.
And yes I did go overboard and buy an oceanic deluxe weight belt with pockets sewn in... haha
Going to be broke at this rate  [-(
DannyHeng
Diver
Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Tawau, Sabah
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#13  Postby run » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

DannyHeng wrote:Hi again.  OK some updates.  My instructor just messaged me.  He got it wrong.  He meant 2+ pounds per weight (about 1 kilo)
So that means I carry about 6 kilos. 
Phew!  Hopefully tonight can sleep.  I think I will go dive Mantabuan next weekend  :D
Thanks for all your comments.  It was really bugging me last night


hahaha u made me laugh la bro
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#14  Postby DannyHeng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 pm

run wrote:
DannyHeng wrote:Hi again.  OK some updates.  My instructor just messaged me.  He got it wrong.  He meant 2+ pounds per weight (about 1 kilo)
So that means I carry about 6 kilos. 
Phew!  Hopefully tonight can sleep.  I think I will go dive Mantabuan next weekend  :D
Thanks for all your comments.  It was really bugging me last night


hahaha u made me laugh la bro



Haha Glad I could entertain!  ;)
DannyHeng
Diver
Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Tawau, Sabah
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#15  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:25 am

DannyHeng wrote:
run wrote:
DannyHeng wrote:Hi again.  OK some updates.  My instructor just messaged me.  He got it wrong.  He meant 2+ pounds per weight (about 1 kilo)
So that means I carry about 6 kilos. 
Phew!  Hopefully tonight can sleep.  I think I will go dive Mantabuan next weekend  :D
Thanks for all your comments.  It was really bugging me last night


hahaha u made me laugh la bro



Just remember to dive safe bro :)

Haha Glad I could entertain!  ;)
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#16  Postby allenwoo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am

It is not about counting the kilos. Nor about body weight or % of insulation under your skin. Do a simple buoyancy check at the surface.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW8A2t59rfU

How To Perform a Simple Buoyancy Check
How to do a simple weight check in the water.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Initial weightIf you don’t know where to begin, take about 10% of your body weight. If diving in tropical waters with a thin wetsuit, subtract 4-6 pounds; if diving in cold water with lots of exposure protection, add 4-6. This will give you a starting weight to tweak.
[*]Enter the waterBegin at the water surface with full diving equipment and an inflated BCD.
[*]Hold a normal breath and deflate your BCDAt this point you should find out if you are properly weighted. If you sink, you are overweighted, if you bob out of the water, you are underweighted. An ideal weight will keep you approximately eye-level.
[*]RepeatBased on feedback from the previous step, adjust your weight accordingly and repeat until you float at eye-level.
[*]Compensate for your cylinderIf you are doing this check with a full cylinder, you should add about 4 pounds to compensate for the end-of-dive when the cylinder will be more buoyant. Trust me, it won’t be fun kicking to stay underwater during the safety stop.
[/list] That’s it! Once you have a proper weight, note it in your dive log to save time in similar diving environments with the same exposure protection.
Last edited by allenwoo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
allenwoo
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#17  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

DannyHeng wrote:Hi again.  OK some updates.  My instructor just messaged me.  He got it wrong.  He meant 2+ pounds per weight (about 1 kilo)
So that means I carry about 6 kilos. 
Phew!  Hopefully tonight can sleep.  I think I will go dive Mantabuan next weekend  :D


Thanks for all your comments.  It was really bugging me last night


don't worry bro..... :D
2 pounds = 800grams or 0.8kg X 6 = 4.8kg weight (it is ok for your size & height)
i assumed u are big and tall based on your descriptions
"Oh and I am 6'2"  and "naturally insulated".  Just got my Mares Dragon BCD (XL) so that is why the this weight question popped into my mind. "
4.8kg weight with wetsuit and XL size BCD should be ok......just enjoy your dive
yes u can trim/reduced  the weight a little bit more since u already have your own BCD...... :D
i personally used 3.2kg or 4.0kg on every dive, my size somewhere in between M & L with height 5'8".....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Noobie with a really really dumb questioin on weights

Post Number:#18  Postby decimal86 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 am

DannyHeng wrote:
chakleejun wrote:Well, i believe you have a LOG BOOK on ur OW, reas what you had written there. thence you know the weigh you had used. Btw, normally as OW student, extra weight will be used to ensure you didn't ascent in a sudden whereby no one can control you.
and dun worry about the integrated weigh. If you body volume really needs more weight and your integrated weight can't fit that, just used extra weigh belt will do :P Cheers



Thanks!  I was stressing about how to properly clean the BCD too.    I got the normal one not the air-trim one.
And yes I did go overboard and buy an oceanic deluxe weight belt with pockets sewn in... haha
Going to be broke at this rate  [-(


there is poison everywhere bro' welcome to the dark side, wait till you buy a camera and the casing...

dont be shy about asking Q's, this is the friendliest place ever...we all have to start somewhere.

oh one more thing about the weights? if you change to wearing shorties or rash guard or thicker suits (5 mm ) your weights requirement are going to change as well. you going into freshwater? also different...

carrying camera also different.

the only time when you may have doubts about whether enough or not is when you do your safety stop when there is surge or wash from the rocks/corals then you start to yo yo a bit. but that is because of the sea conditions.
Last edited by decimal86 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 871
Topics: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am
Location: south of the border, not mexico
Gender: None specified


Return to Scuba Diving Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest