MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Responsible Divers - READ ON.

Responsible Divers - READ ON.

This thread is dedicated to all questions and issues pertaining to environmental, conservation, and regulations.

Re: Responsible Divers - READ ON.

Post Number:#31  Postby Ery » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 am

joe wrote:informative...thanx :)

yeah, very informative indeed  B-)
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#32  Postby Scorpenesub » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Snafu,

Good guidelines. Thanks for posting them. Just two questions though on the part about patronising the cottage industry involving souvenirs from the sea.

1. While we as divers will avoid buying those souvenirs, can we stop others from buying? Especially non-divers.

2. No education of the locals will sink through if we do not suggest a sustainable source of income to replace their sale of souvenirs. What is the plan here? You just can't take away someone's rice bowl and expect them to say "Thank you".

Education through school curriculum is a good start. But when it comes to a livelihood, it is still one's choice. A thief did not start out to be a thief. Selling souvenirs for the many locals in any country with diving industry helps to uplift those who do not benefit directly from the industry. Look at the squalid village conditions that are a hidden backdrop to the opulence of a beach resort. The solution is not as simple as telling these people, "Hey, stop that, you are raping the sea."

We must remember that for many cultures, the sea is a resource, and that sea shells had intrinsic values as currencies for trade long before the paper IOUs were issued by governments of today.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#33  Postby SilverFox » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 am

Good morning to you,
I am a great fan on Malaysia and have been diving here for the last 5 years and although there is a lot of noise about saving the reefs,clean-up programs of some limited beaches and dive sites etc, it is still amazing how badly the dive sites and resorts are deteriorating. I can refer to Redang especially as this has been my favourite holiday  destination but I have dived in Tioman (this is surely the worst of the Islands on the East Coast of Peninsula Malaysia), Lang Tengha, Kappas(badly maintained), Langkawi (Coral Island - coral is dying off), Perhentian, KK and just recently Mataking. (I know I have miss spelt some of the places). I have attached some pictures(could not seem to attach them, which is a pity) of what was on the beach in Mataking island; and this being a paradise it is a shame that not even the resort owners or the dive operator do anything to keep it clean. This is the same for Redang where the resort owners seem not to care to much and just think of sort term income (It used to be no speed boat activities, whereas now it is common place, disco's have emerged in most of the  resorts etc). Redang was a gem of an Island but it is now turning out to be like Tioman - a lot of traffic, public not to interested in keeping the place clean (plastic all over the place, bottles, even baby nappies!! etc etc). Either  the marine park officials are fighting a loosing battle(as the general public are not interested) or just do not care!. Mix FM have tried to make the general public aware with the morning and afternoon shows, this seems to be falling on deaf ears. I heard a big weekend campaign is going to happen on Redang Island, this is great, but it needs to be done frequently; not just once a dive season. A group have just come back from Puerto G, and in 30 minutes they collected 100 kg plus of junk. This is one small dive group. The divers cannot do this alone, the need and must get the help of the general public. Get the big Oil giants involved. Recently i also read an article in the Expat Magazine about some big group buying JapaMala Resort on Toiman Island, do you think they care about the rubbish that is being pored into the sea or on the beaches on the rest of the Island. NO... The only way is to impose huge fines on these resorts and on the Dive Resorts if they are found guilty. Guilty as charged. For those divers who have buoyancy issues - get is sorted, otherwise do not dive, or dive only over sandy seabed’s and stay away from the coral.
40++
“Only after the last tree has been cut,Only after the last river has been poisoned,Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten" Native Cree
SilverFox
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#34  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 pm

