MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - AIDA Freediver 1 Star

AIDA Freediver 1 Star

General discussion on Freediving, Equipment, Stories, Training and Techniques

AIDA Freediver 1 Star

Post Number:#1  Postby mephisto » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:21 pm

31 December 2006.

Hello people.

Selamat Hari Raya and Happy New Year.

In Koh Lanta right now persuing my certification. Starting my course this Tuesday. It gonna take 2 days to complete the AIDA*. I would like to share this expiriance with you guys so i will give a day to day up date.

Wireless service is expensive here,2O Bath per minit. Tada flat rate or free wireless...somebody have to open a starbuck here.

Hopefully can get pictures or video of this expiriance but that depends on how far my budget stretch.

So happy New Year again and wish me good luck...wish now..wish now..I need all the luck i can get...cuak sial!!!

Target to be achive:

3X 1 minit 15 sec static apnea

25 meters dynamic apnea with fins

10 meters constant weight
Last edited by mephisto on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Re: AIDA Freediver 1 Star

Post Number:#2  Postby mocha » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:48 pm

all the best in your course bro.......
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:39 pm

Mephisto, good luck bro. The closest thing I do to freediving is having sleep apnea.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby ironore » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:32 am

although i donno wat AIDA Freediver 1 Star is...

but hell yea mephisto.. have a darn great time bro.. have fun and best of luck mann...

share it... share it... share ur experience.... sempoi..
ironore

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby bijan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:10 pm

good luck in the course mephisto..pls2 share the experience..will appreciate it very much..
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby nazimkecik » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:22 pm

good luck bro! hope you get through the course safely!  :)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:36 pm

good luck bro, i know u can do it! :)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby mephisto » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:02 pm

2 January 2007.

First day of AIDA  Freediver 1*.

Wow...man...just dont know what to say. Best..Best..

I thought i was the only one doing the course today but apparently masa pick up ade this French chick dalam van tu...aku tanya dia ...pergi diving ke..dia cakap tak..dia kata dia ade course free diving...hah..nampak gaya aku ade buddy laa.

Meet my cikgu..a french guy called Francoise...nampak gaya aku kena cakap perancis laa macam ni...

So today we are going to do the theory and pool session...and we done this dekat satu hotel high class gila babas punya. apperarently the dive shop runs this hotel dive center so automaticly we can use their pool laa...nice!

theory consist of class session discussing:
1.free diving history
2.freediving disiplins
3.equipment.
4.physiology
5.physics
6.accidents
7.breathing

we skip the first 3 today..gonna do it on the boat besok.

i think i wont bore you guys with the class session..but the most memorable think i ask is and got answerd is:
meph: cikgu...kalau reverse block masa free dive ape nak buat?
cikgu:2 options...you want to bust your eardrum or die...simple as that...make your own choice.

Before pool session we did streching and yoga but focus mainly on the part of the body that is related to breathing.....the cikgu praise my breathing technique..heh langsi ni..heh

pool session consist of:
1. Static training
2. Dynamic apnea training
3. Buddy and rescue procedure.

in static mainly we practice how to perform static apnea i.e. position,relaxation,start and stop procedure and signaling method. we did 4 runs today and below are my result:

1st run: 1 minit 5 saat            warm up run
2nd run: 1 minit 30 saat         after reviewing what went wrong on the 1st run
3rd run: 1 minit 35 saat          sejuk sialll (pakai 3mm tapi cloudy day)
4th run: 1 minit 50 saat          full throttel ( surface after 6 breathing contraction or cakap secara melayu saintific = diaphgram tarik mintak napas

And the bloody french chick average out at 2 minits for each run...damn youth..damn non smokers..heh..shes good...

