MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Scuba Diving Pool

Scuba Diving Pool

Discuss anything about scuba diving hereā€¦

Scuba Diving Pool

Post Number:#1  Postby kilrathi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:45 am

Greetings...

We are planning on building a pool in our hometown, seremban, catering mainly for children, and as well as adults.

We have currently designed our pool with 3 zones..3ft .....4ft ... and sudden drop to 8ft ... will this be sufficient ? Please
do give me your advise on this matter. What would you suggest if the above is not suitable ?

Thanking you in advance for your time and patience.

regards,
Ravi
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 1

Re: Scuba Diving Pool

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:39 am

i think this sufficent enough.  How long is the pool? Some design it small so from the shallow to the deep, the slope is steep.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 am

I wish i can have my own pool. I will surely put some artificial reef in my pool.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby Daylight » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am

i think that would be enough as my first dive try out was also at a 8 feet pool. but it was relatively long (50M) but i think a good 25M will be a good distance for practice
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby kilrathi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:08 pm

My pool is 13m long, and 6m wide. I will be having about 1.5m for 2ft area ..3.5m for 3ft & 4 ft area (there will be a slope from 3ft > 4ft - a 2 feet slope) and then a sudden drop 8ft ( about 3.5m long) ... or should i change the deep end to become 10feet ?
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Daylight » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

i think 10 feet will be great but 8 feet will be sufficient for an individual to understand the feeling and ample space to train for their open water.

a suggestion is that you can make a gradient from 4 feet to 8 feet while taking off the 3 feet area as many should be able to stand in 4 feet i believe
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby run » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 am

are you going to cater for kids scuba too?? if so 4ft should be ok for the shallowest part instead of 2 ft.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby kilrathi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Daylight wrote:i think 10 feet will be great but 8 feet will be sufficient for an individual to understand the feeling and ample space to train for their open water.

a suggestion is that you can make a gradient from 4 feet to 8 feet while taking off the 3 feet area as many should be able to stand in 4 feet i believe

Im targeting primarily Kids age 10 and above .. as my academy is concentrating on kids ... but at the same time, i am ensuring sufficient depth is available for those adults wanting to do their training too ...
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby kilrathi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 pm

run wrote:are you going to cater for kids scuba too?? if so 4ft should be ok for the shallowest part instead of 2 ft.

Yes, i am targetting 10years kids and above. The 2ft zone is actually for my kids and other childrens who are below 6 years old, to play around in.

the 3ft are for the 10 year old kids to do their underwater skills (mask clearing, etc) and the 4ft area is for the older kids/ adults to do their skills. The 8ft depth is for everyone to dive & train ... please comment.

I am unable to do a slope from 4ft to 8ft ...as space is limited.
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am

since you are going to have below then 6 years i suggest that you make a partition for the 2ft . As mark for safety zone for the little kids.
It can either be in shape of quater circle or just a plane squre 1.5mx6m wide.
this is what i normally see for a small indoor pool apartments for recreational and for the deep end best goes for the 10ft. The deeper the better
Your original plan for 3ft-4ft with a 2ft slope should be just fine.

well just my 2 cents
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:32 am

13 meters is quite a good amount of space. there are a few pools used for pool sessions in kl i know. one of which is diver's den in PJ opposite university hospital. you can go there to have a look at it for some idea.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby kilrathi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 am

Hi buddies .... i have still not been able to finalise the design. My main target lessons will be for children age 8yrs above. Also we will be having other instructors as well to use the pool, which means i have to consider the fact that adults might be using this place too. i have 3 options of the pool : >

1. 3ft flat bottom drop to 4ft flat bottom and drop to 8ft flat bottom (deepest)

2. 3ft flat bottom slope to 4ft flat bottom and drop to 8ft flat bottom (deepest)

3. 3ft slope till 4.5ft and drop to 8ft flat bottom (deepest)

Please see attachments and do give me your feedback. I appreciate your time and value it.
Attachments
pool1.jpg
pool2.jpg
pool3.jpg
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby run » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 am

i say go for pool3 coz that was the sketch idea  i had after i read your 1st posting about the pool. Not only that it is easier for the contractor to work on it too
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby kilrathi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

i c.. the slope elevation is about 3 degrees..is that OK ?? some were telling me to have a FLAT bottom for 3ft and 4ft so that easy for doing skill training ... is it true ? can't the skill training be done on a 3degree elevation slope ?
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby run » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 am

i cant imagine the 3degree slope but you have at least 7m for the slope right? It cant be that steep.
Furthermore there is no problem for doing the skill training, it just the students will tend to slide litle by little to the deep. Student will feel discomfort only for awhile but once they get the hang of it. It will be ok.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby toodus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Bro, when done can invite us all to practise our bouyancy?
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#17  Postby kilrathi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 pm

run wrote:i cant imagine the 3degree slope but you have at least 7m for the slope right? It cant be that steep.
Furthermore there is no problem for doing the skill training, it just the students will tend to slide litle by little to the deep. Student will feel discomfort only for awhile but once they get the hang of it. It will be ok.

Yes, i think it wont be that steep. Its just that im worried since my students mostly will be children aged 8yrs+ ..will it be comfortable for them to do skill training while sliding down slowly ?? :(
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby kilrathi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 pm

toodus wrote:Bro, when done can invite us all to practise our bouyancy?

I will definitely update once the pool is ready.. most likely 2013 if everythin goes well. :)
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby run » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:15 am

With kids it is more easier. They wont have problem at all. They are always eager and excited when trying to learn something new. I read that any perfectly flat, non-sloped, area in the pool will be more difficult to plaster due to standing water and could potentially be a collection area for dirt that is not otherwise transported by gravity toward a drain.  Therefore, it makes sense to have at least a mild slope for any floor
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby kilrathi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 am

Now that the pool is settled, next : > Deck ... should i use Concrete cement or Composite Heveatech Decking ?
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby run » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 am

for the deck i think you can go for either one of them. both have  quite similiar advantage and disadvantages. Up to you. we pool lovers just love clean blue pool. Just make sure the area not that slippery. Most public pool often use slippery tiles. Very hazardous.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby kilrathi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:58 pm

composite timber Deck cost double of concrete decking... so guess im going for the concrete deck after all. No maintenance, only thing it might be HOT on sunny days .. :(

ANy idea on the water loss rate ?? im now suddenly guessing what will my water bill become like ? :(
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby run » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 am

of coz it will cost u a lot on the bills. i dont have any idea how much it will cost but i'm sure there is a reason why the public pool charge RM4 perentry for each customer :). I once talked with the staff who worked at olympic size pool. They can at least get RM2k perday in a public holiday and they only operate 9 hours perday. Which mean they can accomadate 56 swimmers perhour. Which remind me , i need to get back into my swimming routine. Im turning to a walrus soon if i dont get back in shape hahaha.
Best you try to calculate all the amount of damage you need to consume and the on-going fee that will cost u every months servicing the pool. I'm sure the water treatment must be done regularly since you will be opening your pool for students and friends. It is different with private pool where the one who will be jumpin in is only you and your family members.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby kilrathi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi guys .. the pool is ready, and all is in tact. Now waiting for all scuba equipments to be obtained during MIDE .. :)

I am having a problem now, wonder if anyone can help me out. My chlorine doesnt seems to last. If I put in chlorine today, the next day when i test the water, there is completely no chlorine present .. i tried increasing the chlorine amount, but still the same. I dont know what to do. Please advise.
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby run » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 am

this one i think you have to ask personally with the pool maintainance guy which i dont think is an active member in MUW. perhaps there are a few muw member who has their own pool
but still better ask any pool maitanance guy nearest to you.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby kilrathi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm

run wrote:this one i think you have to ask personally with the pool maintainance guy which i dont think is an active member in MUW. perhaps there are a few muw member who has their own pool
but still better ask any pool maitanance guy nearest to you.

I did, and guess what ?? they are clueless themselves ! :(
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby run » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

it seems that your problem is a common problem. Maybe you have googled a few tips and suggestion in the internet.
Just thought this link might able to help you.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pools ... -days.html
http://www.poolsolutions.com/

i swim once or twice a week in a public pool . Sometime i can see the pool guy switch on
something from the mainbox and bubbles start to come out from the bottom floor and then i hear motor running. This normally happen when there are a lot of swimmers around.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby kilrathi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 am

Thanks for the feedback !
kilrathi
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby raffidi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 am

Hi kiralthi,
Congrats on your pool and hope you solve this problem soon.
Just wanted to find out where your pool is located as I'm in Seremban and if I need to "lepas gian" would be easier than driving to Shan Alam!
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 4

Return to Scuba Diving Discussions