MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Women Health Week

Women Health Week

Organize your events, meetings or get together here

Women Health Week

Post Number:#1  Postby taurusdiver » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:38 am

Recently, I attended Yvonne Foong's book launch, 'I'm Not Sick, Just A Bit Unwell' and have just completed reading her book. It was truly inspiring. She is one helluva strong lady! Her story also made me realise how important it is for us to know and understand our bodies, and how at times, we can be so ignorant about our health until something bad befalls us. That is when, it may be already too late.

Tell me, how many of you out there (women especially) have done your monthly check-ups? Or go for your Pap smears? Guys, check with your girlfriends, moms, sisters, aunties, etc...ask them if they have done any of the mentioned. I can bet you that maybe only 1 out of 10 have done so.

Isn't it ironic how so many of us already know that health is so important yet never really do something about it?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is, let's stop taking our lives and health for granted. Do something about it. If you love your life and your loved ones, come and join me for a seminar on 12th May (One day before mother's day) with Dr. Kim Wong who will be sharing about the common diseases among Malaysian women and what can/should be done.

Also, if you happen to be in 1U between 9-13th of May, do drop by High Street (d area near U Parkson), coz it's Women's Health Week! Who knows, those few minutes that you spend there, may save your life!

Do help spread this news. Thanks! And hope to see you there!
taurusdiver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Women Health Week

Post Number:#2  Postby miemosa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 am

Hi there.. i've done mine for this year.. ;)
good reminder & info too, thanks for sharing.... keep em' coming  :)
dive safely, nothing else matters
miemosa
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:51 pm

I've done mine for this year too...twice ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Bones » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks for the reminder ....

All you gals,

Please remember,

1. Do your monthly self breast examination
2. After age of 35, do a mammogram
3. Annually have a PAP smear

The National Cancer Society offers a screening package (mammogram and PAP smear) for ladies at a good rate. It is a NGO whose aim is to create awareness on Cancer in Malaysia. The office and clinic is at Kampung Baru Kuala Lumpur, beside the CIMB bank
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 am

not very good in this subject... or in everything as well :P

please pardon me...  guys need to do pap smears test one meh? :-?
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#6  Postby Bones » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:39 am

not very good in this subject... or in everything as well :P

please pardon me...  guys need to do pap smears test one meh? :-?

SKK, no lah... u dont need to do coz PAP smear is to detect cervical cancer... Guys do not have a cervix maaa.... ;)

But you guys need to....
Have annual checkups especially if you have strong family history of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, A smoker, heavy alcohol consumer and teh tarik addict ( ;) I added that) .... esp if you're after age of 35.
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:51 am

Hahaha...I wasn't talking about doing pap smear. I do regular check ups....full check up...including HIV, Hepatitis etc etc. Not just the usual lipid profile blood test but full tests including stress test which I do every 6 months. Lipid profile I do every quarter because I have a graph I maintain.

I mentioned somewhere before, if there is something that is killing me, I prefer to know. Then I can divide the remaining time left with how many pubs, massage parlours, girlfriends that I have to visit during that remaining time  ;D ;D ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby Bones » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 am

I mentioned somewhere before, if there is something that is killing me, I prefer to know. Then I can divide the remaining time left with how many pubs, massage parlours, girlfriends that I have to visit during that remaining time  ;D ;D ;D

Good incentive to get ppl to do their check ups ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:45 am

thanks zzz for the info :)

now i know i look stupid  :(  :-/

yeah.. kinda scary too.. human, these days, are so fragile   :-/

could be because of the food we consume these days....

kekekeee.. SD doing pap smears test?  ;D ;D ;D

j/k :)

good thing if one work for goverment .... everything paid for in terms of medical :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby diver » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 am

