MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Dangers of freedive

Dangers of freedive

General discussion on Freediving, Equipment, Stories, Training and Techniques

Dangers of freedive

Post Number:#1  Postby Johnny Ong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 am

Kindly need helps.   :P
I stil dun understand the different between SAMBA & BLACK-OUT.
I'd refer to few videoclip in youtube but stil cant differentiate them. They seems to have same symptoms.
I love freediving  :angel8: and owez practising it when i got a chance to swim in a pool.
After knowing thr r hidden dangers like samba & blackout while doing freedive, better keep an eye on it.  ;)

let me share some clips here
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqgBAlNHNs&feature=related[/youtube]
The explanation of this clip says it's a SAMBA. From the clip, the freediver seems to have "stokes?" at the beginning. And then the eyes of the freedivers "flip over" but manage to recover after few seconds.
So now, the questions:
1. When does a SAMBA happen?
2. If SAMBA happen to a freediver, wat shud v do, a CPR needed, any breathing tool needed?
3. Is thr any chance the freediver might not b recover? So... it's consider drown?

Here the next one
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4cy1Y6NUQE&feature=related[/youtube]
The comments say it's a Black-Out. But the symptoms seems like the same with SAMBA lah... MaCam mane ni? Konfius la [-(
The freediver have the same strokes beginning from 1:12 and then black-out at 1:22? He recover at 1:33?
The questions vil b the same as above.

Here is another one
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWC2_0NbVKA&feature=related[/youtube]
This 1 seems to b SAMBA. The freediver try a 2nd attempt. He began the lap from 3:00 and started to have strokes at 4:30, tat's a SAMBA.
So, the SAMBA happened after an apnea of 1 minute and 30 seconds.
The question:
1. I knw SAMBA happen bcos of the level of oxygen is too low. My record of static apnea is 5min 15seconds but i neva experience SAMBA. Yet, the SAMBA happened to a trained freediver jus right after 1minute and 30seconds of breath-hold. Why?
2. Why the audiences still clap thier hands after he get SAMBA? haha... joke. Perhaps to cheer him up!  :D

One more
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFqrHwzDN0E&feature=related[/youtube]
The question:
1. It's a SAMBA or Black-Out? The freediver didn't show any symptom.
2. How did the rescuers knw he was in dangerous? Is it bcoz the freediver didn't hold ihs breath any longer?
3. What he bite in the mouth? (The yellow piece)
4. Is he recovered? Let's pray for him  :)

A general question here. Does SAMBA & Black-Out caused any brain damage? If u joined PBSM or St.John b4, during ur schooling time, ur instrctor told u tat 4minutes of oxygen-lacked = brain-dead?

Lots of questions here. lol  :D Hope u guys won feel irritating la and really appreciate if u reply.  :D

Best regards,
Johhny... :glasses9:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Ong
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Dangers of freedive

Post Number:#2  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Wow man. you have a lot of questions.

Back to basics.

LMC= Loss of Motor Control= Samba- They call it the samba because your body goes in spasm when O2 levels is too low.
LOC= Loss of Consciousness= black out- Your body shuts down as to reserve the remaining O2 for the brain.

The above does not cause brain damage. you will go into LMC first and then LOC. After LOC you body will fire the diaphgram one last time as to start the breathing cycle again. this last resort is what we look for and to facilate this we must make sure that the victims air ways is clear so he can resume normal breathing.

If he does not recover after this, then we have to perform CPR to the victim and the normal EFR procedure goes into effect.

As for your questions:

1. When does a SAMBA happen? When O2 level reaches critical. Usually you will approach this zone when you have felt a few diaphgramatic contractions and also the feeling of imenent cramping of certain mucles
2. If SAMBA happen to a freediver, wat shud v do, a CPR needed, any breathing tool needed? If samba happens to a diver, we must secure and restrain him as to to avoid the victim injuring himself and keep the airway clear so normal breathing can resume
3. Is thr any chance the freediver might not b recover? So... it's consider drown?There is a good chance the diver will recover if safety procedures are in effect. but if he does not, it can be considered suffocation. drowning happens when the airways are block.