On dynamic we did runs along the pool..the pool is 20 meters in length. both of us did 20 meters with no problem...than came on how to turn. the cikgu ask us to turn so we ask him how...he said let me see how you do it first... i am first..aku pikir cammana nak pusing ni? ingat nak buat standard swimming punya pusing (360 reverse loop) but  i dont like doing that especially with fins... so what did i did? i made a side turn(pusing on the y-axis)..and guees what?....it is correct....cikgu said that is how he does it....but i need to improve and smooth out the technique. the young french girl having difficulties turning...(dengki dengki...biasa laa ..melayu)

In the end we both manage to turn and try to do a lap... in the end the french girl did 40 meter and i did 30 meters.....then cikgu take me to the side  and said aku tak tekan abis....dia nak aku buat another run and tekan abis....then with that encoragement i did 40 meters.

during the runs i buddied the french chick and we  were thought saftey and rescue procedure for diver and buddy during a dynamic run.

It was a fun day...intersting and we learn a lot of things. now confirm why i did this...freedving is a beautiful way to dive....

NB.1. mak aiiik...cikgu aku pakai carbon fibre fins sial....dapat pegang tadi...heh...
    2. cikgu aku cakap aku tak full throttel. he said aku manja kan diri sangat...he ask
        me to push it...yes boss!
    3. tadi aku mintak favor cikgu aku ajar dolphin kick..susah sial...but when you get
        the technique right ..best best....but need to do a lot and lot and lots of practice.
       The french girl first run dah perfect terus.....but cikgu kata perempuan senang
       belajar and buat dolphin kick cause badan dia orang lagi flexible than men.
    4. the french girl namanye geraldine...muda and dia datang ke Koh lanta with her
        parents..muka okay aje (masih muda remaja lagi, ade pimple lagi) body?...i dont
       mind....heh and she really has potential and performance...i give her that..jealous
       jugak laa but it makes me proud to see youth using all their potential...i would like
       to see more Malaysian youth exploting their potential to the max..BUT...BUT benda
       yang aku tak bleh resist is when i ask her ....you are french?...and she answer OUI!
       mak aiii...manja nye dia punya oui..heh.

wokay...besok aku kasi up date lagi...nak gi makan ni ...lapar...

Besok atas kapal...yey...

PS...thanks for the well wishers guys...kau orang memang sahabat.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby mocha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 pm

bro, kalau gua dengar cikgu kate mati or ear drum pecah, gua siap packing ambik first flight out of that place.....  ::) ngeri.... anyway all the best for tmrw.... jgn lupe update!! haha ;D
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby HollowMan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 pm

mephisto ,

good luck bro ...bawak la balik ole2 siam  ;D ;D ;D
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby anas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:18 am

Mephisto:
Glad to know that you are safe and sound. And lagi glad to know that you've got incentive(s) there during your course. heh heh.

BTW, cakap sama Geraldine, sign up lah for MUW membership.. heh heh..
Last edited by anas on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby ironore » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:28 am

mephisto bro, wat a way to start of the new year indeed....   :o

have fun... have fun.. have fun..  :D ;)

keep updating BETTER SO WITH PICTURES LA KALAU TERRER!! kalau terrer lah  :-*...  ::)  

have fun.. have fun... have fun... ;D ;D
ironore

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby LaraCroft » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 am

Yyoo.. My swimming buddy..

I'm soooooo glad you are having such a freakin great time over there. And I wish you all the luck in the world bro. You take care of yourself now. Don't get too distracted by the 'French Chick'. You go go go.. bro :).

Have fun friend.. have fun. See ya back here in one piece. Gosh.. I'm gonna miss you at the pool this weekend.

Cheers!
LaraCroft

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby bijan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:34 pm

mephisto..cant wait for the updates on todays activitieS!
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby najibest » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:39 pm

good luck mephisto
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby Yates » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Oh wow...lama tak check the forum... interesting topics.... All the best mephisto! hey.. the forum text editor boleh insert flash...cool! ;D
Yates

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby mephisto » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:10 pm

3 January 2007.
Destination Koh Haa.
Cantik gila island ni.. it is a cluster of 5 rock island. so you dive around the island..marine live bagoss..cuaca cantik and visibility tak ingat..

Today on the boat we were educated on the history, disiplin and equipment.
The boat is one of the best diving boat i have been on in thailand. but the food so so aje.

After that biasa laa..yOga and streching.

