MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - International Cleanup Day 2008 - 20/21 September on Tioman Island

International Cleanup Day 2008 - 20/21 September on Tioman Island

Organize your events, meetings or get together here

International Cleanup Day 2008 - 20/21 September on Tioman Island

Post Number:#1  Postby bjsalang » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Divers and Ocean Protecters,

We cordially invite you to take part in our annual Project AWARE International Cleanup Day from 20th to 21st September 2008.

Fortunately we do not find much debris in the waters around Tioman Island, mainly thanks to our staff and regular responsible divers, who collect debris whenever they encounter it. Unless this situation is changing until September, we will have yet again a very special program for our volunteers. We will yet again be conducting a collection of the COT which pose a thread to our hard coral reefs.
- Crown of Thorns (COT) is a coral eating starfish that is threatening the reefs around Tioman Island and around the globe. The only means of protecting the reef is by collecting the COT and to bury them on the beaches
- This year we have already conducted 3 COT cleanup days, the last one end of August together with the Tioman Marine Park
- During the International Cleanup Days, we will organize a COT collection on the most affected reefs around Coral Island. Depending on the number of volunteers, we will mainly focus on dive sites such as Sepoi Island, Batu Malang, Fan Canyon, Chebeh Island and One Tree Bay
- We will conduct a minimum of 2 boat dives on Saturday and on Sunday, so you will get at least 4 dives under your belt. If necessary or feasible, we will conduct a 3rd beach dive on Saturday to collect COT and/or debris from our house reef in Salang Bay
- On Saturday night, we will organize a BBQ party for all helpers
- The collected COT will be counted and buried on the beach. The collected data will be forwarded to the Tioman Marine Park, Project AWARE and Coral Aid Australia
- Costs: We are charging only MYR 250.00 per diver to cover some of our costs. These charges include: 4 boat dives, a possible beach dive, Certificate of Recognition, BBQ and a special Cleanup T-Shirt
- MYR 50.00 per participant will be donated to Project AWARE

The more friends you bring the better!

It would be great to have you with us again for this action to safe our marine environment.

Remember that we can help you with your ferry/flight/transfer and/or accomodation booking so just drop us a line to martin@divetioman.com and we'll sort the rest out for you.

We're looking forward to have again many volunteers supporting us during the 20th and 21st September 2008.

Happy bubbles, clear water and best regards,

Martin Ritter
Marketing / Sales Director

B&J Diving Centre Sdn. Bhd.
Tioman Island – Malaysia
Office Tel.    +60 9 419 55 55
Email: martin@divetioman.com
bjsalang
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Re: International Cleanup Day 2008 - 20/21 September on Tioman Island

Post Number:#2  Postby blue_ocean » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi ya Martin..
I know this may sound late, but how did the beach cleanup went? I wanted to organize one for Tioman as well, in Juara to be exact. However, I wasn't able to do since I was posted to Perhentian Island. I work at Way Out Experiences (M) Sdn. Bhd., where we carried out the beach cleanup in Perhentian (we collected enough mineral water bottles to make a boat out of it). Any plans to do more beach cleanup?
Life's a beach...deal with it!  ;D
blue_ocean
Diver
Diver

Return to Events & Meetings