Info sharing..
for those who are not working under government/or not sponsored by company...
I would like to share some information on Medical Checkup package/screening package available.
Damansara speacilaist hospital....package for:
Package 1- Blod, test, Urine test, Xray- RM319...
if you want to take package 2 on top of package 1 just pay another RM139...for breast check-up, pap smear and another one cant remember la...
diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby zimm » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 am

my sister had breast cancer stage 2, two of my aunts had cancer & one of them died because of stamoch cancer....
nowadays most women are very concern about their health......support fr the friends & family are needed.....not just after there have diagnose wit cancer or any kind of disease, but also to support/encourage them in getting their regular check ups....
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#12  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 01, 2007 2:55 am

hmm.. talking about cancer, i've found out that, a cancer patient, whether or not one is recovered, is not to "worry". Happy go lucky, don't ever worry on any things. so, that is why family members should do their part on this, try not to give them any worries :)

the second thing is, diet, well, i must say, most, if not all, patients must to consume any kind of meat. It's very bad for them.

I have a ex-collegue, she was recovered from ovari cancer 2 years ago, and was going on well, for about 2-3 years. But her problem is that, she has a heavy burden... always thinking about her family at home. after work, she will have to rush back, and cook for them. early morning before coming to work, she will have to go market to get fresh vege and meat. at home, she has a blind mom and a mentally ill brother. Although, all these year, she is so careful on her diet, went to hospital frequently for checkup, chinese medicine from tungshin hospital, but after about 2-3 years, cancer re-occur and after about 2 weeks, she passed away. it's really sad, looking at the situation in the hospital  :( from this, incident, i know that, worriness is the big culprit.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#13  Postby vicheat Joe » Tue May 01, 2007 7:00 am

guys

please learn from my mistake

before this I never take care of my health, eat what ever I want, very seldom exercise and last month just found out that I'm diabetic and at a very high level- now have to diet - the hardest thing for me to do as I like to makan but now seems like semua barang tak boleh makan, but what to do as the doctor told me if the level still high I might need to go for insulin
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 01, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vicheat Joe
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 am

I'm sorry to hear that, Joe.

may i know, if u don't mind, what caused u to "suspect" yourself have diabetic and that u went to see a doctor?
is there any warning or something?

thanks.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#15  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 10:59 am

Sorry to hear that VJ. Ask your doctor and/or Divedoc if you can still dive, please.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#16  Postby Bones » Tue May 01, 2007 11:08 am

guys

please learn from my mistake

before this I never take care of my health, eat what ever I want, very seldom exercise and last month just found out that I'm diabetic and at a very high level- now have to diet - the hardest thing for me to do as I like to makan but now seems like semua barang tak boleh makan, but what to do as the doctor told me if the level still high I might need to go for insulin

Bro, Diet is really hard at the start but there are a lot of alternatives..

Do try your best coz not just being on insulin sucks but the complication of diabetes is devastating...

Not to scare you but my uncle was also diagnosed as diabetic at a very young age (28) and my family was worried bout him then coz he never jaga makan,... everytime I advise ( as a family member and also a dr) he says..." alllaaaa uncle jaga makan..uncle cuma ambik teh tarik kurang manis"... now 15 years down de line... he has all complications... renal failure which needs dialysis 3x per week... cataracts... etc...

Do look after yourself.... If you need advise on diet (alternatives etc...) msg me... I read up a lot when trying to advise my uncle on this esp after his renal failure....
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby vicheat Joe » Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 am

kencing kuat - in actual terms bukan kuat menipu
started to notice about a month and half ago that I urinated a lot and very frequent- sometime almost every hour, then I'm always thirsty. I went to see doctor as I knew what the diabetic symptom are as my dad was a diabetic and this was one of the reasons he passed away

actually my family are not shock when I told them that I got diabeties based from my lifestyle  and diabetic is hereditary, many times they have advise me to exercise regularly and watch what I eat- but now its too late.

here is an article that I got from a website
Diabetes mellitus is a disease characterized by persistent hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). It is a metabolic disease that requires medical diagnosis, treatment and lifestyle changes. The World Health Organization recognizes three main forms of diabetes: type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes (or type 3, occurring during pregnancy), although these three "types" of diabetes are more accurately considered patterns of pancreatic failure rather than single diseases. Type 1 is due to autoimmune destruction of the insulin-producing cells, while type 2 and gestational diabetes are due to insulin resistance by tissues.