For the excercise we use a rubber dinghie muat 5 orang with two lines, one kat depan, one kat tepi. the line infront ade install satu sled.

First kita orang buat free imersion then no limits with the sled.

Shit man..it is not easy as i thought..selama ni training was kat pool diving 5 meter kat cheras or shah alam so depth and pressure was not an issue sangat. today i was a REALLY big issue.

Our line was tight to a weight at 14 meters for free imersion.
free imersion is where you use only your hands to pull down and up on the line. but for safeTy reasons/budak baru belajar we were ask to put on our fins as backup.

I had 2 problem. the first is air for equalization.
At around 10m i cannot equalize anymore cause i have no air in my mouth left and my lungs dah collapse because of the pressure. so i went up. cikgu tanya ape hal....aku jawap takde angin dah nak equalize...dia cakap that my lungs still got air...it is how to channel the remaining air back to the mouth for equalization. so kita naik atas boat and he tought me a technique call reverse carpa/packing.

Carpa/paking is a technique where you assist your lung pakai mulut as a pump. so carpa/packing is using the mouth to pump more air into the lungs and reverse carpa is the opposite. so we use reverse carpa/packing to pump the remaining air yang degil dalam lungs to the mouth to be use for equalization. try this..exhale completely and shut your mouth tight. no air in your lungs anymore? wrong! Expend your cheeks and the expension of the mouth cavity will create a vacumm to pull the air from the lungs.
So i solve the first problem.

Second problem is could not equalize at 12 meters even thought mulut ade angin for equalize. cikgu was assisting me on the dive and he ask whats the problem. aku cakap cannot equalize.....then he said that he saw my chhecks full of air..i said yes but still cannot equalize. then he said that my eustacian tube was block...may be because aku tak relax or head position salah or simply tak sedar what i am doing...so he ask me to relax first and focus....with that advise the next dive i went to 13meters and the dive after that went to 14 meters and touch the weights at the end of the line. settel...at the surface cikgu cakap jangan risau..this things need practice...dont expect to be terrer in one day.

then we did the no limits/sled dive. i did 3 runs.

First run abourted at 3 meters cause i did not expect the accelartion to be so fast and and ter let go the sled..hampaeh!!!

second run was perfect. turun bawah sampai i gave the signal stop and we inflate the lift bag attach to the sled...we rocketed to the surface in a cloud of bubbles tak ingat punya....best macam roller coster ride..the last time i felt teruja like this was on a jet ski on full power. with this type of ascent rate scuba divers boleh meletup punya ni..scary.. 17 meters no limits.

third run aku push to hard.. went around 17/18/19 meters and i cannot equalize fast enough.....telinga kanan macam nak pecah so i let go the sled and finned to the surface...run was considered aborted... cikgu cakap aku push to hard and panic..true...

then that was it....the rest of the day we spend free diving at the reefs and the caves in Koh Haa.....i saw a group of divers passing by and cikgu went down with his carbon fibre fins doing a dolphin and went deeper than them and lepak lepak...he blew their mind... then the students went down...not deep..but also blew thair mind...heh..langsi jangan tak langsi...heh

On the way back on the boat cikgu give me a nose clip and ask me to practice reverse carpa/packing and equalization..practice for 15 minits and demo kat dia balik..ok he said..i got it right..but i must practice practice practice..i said i go to the pool and he ask me to do this exercise at the bottom of the 5 meter poll until it becomes second nature.

Thats it.

I am a certified AIDA Free Diver 1 *...yey!!!

Am i going to do the 2*? No. I have decided that i am not ready for it yet..

This is because the learning curve is very steep....not in the knowledge and theories...but phsycology and phisiology curve...

My mental is still not strong enough..tengok the big blue kat bawah takut jugak laa..and as usual i did not push where i should push..to tell the thruth...all the dives hari ni is without any lung contactions going down...i can still push at least to the first lung contraction. i am not proud of this..need to work on it more.

The body still not use to it..i am not as relax as i should be and that brings in all the other problems. cikgu cakap ...can you see the improvements you have achive today? with training and more practice dia budget aku boleh buat free immersion 20 meter..heh..with practice and a revise mental..that is what i have to work for..