SilverFox wrote:Good morning to you,
I am a great fan on Malaysia and have been diving here for the last 5 years and although there is a lot of noise about saving the reefs,clean-up programs of some limited beaches and dive sites etc, it is still amazing how badly the dive sites and resorts are deteriorating. I can refer to Redang especially as this has been my favourite holiday  destination but I have dived in Tioman (this is surely the worst of the Islands on the East Coast of Peninsula Malaysia), Lang Tengha, Kappas(badly maintained), Langkawi (Coral Island - coral is dying off), Perhentian, KK and just recently Mataking. (I know I have miss spelt some of the places). I have attached some pictures(could not seem to attach them, which is a pity) of what was on the beach in Mataking island; and this being a paradise it is a shame that not even the resort owners or the dive operator do anything to keep it clean. This is the same for Redang where the resort owners seem not to care to much and just think of sort term income (It used to be no speed boat activities, whereas now it is common place, disco's have emerged in most of the  resorts etc). Redang was a gem of an Island but it is now turning out to be like Tioman - a lot of traffic, public not to interested in keeping the place clean (plastic all over the place, bottles, even baby nappies!! etc etc). Either  the marine park officials are fighting a loosing battle(as the general public are not interested) or just do not care!. Mix FM have tried to make the general public aware with the morning and afternoon shows, this seems to be falling on deaf ears. I heard a big weekend campaign is going to happen on Redang Island, this is great, but it needs to be done frequently; not just once a dive season. A group have just come back from Puerto G, and in 30 minutes they collected 100 kg plus of junk. This is one small dive group. The divers cannot do this alone, the need and must get the help of the general public. Get the big Oil giants involved. Recently i also read an article in the Expat Magazine about some big group buying JapaMala Resort on Toiman Island, do you think they care about the rubbish that is being pored into the sea or on the beaches on the rest of the Island. NO... The only way is to impose huge fines on these resorts and on the Dive Resorts if they are found guilty. Guilty as charged. For those divers who have buoyancy issues - get is sorted, otherwise do not dive, or dive only over sandy seabed’s and stay away from the coral.

Hey SilverFox,

I think you have double posted the same statement: here and at REEF CHECK - ECODIVER (PERHENTIAN BESAR - JULY 2007). I think the mods won't be pleased with that. Stick to one threat or say something different....
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#35  Postby babynemo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks for providing useful information
babynemo
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#36  Postby bijan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:31 am

I noticed this is ur first posting, welcome to MUW..

Please introduce yourself to us by starting a new topic in the Introduction board..all of us here would like to know more about u..
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#37  Postby maritimer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:35 pm

GooD Attempt for a 1st timer... Cuba lagiii....(Try again)............ :D
maritimer
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#38  Postby MT_Tanc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:56 pm

btw,i've never been to Toiman Island.where is it  locate?
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#39  Postby Ery » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:20 pm

empty_tank wrote:btw,i've never been to Toiman Island.where is it  locate?

Toiman? where is that?  :icon_tongue:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#40  Postby MT_Tanc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 pm

ery azahari wrote:

Toiman? where is that?   :icon_tongue:

good.another one confuser.so maybe we can ask Silverfox to organise a trip there
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#41  Postby Ery » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:31 pm

empty_tank wrote:
ery azahari wrote:

Toiman? where is that?  :icon_tongue:

good.another one confuser.so maybe we can ask Silverfox to organise a trip there

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby DecLim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 pm

Nice job, i thk this should issue to every diver, mayb to anyone going to having their beach holiday.
Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Sleep
Work Hard for Dive, Dive hard for Fun & Memory !!
DecLim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby DecLim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:30 pm

ery wrote:
empty_tank wrote:
ery azahari wrote:

Toiman? where is that?   :icon_tongue:

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Tioman was a great place for diver, u guys should try at least 1 time over there, so so so beautiful underwater, got whale shark too, hehe.

Hope can meet u guys over there 1 day.
Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Sleep
Work Hard for Dive, Dive hard for Fun & Memory !!
DecLim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby SilverFox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:22 am

To all you individuals that commented on my spelling of Toiman (Tioman- and i will add that i was not aware that this was a forum for spelling checks), this just shows how ignorant you actually are. You must belong to the group of divers that have no idea on what it is all about, and in my very humble opinion should stay out of the water and off the beaches.
Good luck to you.
MD
40++
“Only after the last tree has been cut,Only after the last river has been poisoned,Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten" Native Cree
SilverFox
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#45  Postby LaraCroft » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:51 am

Hi SilverFox,

I notice you are new here. I welcome you to MUW and do make urself comfortable. Ignore the pesky boys they are just being naughty and pulling ur leg.

