MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Responsible Divers - READ ON.

Responsible Divers - READ ON.

This thread is dedicated to all questions and issues pertaining to environmental, conservation, and regulations.

Responsible Divers - READ ON.

Post Number:#1  Postby Snafu » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Is not written by me ... but I think is good reading for divers.

http://www.longitude181.com/charte/charte-en.html

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Re: Responsible Divers - READ ON.

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:56 am

Good one bro...good guidelines
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby Nizaha » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:13 am

thx for info...

Safe diving

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby sheik » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 am

good refresher!
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby zimm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 pm

wah.....this is gud.....especially for those who always go diving away fr our local water :P
Last edited by zimm on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#6  Postby Snafu » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:02 pm

I am in the mood to find information about diving ... diving safety.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Botak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Good info. Refuse to buy those souvenirs should be ok for all people, but boycott those restaurants which serve shark fin soup i think pretty hard. Some divers will choose not to eat, but chinese, you know, no matter what kind of dinner, shark fin soup is a must for the menu.
Botak
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Snafu » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:23 pm

Good info. Refuse to buy those souvenirs should be ok for all people, but boycott those restaurants which serve shark fin soup i think pretty hard. Some divers will choose not to eat, but chinese, you know, no matter what kind of dinner, shark fin soup is a must for the menu.

Is about time we change the education method .... start early, start young.

We can try to propose Ocean Education to the Government..... primary school - high school - college ...etc

;D
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:13 am

Ocean Education is a hard sell...but if you package it as Environmental Awareness Education, should be able to sell.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby Snafu » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 am

Ocean Education is a hard sell...but if you package it as Environmental Awareness Education, should be able to sell.

Shall we sit down & try to put this together into the pipeline?

;D
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:06 am

Shall we sit down & try to put this together into the pipeline?

;D

How many more days have you got?

As for pushing the idea to Hishamuddin, I have no problems with that. He's looking to score some points too.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby Snafu » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:11 am

How many more days have you got?

As for pushing the idea to Hishamuddin, I have no problems with that. He's looking to score some points too.

I will know in a few days time ... will get back to you about it

;D
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:13 pm

GO ECO !!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#14  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Good Guidelines there Snafu! ;)
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby jgshuwei » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Simple yet informative...

Thank you bro!
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#16  Postby IkanBilis » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Good move to push the Environmental Awareness Education to schools, I believe in instilling these values in the children's young minds. For the teens, maybe a RakanMuda Diver programme or a Kelab Menyelam would be good for secondary school students.

I'm using my translating skills and tools to translate the International Guidelines to Bahasa Malaysia.. coming soon..pro bono work have to be done in the sidelines..hehehe.
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#17  Postby Snafu » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am

Hmmmmm... it be good if we can do something about this, to include marine awareness in School.

Continue learning process, start them young & the future for sure be very bright.

;D
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:40 am

Hmm..let me see if I can talk to Azmi Khalid through Mala about this too. It would be good to see the extent of devastation in Malaysia especially so we can formulate the best approach to this.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby flying tapir » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:15 am

eh..wrong timing... ::)
<><> diving is divine..diving is prayer..
flying tapir
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby MACHA » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:26 am

Is not written by me ... but I think is good reading for divers.

http://www.longitude181.com/charte/charte-en.html

;D

Gud one bro.......i like it! :)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#21  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 am

eh..wrong timing... ::)

What is wrong timing?
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#22  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

yeah...about time we see things in a bigger picture. even the smallest things we do is actuallty contributing to the big picture.

also as someone from the industry, i dont know whether this is relavant or not, i would like to ask our fellow members, please dont be 'too budget' when spending. whether its a diving trip or or a normal tour. especially when we go to countries that are less better off than us. i dont condone they slashing our throats in pricing...and i dont condone also we the visitors wring their necks for bargain. there is an equilibrium to be achive....how? thats up to your judgement....in the long term...its best for both of us.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#23  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Well, that is why I do not go to places like Indonesia to scuba dive...different kind of diving I don't mind, it helps the economy too. So when I go on a dive trip, I ask the Extended Limbo rock question: How low can you go while it still pays your salaries and overheads...then I do a minimum of 5-7 dives.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#24  Postby Lily » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Good move to push the Environmental Awareness Education to schools, I believe in instilling these values in the children's young minds. For the teens, maybe a RakanMuda Diver programme or a Kelab Menyelam would be good for secondary school students.