So hope fully after this i can reduce futher/ stop smoking, yoga lagi.swim lagi. run lagi,.practice lagi and be more religious..then i hopefully i can achive that 20 meter free immersion or more.

Thank you all for the support..as Lara would say..you are a doll!
Last edited by mephisto on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby mephisto » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:33 pm

Lupa nak cakap...as i am not doing my AIDA**..i have extra money so i decided to go free dive with the group....oh i did not mention the group?

well selain aku. geraldine and cikgu....ade dua orang anak protogee cikgu join kita orang..they were our safety freedivers and they were also practicing....dia orang pernah buat trio on the sled to 45 meters for no limits...heh..gampang!!!.

Masa balik tadi aku dengan geraldine and mak dia (mak dia pegi scuba dengan kita orang) naik satu tut tut.. aku borak dengan mak dia.. aku cakap anak dia got potential and she should be proud....then i found out the mother is going diving besok and geraldine will be practicing her freedive besok with the group....so i decided to join.

So this is kira leisure dive laa....TCSS..heh..also will give me a chance to practice and menimba ilmu for free..heh

If anything interesting aku update kao orang later.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby anas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

perghhh.. enjoyable reading i must say.
eh... you missed out the French chick! What happened?
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby mocha » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:35 pm

laaa.... geraldine tu si french chick la....  ;) kite tunggu esok pulak.... leisure dive... hehe
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:06 am

Wah myself salute u after wat u went thru. Btw congrats on ur certification :)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby spazm » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:53 am

congrats Mephisto..:P
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby faceless_diver » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am

Congrats man on ur certificate..!! Bravo everybody..
faceless_diver

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby nazimkecik » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:45 am

Wa pun tumpang bangga dgn lu bro! congrats on your certification! I'm sure there arent that many malaysian free-divers out there! Malaysia Boleh!!!  ;)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby anas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 am

laaa.... geraldine tu si french chick la....  ;) kite tunggu esok pulak.... leisure dive... hehe

Yeah you are right, Mocha.
Not sure why i missed out reading that paragraph... Thanks for pointing it out, it took me some time to figure out what you were trying to say.. hahaha
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby LaraCroft » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:53 pm

Hey buddy..

Well done!! Well done!! Congratulations AIDA Free Diver Mephisto! I'm sooo.. proud of you. This is great news.. And to top that up.. You are still in one piece. When you're home we celebrate.

Psst.. psst.. Any luck with the French chic? :D
LaraCroft

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby Jim » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 pm

well done well done my pren...... next time when u go freediving in local waters, we shall follow u. But wont do freediving laaa. We shall wait for u at the bottom. Kalu tak cukup air in yr lungs, we can provide with air.... hehehe
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby mephisto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 pm

4 January 2006.

Hello semua.

Hari ni kita orang gi diving kat Koh Bida. It is a cluster of rocky island. Dive site cantik but visibility  a bit bad sikit.

Ade tambah sekor lagi dalam team kita orang ni…..a Swedish guy Eric…bukan yang Rec N Tech tuu...ni lain punya….mamat badan lebih gelebeh dari aku tapi dive macam hantu. Borak punya borak baru aku tau dia ni otai free diving. Kat Sweden main under water rugby and under water hockey….

Lupa nak cakap….katak pink..cikgu aku pakai mask sama macam kao…super ochio.

Any way….mamat ni tadi dive pakai fin biasa aje…tapi mask ade modified…strap dia tukar pakai nylon and buat 3 point macam full face mask…snorkel potong setengah….gampang.

Anyway..today aku practice free immersion and no limits lagi..

Today in free immersion takde problem sangat..Cuma nak sampai bawah susah nak equalize..but I got air….i ask cikgu and he took a look at my mask…today I am using the Spetton rather than the Bandit because bandit tuu tak comfortable. Rupanya the force of the mask squeeze was more powerful than the equalization force so dia tarik angin for the mask rather than the ear…

…so then cikgu cakap…. This problem I face is also a problem to extream freedivers…that why they dive without mask and some use underwater contact lens
(custome made, around RM 1000 per pair). Then he ask me to take off my mask and use a nose clip….the next free immersion dive is without mask with a nose clip…in fact…I like it his way…the good thing is I don’t have to use my hand to equalize so I can concentrate on pulling. Disadvantage is that tak nampak laa…at least nampak samar samar sikit and I can see the line….but this is a good thing jugak because it cuts out the visual that is negative(distance,depth etc) …tau tau dah sampai bawah….nak naik atas tak nampak boat ….you just know that there is a boat at the end of the line and start climbing.

Today free immersion to 14 meter was manageable….in fact did 2 perfect runs.

No limits was 3 runs…aku first runs mesti hampeh punya… aborted at 2 meters because legs and fins tak tuck to the back and was providing drag to the sled.

Second run was ok in fact I was controling the brakes for the first time. Left hand on the brakes, right arm wrap around the sled post and pinching the nose to equalize. Did not go deep cause kat 15 meters kene termocline and I panic…stop the sled and deploy the balloon…..cikgu cakap what is the problem? He said from the way I was performing I could have gone deeper….aku cakap cuak laaa cikgu…ketar lutut kene termocline. Dia cakap normal laa….when the environment change people tend to panic sikit..any way it was a legitimate run but tak dalam.

Third run was ok…at the start fumble a bit cause tangan salah position...stop the sled but did not abort and continue on to around 17 meters….did not break yesterdays record..oh well….

Today was a fun day but I did not made many leisure dive…don’t know why but penat… a free dive to 8 meters pun nak naik atas rasa macam seksanye….dah tua kot..

An introduction to the team.

Francoise Gautier- cikgu….pernah wakil free diving team france and Belgium..umur around 28 kot ….for the girls..hensem and macho tapi dah kawin and ade anak perempuan seorang..anak dia cute and bini nye muka typical muka awek france.

Pelle- Swedish…..talk with a heavy Swedish accent….kira DMT / macai to cikgu…in training for the Swedish championship 2007 in October. Tapi banayak merengek dengan cikgu…selalu kene tiau dengan cikgu.

Porthus-Swedish…also training for Swedish championship…muka macam Matt Damon….18 tahun….full of potential.

Geraldine……oui!!...heh…full of potential..15 tawun…..pakai bikini punya bottom macam thongs..heh…flabby but kalau kasi bikin sure high performance punya…the next Audrey Mistre..

Erick…otai….umur tak tau but aku budget dalam early to mid 20s…selamba babi aje buat dolphin kick pakai fins biasa…likes to go deep…stamina tinggi but have a bad habit of diving with snorkel in his mouth….but very friendly.

Then…theres me……aku ade ambik gambar group ni….nanti aku develop photo of this trip and scan and put on the forum.

On the way back cikgu ade kasi advise on training so we can ontinue tranning on our own and report to him…..dia cakap aku balik aku kena buat empty lungs exercise banyak banyak….the way to do it s to dive to 5 meters in the pool with empty lungs and reverse carpa and equalize towards and at the bottom….Lara…..kau kena jadi safety aku kat pool nanti.

Tomorrow ake ade appointment with cikgu to talk about work and also the possibility of opening up an AIDA chapter in Malaysia….anyone interested in free diving?…I will talk about this meeting besok…tunggu yee…
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby evo5555 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:50 am

ah cool write up bro...will await the report and pics especially in Geraldine.kekeke...Anyway yeah shall enlighten more about freediving.  Don know whether we have what it got to take for the freediving(turbo lung) but its good to broaden our knwoledge.  Ive seen a lot of skindivers in Thailand hanging around with me at 20-25m, while im at that depth with breathing apparatus amazed with them hehee....I guess they were like.... har look at those divers!! while we were like, look at those snorkellers...haha
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby ironore » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:52 am

walla wei... bro enjoy reading ur report  :D...
getting more interesting ini topik la..

ade sukan tahan napas dalam air uper yer...  :-?

well done well done... keep it coming bro..
ironore

Topic author

Next

Return to General Freediving