Thanks for sharing information with us but still we would like to know you more, kindly introduce urself in the introduction section yah.

Cheers!
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#46  Postby IkanBilis » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:23 am

Hiya Silverfox, those guys were just having fun.. don't worry about that, just do your introduction.

I agree with many things u said. Beaches and seas here are not as pristine as we would like it to be. In the first place waste management in these areas are not the best, but slowly and surely, the locals are being made aware of the need to protect the environment.

Another fact we should consider is that Peninsular Malaysia is located in the middle of one of the busiest shipping lanes, as well as the turning point of many ocean currents. For example during the monsoon season, the currents pushed flotsam from Indonesia, Philippines, and even South China and Vietnam to the South China Sea and directly to the East Coast. With higher waves pounding the beaches, these flotsam gets deposited high up the beaches. Ships plying the South China Sea are known to dispose of sludge in the seas, and these drifted to our waters. There is nothing the authorities could do to stop them. Being in rural areas, beaches were not raked in the morning, like what they do in Bondi and Manly beaches in Sydney. They use Bobcats to rake the beach of flotsam from the city, that's why they look beautiful and nice all the time.

In the West Coast, the affluents from urban waterways drifted out to sea, even when garbage booms are in operation in many rivers. The government spent millions of Ringgits, to make sure proper waste management are in place to counter this problem, but attitude is something we need to tackle. The large majority of locals are very much aware of the need to dispose of rubbish properly, but we are also saddled by Indonesians, Bangladeshis, Myanmarese, etc. who couldn't care less. Industries are continuously flouting laws and dumping untreated affluents into rivers and waterways.

Perhaps, we should start with ourselves. Don't just look and remark later, why don't we take action by reminding those who we witness throwing rubbish indiscriminately. Pick up trash whenever we encounter them and dispose them properly. Perhaps our action will instill some sense of awareness to the people around us.
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#47  Postby shafi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:36 pm

On the Environ Education Programme for island schools (which includes reef conservation), I am aware some groups are already working on this... I will try to obtain their modules and see what are the topics covered.

For Wild Asia we just developed one 6-module programme for primary school kids, and the Phase 1 of the Environmental Education (EE) Programme is called "Discover Your Environment: From Hills to Seas", so it looks at what's on land, and how everything ends up in the sea. More about it on http://www.wildasia.net/main.cfm?page=a ... icleID=387.

Its classroom sessions integrated with outdoor activities, so its kinda fun for the kids  :)

Maybe we can modify the module a little for it to be more applicable to the island's school-going children? Tell me what you think and I'll see if my team is willing to take it on...

Let me know if there is already something similar being taught in our primary schools...
To die as I have lived.....*Paulo Coelho*
shafi
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#48  Postby Linko » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi all, Do we have a "MUW Charter"? Sorta like what MUW divers adhere to when diving. I like the link Snafu posted... maybe we can make one for ourselves in MUW?

There's a wealth of experience and advice in all the threads. It'd be great if we could make it into 4 simple sentences to follow (more than 4 sentences I lupak) :P.

How's this:
1. Take Pictures, Make Friends and Memories
2. Don't touch or buy Marine Life
3. Respect the Locals and the Dive site
4. Always Buddy Check

It's just a starter. Would be awesome to see it become something all of us can be proud of and share with new divers! They're often taught the wrong, and dangerous things (marine hazards, diving safety, spearfishing, souvenier collection, etc). Then after that we can sticky it to educate everyone on what we believe in :)

Dive Safe! :fish:
Have no Fear, Test your Gear!
Linko
Diver
Diver

Topics: 2

Previous

Return to Environment Education