Since the first therapeutic use of insulin (1921) diabetes has been a treatable but chronic condition, and the main risks to health are its characteristic long-term complications. These include cardiovascular disease (doubled risk), chronic renal failure (it is the main cause for dialysis in developed world adults), retinal damage which can lead to blindness and is the most significant cause of adult blindness in the non-elderly in the developed world, nerve damage, erectile dysfunction (impotence), to gangrene with risk of amputation of toes, feet, and even legs.

The classical triad of diabetes symptoms is polyuria (frequent urination), polydipsia (increased thirst, and consequent increased fluid intake) and blurred vision. These symptoms may develop quite fast in type 1, particularly in children (weeks or months), but may be subtle or completely absent - as well as developing much more slowly - in type 2. In type 1 there may also be weight loss (despite normal or increased eating), increased appetite, and irreducible fatigue. These symptoms may also manifest in type 2 diabetes in patients whose diabetes is poorly controlled.

Thirst develops because of osmotic effects—sufficiently high glucose (above the "renal threshold") in the blood is excreted by the kidneys, but this requires water to carry it and causes increased fluid loss, which must be replaced. The lost blood volume will be replaced from water held inside body cells, causing dehydration. Prolonged high blood glucose causes changes in the shape of the lens in the eye, leading to vision changes. Blurred vision is a common complaint leading to a diagnosis of type 1; it should always be suspected in such cases.

Patients (usually with type 1 diabetes) may also present with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), an extreme state of dysregulation characterized by the smell of acetone on the patient's breath, Kussmaul breathing (a rapid, deep breathing), polyuria, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain and any of many altered state of consciousness or arousal (eg, hostility and mania or, equally, confusion and lethargy). In severe DKA, coma (unconsciousness) may follow, progressing to death if untreated. In any form, DKA is a medical emergency and requires expert attention.

A rarer but equally severe presentation is hyperosmolar nonketotic state, which is more common in type 2 diabetes, and is mainly the result of dehydration due to the polyuria. Often, the patient has been drinking extreme amounts of sugar-containing drinks, leading to a vicious circle in regard to water loss.
vicheat Joe
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:19 am

Which is why I do my complete blood screening every 1.5 to 2 months...mainly for my lipid profile, although I'm only required to do it twice a year. I do lipid profile, fasting blood sugar, HIV, VDRL..the works.

You're still young, VJ. Take good care of your body.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 02, 2007 9:52 am

thanks joe, for the story.

i'm scared now  :(

wondering whether if just do normal makan and avoid sugar (teh tarik, coke, coffee) will help?  :-/
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#20  Postby MynN » Wed May 02, 2007 11:04 pm

Thx VJ for creating the awareness...  :)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Bones » Thu May 03, 2007 11:57 am

wondering whether if just do normal makan and avoid sugar (teh tarik, coke, coffee) will help?  :-/

Yup...that's a start. But what is Normal makan for you??? Excessive carbohydrate also not good. Cakes, pies cookies all have loads of sugar.....(just an example)

Another thing is EXCERCISE!!! Recommended 30 minutes minumum 3 x a week...
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby babynemo » Thu May 03, 2007 1:24 pm

Yup...that's a start. But what is Normal makan for you??? Excessive carbohydrate also not good. Cakes, pies cookies all have loads of sugar.....(just an example)

Yup i agree with u zzz.. we all need to exercise which is min 3 times a week at least 30 minutes...  i used to be an excercise freak and very health consious...  just started doing aerobics last week after such a long holiday, hehe.  Have to start again, i want my old figure back huhu.  Need to cut all the sweets tho, and red meat.  
babynemo
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri May 04, 2007 7:52 am

ermm.. normal makan.. means a normal place of rice.. eg, friend rice with meat and vege... or maybe rice with some masakan ayam and vege or maybe some nasi goreng lembu... kekekee these are normally what i eat :P wondering if these are ok or not?

