MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Any comment or recommendation between Malapascua and Dumaguete diving....

Any comment or recommendation between Malapascua and Dumaguete diving....

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

Any comment or recommendation between Malapascua and Dumaguete diving....

Post Number:#1  Postby Sen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi,

need some advice and recommendation between Malapascua and Dumaguete diving in the Philippine? anyone has dive these places before? am planning to visit either one in year end......

Thanks ....
Sen
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Any comment or recommendation between Malapascua and Dumaguete diving....

Post Number:#2  Postby bexny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:04 am

I spent a week diving in Malapascua back in May 2007 and loved it! I saw a thresher shark on my first dive at Monad Shoal and then later that afternoon saw the biggest manta I have ever seen, maybe 4m wingspan, incredible.

I dove with Thresher Shark divers and was quite pleased with their service. Andrea the owner organized everything for me - all my transfers, hotels and the dive package. It was nice to arrive as a solo diver with all transport booked instead of having to negotiate for everything while hauling around my huge dive bag.

Other highlights at Malapascua include their mating mandarin fish dive every evening - "The Randy Mandy Dive" I think it was called! Also some cool macro at a couple of sites. Gato Island was ok. There was a small wreck I think, can't remember the name right now but was not impressed.

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about on the island was the food. Bbq chicken and rice every night gets boring after a while. Beers were dirt cheap though.

Overall I found Malapascua very good value for the money. Just be prepared to wake up crazy early for the thresher shark dives. The boat left at 5:30 in the morning when I went! But soooo worth it when you finally see one.
bexny
Diver
Diver

Topics: 2

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions