MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Freediving/Apnea/Tahan Napas

Freediving/Apnea/Tahan Napas

General discussion on Freediving, Equipment, Stories, Training and Techniques

Freediving/Apnea/Tahan Napas

Post Number:#1  Postby mephisto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:33 pm

Hello Everybody.

Question 1:
Is there any freediver based in Malaysia,Singapore,Thailand,Indonesia and Brunei OUT THERE?

Question 2:
Do you want to learn to freedive?

Question 3:
Do you know what freediving is?
(Its definately not scuba diving for free!)

Rambling session 1.

There reason i ask the above question is to know the current freediving situation in Malaysia and its neighbours (any doing it or any intersted to learn about it).

I myself am not a freediver YET! Just  want to know is the any one out there who can give advise and also if any one want to be one......we can start together and help each other out.

In the mean time i will post some stuff on this forum to explain what is freediving, how to do it,safety, equipment, swimming, fitness,yoga...etc.

See Yaa!
mephisto

Topic author

Re: Freediving/Apnea/Tahan Napas

Post Number:#2  Postby mephisto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Below are the categories of free diving:

Static Apnea - The diver holds his/her breath floating face down in a swimming pool.

Dynamic Apnea - This category is divided in two, with fins and without fins. The divers swim horizontally not more than a meter (3.28ft) under water in a swimming pool.

Free Immersion - The diver must descend and ascend by pulling on the rope. Weight may be worn, but this is simply variation of the constant weight category so the diver must return to the surface with the same amount of weight used for the descent. No fins are worn. To prove the diver has reached the appointed depth, video footage must show his/her hand touching a plate at that depth.

Constant Ballast - The diver must descend and ascend kicking and completely unassisted. The diver may wear weight, but whatever weight is taken down must be returned to the surface. Other than to stop the descent at the bottom and grab a confirmation tag, the diver must not touch the rope. This is the truest form of Freediving and the most respected category amongst freedivers (despite not being the deepest) as a result of the physical element involved.

Variable Ballast - The diver descends on a weighted sled and returns to the surface under his or her own power, either kicking and/or pulling on the rope, or a combination of both.

No Limits - The diver descends on a weighted sled and returns to the surface using a lift bag that is inflated by the diver at depth. This is the deepest category of Freediving involving very little physical exertion and an enormous amount of mental control. The ability to equalise quickly, reliably and to great depth is imperative.

I am personally interested in the Dynamic Apnea Category......easy to train.....can do it in the pool....dont have to find somewhere deep.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby mephisto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Also i forgot to mention is that freediving is an off shot of spearfishing.....soo...to any spearo out there who like to share some expiriance and pointer.....i know a lot of people would like to listen.... :)
Last edited by mephisto on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:35 pm

Hello Everybody.

Question 1:
Is there any freediver based in Malaysia,Singapore,Thailand,Indonesia and Brunei OUT THERE?

Question 2:
Do you want to learn to freedive?

Question 3:
Do you know what freediving is?
(Its definately not scuba diving for free!)

Rambling session 1.

There reason i ask the above question is to know the current freediving situation in Malaysia and its neighbours (any doing it or any intersted to learn about it).

I myself am not a freediver YET! Just  want to know is the any one out there who can give advise and also if any one want to be one......we can start together and help each other out.

In the mean time i will post some stuff on this forum to explain what is freediving, how to do it,safety, equipment, swimming, fitness,yoga...etc.

See Yaa!

Answer to Q1 - dont know
Answer to Q2 - maybe/unsure
Answer to Q3 - yes
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am

How does by "tahan napas" keeps u fit?
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby mephisto » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:12 pm

Tahan napas does not keep you fit.......but to be able to tahan napas for an extended period you need to be fit......so its a matter of you have to do A to achive B.

Its all a matter of economy and efficientcy actually.
You have just 1 breath, what can you do with one breath?

Macam enjen keretalaa......Kalau 2.0L out put at 180 BHP @ 8000rpm....how can you make it more efficient? you need to increase the RPM.....to increase RPM all the components of the engine need to be balance, air and fuel mix must be at optimum etc....put it plainly....badan kita ni macam enjin laa.....kalau nak high performance kena bikin laa...heh...hope that comparison helps...
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:46 pm

okie dokie...thanks mate.. ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby evo5555 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Tahan napas does not keep you fit.......but to be able to tahan napas for an extended period you need to be fit......so its a matter of you have to do A to achive B.

Macam enjen keretalaa......Kalau 2.0L out put at 180 BHP @ 8000rpm....how can you make it more efficient? you need to increase the RPM.....to increase RPM all the components of the engine need to be balance, air and fuel mix must be at optimum etc....put it plainly....badan kita ni macam enjin laa.....kalau nak high performance kena bikin laa...heh...hope that comparison helps...

Wow cool explanation. But freediving looks hard...CAn we turbocharged our body? ::)
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby anas » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:13 pm

is this the same technique that those opera singers do..? belly breathing-involving belly and diaphragm
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Holding your breath once or twice I assume should be okay. I often do that while diving (it's a no-no in scuba diving) when I am maintaining one depth level, or to maintain a depth level when taking photos or videos. I used to be able to swim 25m underwater horizontally in one breath some 25 years ago and I realise I can only do 20m now..stamina going off.

The thing about holding breath while working underwater (own propulsion, unassisted) is that you burn off the oxygen in your breath fast (from aerobic to anaerobic). And once oxygen has been depleted, the auto reflex in your lungs kick in and you WILL take in a deep breath, and that is not good when done underwater and deep.

Yoga is a good way to learn to control this reflex as pointed out by Mephisto.

I have a friend in Monte Carlo (a friend of Prince Albert) who works at the Monaco Yacht Club who indulges in freediving. He does yoga daily and for long durations of the evenings.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby mephisto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Wow cool explanation. But freediving looks hard...CAn we turbocharged our body? ::)

Actually kan....bolehhh....there is a Force Induction teknik use by freedivers called Carpa or Packing....what they do is the use they mouth to pump in more air into the lungs. so in the end there is a slight compression in the lungs......kalau nak sama kan dengan turbo...yang ni light pressure turbo laa...boost around 0.05-0.15 BAR.......

and freediving is not hard as you think....it depends on what are your objectives.
Last edited by mephisto on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby mephisto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:16 pm

is this the same technique that those opera singers do..? belly breathing-involving belly and diaphragm

Yesss...betulll.....but this diaphragmatic (betul ke eja ni?) breathing is also the same as the one we learn masa scuba diving......on how to breath deep and efficiently...
mephisto

Topic author

Return to General Freediving