although i eat normal portion, but my body size is showing that i eat extra portion... kekekee, could be that my metabolism rate is zero... it's just an assumption  :-/ used  to by an ex-sportman... i met few of my friends, also swimming with me last time... they are also as big size as me once they stop  :o
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#24  Postby Bones » Fri May 04, 2007 11:46 am

SKK,

First of all typical Malaysian Diet is not really good... too much santan and fat

2nd, as you grow older your metabolic rate decreases... so even though you ate same volume as when you are younger you'll tend to put on weight if you don't excercise

So EXCERCISE!!!!
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby babynemo » Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Conclusion is... Exercise is the key no matter how lazy u are!!   ;D
babynemo
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat May 05, 2007 6:19 am

kekeke... i guess no choise but...to take your advice then  :( ;)

i used to be a california fitness member... kekekee... first few months ok lah... after that... lazy to go... few months down the road, langsung tak attend.. but still continued paying  :( b4 i left for US, i cancelled it  ;)

hmmm... have to read those "sick ppl story" ... then i'll scare and force myself to go :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#27  Postby MynN » Sat May 05, 2007 11:09 am

I agree with zzz... exercise is good for ur health... :D at the same time hv to watch wut u eat..  :P

but there r other things that u can do besides going to the gym.. i dun like gyms.. i find them too commercialized..  :P

for myself i exercise on my own at the moment.. but i plan to join a kickboxing class.. kickboxing is also a form of exercise and i also get to learn how to defend myself...  :D

but one thing for sure.. do exercises that u like n that motivates u... if u feel like its a chore than no point, u won't get the most out of the exercise.. ;)
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun May 06, 2007 12:19 am

ya.. i agree with you... hmm.. btw.. where can u get kick boxing class ah? .. i guess it's also those gym provides them, right?

since i was at that gym @ midvalley b4 that.... after parking my car, instead of going straight to the 4th floor, i went down from 3rd floor to LG, and by that time, it was almost about 10.30pm, so, headed for my car, and home i went ... kekekekeee

sia-sia asaja :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#29  Postby MynN » Sun May 06, 2007 9:18 am

ya.. i agree with you... hmm.. btw.. where can u get kick boxing class ah? .. i guess it's also those gym provides them, right?

since i was at that gym @ midvalley b4 that.... after parking my car, instead of going straight to the 4th floor, i went down from 3rd floor to LG, and by that time, it was almost about 10.30pm, so, headed for my car, and home i went ... kekekekeee

sia-sia asaja :P

kickboxing at the gym not the same as in a proper kickboxing  centre.. the one at the gym just take a small routine of kickboxing and says its kickboxing..  :)
u can learn kickboxing at the kickboxing studios.. there are several in pj..

at midvalley u walk around n makan first? then only wanna go gym?
hahaha... i dun think u'll reach ur gym...  :D
MynN
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun May 06, 2007 12:43 pm

kickboxing at the gym not the same as in a proper kickboxing  centre.. the one at the gym just take a small routine of kickboxing and says its kickboxing..  :)
u can learn kickboxing at the kickboxing studios.. there are several in pj..

at midvalley u walk around n makan first? then only wanna go gym?
hahaha... i dun think u'll reach ur gym...  :D

hmm.. when i'm back.. must go and see see look look :P .. at least if everyone is working out, i'm force to follow them..  ;) rather than doing it alone.. lama lama .. malas :P

kekekee.. that's the problem  ;D after work at around 7pm.. reach midvalley at 7.30pm... first excuse.. lapar lah.. must go dinner...... finish about 8pm.. then next excuse... cannot go straight exercise lepas makan... so, go walk walk, the next thing when i look at my watch, it's about 9.30pm to 10pm... last excuse.. aiya so late already, tomorrow have to work.... so, home i go  ;D ;D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Next

Return to Events & Meetings