The comments say it's a Black-Out. But the symptoms seems like the same with SAMBA lah... MaCam mane ni? Konfius la
This one he went into LMC and then LOC and then the last kopek (last chance) diaphgram kicks in to resume normal breathing. so he is okay. another day at work.

1. I knw SAMBA happen bcos of the level of oxygen is too low. My record of static apnea is 5min 15seconds but i neva experience SAMBA. Yet, the SAMBA happened to a trained freediver jus right after 1minute and 30seconds of breath-hold. Why?
Different people performs diffrerently, i might get LOC after a 30 second Apnea if the situation is not right. Many factors may contribut to early LMC-elevated heart beat/hyperventilating etc. cannot say lah.
2. Why the audiences still clap thier hands after he get SAMBA? haha... joke. Perhaps to cheer him up! 
must give support maa...give face abit..heh

1. It's a SAMBA or Black-Out? The freediver didn't show any symptom.
Ya lah..suddenly only. but that is samba as you can see that his neck is hyper extended when they reach the surface. if black out he would be limp
2. How did the rescuers knw he was in dangerous? Is it bcoz the freediver didn't hold ihs breath any longer?This discipline is call Free Immersion. Look at his hand before the safety diver grab him, his pace starts to falter and he start loosing control of his hand. very vigilant safety diver i must say.
3. What he bite in the mouth? (The yellow piece)That is his proof tag. they take that tag at the bottom at the target depth as proof that they has reach the target depth. but he should have hang on to the tag in a another way. not bite it. bad practice
4. Is he recovered? Let's pray for him  Hopefully.

Hope you are clear on this. If not go to Kinokuniya and look for a book call The Manual of Freediving by Umberto Pellizarri. you can learn a lot from it. Anyway, thanks man! good questions and good videos. Something that really make us think. Good one.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby Johnny Ong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Okok. Thx Mephisto.
Now i understd!  :)
So the SAMBA come 1st be4 Black-out.
If v drag the freediver out when the SAMBA happened, the freediver might not B.O.
And even a B.O. happened, the body will fire the diaphgram one last time as to start the breathing cycle again. Provided he has air to breath.
What if the B.O. happen underwater? The diaphgram shoot for the las time underwater, the freediver suck in the water and get drown?

I refer to another forum and they say freediving caused cell damaged, hence trigger the aging process. Is it true? Hehe :D I guess when the girls read this, they'll neva go freedive anymore! :D

Mephisto, u said wanna lend me ur freediving books wo, but...  :P
Nvm, im having my exam soon until 2nd of May. Perhaps need to borrow from you after that.
I'll b having my internship in cheras for 2 months start from 5th May, so I guess i'll have lot of time to read on.
Vil go cheras pool for pool dive tml morning 11am.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Ong
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Johnny Ong » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Today went Kinokuniya, but cant find any freediving book thr.
Not much ppl in msia interested in it? hmmpp.... :crybaby2:
Johnny Ong
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Aiseh. forgot laa. just remind me. i have to collect my books from Labouer and then i pass it to you.

cell damage? aging process? the one i heard is that you aged a bit more than usual every time you have an orgasm....heh
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby Johnny Ong » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:09 am

Oh no! 18+SX censor censor :glasses2:
Johnny Ong
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Atuk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:22 am

Mephisto wrote:cell damage? aging process? the one i heard is that you aged a bit more than usual every time you have an orgasm....heh

I vote for orgasm anytime man  :D :D :D
Atuk
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Atuk wrote:
Mephisto wrote:cell damage? aging process? the one i heard is that you aged a bit more than usual every time you have an orgasm....heh

I vote for orgasm anytime man  :D :D :D

ohhhh...now I know why they call you ATUK!!!!...hahaahha
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Sphyrna » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Wow.

But, enjoy watching the Grand Blue!
:icon_rr:
Eyes behind shades.
Sphyrna
Diver
Diver