I'm using my translating skills and tools to translate the International Guidelines to Bahasa Malaysia.. coming soon..pro bono work have to be done in the sidelines..hehehe.

This is a good idea and few Pusat Kokurikulum Negeri (state extra curricular centre) had started doing this in a smaller scale. But sad to say, MOE had no trained officials to run this program especially in the rescuing department. Few water activities (snorkeling, optimist) had been conducted (in training session) without certified rescuer where usually teachers are the guides and trainer.

Personally as a teacher, I wanna this thing to change. I am encouraging few teacher diver (which is not that many) to continue to be certified rescuer. Even we are certified it does not mean that we are going to get the job. It is something easier said than done.  :( :-X
Life is beautiful!! Don't waste it..
Lily
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby IkanBilis » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:23 pm

This is a good idea and few Pusat Kokurikulum Negeri (state extra curricular centre) had started doing this in a smaller scale. But sad to say, MOE had no trained officials to run this program especially in the rescuing department. Few water activities (snorkeling, optimist) had been conducted (in training session) without certified rescuer where usually teachers are the guides and trainer.

Personally as a teacher, I wanna this thing to change. I am encouraging few teacher diver (which is not that many) to continue to be certified rescuer. Even we are certified it does not mean that we are going to get the job. It is something easier said than done.  :( :-X

I agree with u Lily, but I think teachers should be trained or certified at the teachers' training colleges, so that they will be ready with the fire in their bellies when they hit the schools. Many things can be done, but are not done as yet.

How many local universities and colleges has Diving clubs, or societies, or promotes diving as an extra curricular activity with credits? These students would be professionals, and through them, the diving industry can grow, thus creating more awareness of our ocean conservation efforts for the next generation.
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#26  Postby Snafu » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:06 am

Hmmmmm ... If we draft the plan, starting from:

5-6 yrs old - Step 1

7-12yrs old - Step 2

13-17yrs old - Step 3

Come-up with some sort of books for above .... continue [highlight]marine education[/highlight] for school & college.

;D
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby IkanBilis » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:09 am

Hmmmmm ... If we draft the plan, starting from:

5-6 yrs old - Step 1

7-12yrs old - Step 2

13-17yrs old - Step 3

Come-up with some sort of books for above .... continue [highlight]marine education[/highlight] for school & college.

;D

Anyone wants to do a PhD in Marine Education?? This could be your research subject...
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#28  Postby Lily » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:16 am

I agree with u Lily, but I think teachers should be trained or certified at the teachers' training colleges, so that they will be ready with the fire in their bellies when they hit the schools. Many things can be done, but are not done as yet.

How many local universities and colleges has Diving clubs, or societies, or promotes diving as an extra curricular activity with credits? These students would be professionals, and through them, the diving industry can grow, thus creating more awareness of our ocean conservation efforts for the next generation.

I remembered my days back in teachers' training college. Within one year (for KPLI) we need to fulfill 32 credits including 12 weeks of practicum. It was just hell!! But very enjoying. All trainees must go for BIG-Bina Insan Guru and it has two slots of water activity - kayaking and floating ( ;D). I had witnessed few teachers to be had their 'first taste' of water activities from this program.

In the new system they offered after SPM students to do their Bachelor of Education. In this system, they spent 5 years to complete their course. This groups of teachers to be are the best group if we are targeting to educate and to train teachers.

Few weeks back, there was an activity held by one of the pusat kokurilum at one marine park. They selected form 4 students- 2 each from selected schools. It is a good activity to educate the kids on awareness of our ocean. I was told about it earlier and my buddy and I offered to chaperon the kids - hey I might not yet being certified as a rescuer but at least I have extra skills then others. We were not told when is the program and only knew it was on the day it started. The accompanying teacher (from my school) is not a certified diver or what so ever and my buddy and I were not selected just because we are teaching a critical subject and been suggested not to leave school often. I am not being a green eyed monster but we are dealing with the students life.

The sports department of MOE do admit on this lack of safety personnel problem, but have anything being done - no! We don't want to risk a life just to make people aware on this problem.

From this forum I know that MMU has a diving club, how about other unis?
Lily
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby Lily » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:22 am

It is advisable to draft it as an extra curricular activity rather than normal classes... Every ministry is trying to have a subject in our education system. We had up a few but there is a long waiting list... now they had add up sivik and road safety. It has cramped up our time table!!
Lily
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby joe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am

informative...thanx :)
by joetahir
joe
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Next