MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#1  Postby irukandji » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:12 pm

I wonder how many of the divers here own a safety sausage a.k.a. surface marker.

Of my diving trips, I've seen many divers with superb top end regs, most advanced BCD, the funkiest fins and mask and the most expensive dive computers, but only once a while I see divers with this simple yet important gear.

Maybe I only dive in Malaysia, and maybe because of the pampered diver culture here, some of the divers I talked to says that 'that thing' is for Dive Masters and Dive Guides only.

I personally think that SMB is a very important thing to have. And not only that, also must know how to deploy it. Wrong deployment of the surface marker will cause entanglement even might break a finger. Especially the spool with long lines.

This is how to deploy a SMB (Dry run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJlyH8Lgf4U#

Underwater DIR method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpoGCzVWZs#

This is how NOT to deploy a SMB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVprwnM4nVs#ws

And when you are good you can try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngCgZjrNfXc#ws

There are a few ways to inflate the SMB, by mouth, bubbles from your second stage or your AAS. Either way works fine. If you are a DIR-ian, blowing a SMB underwater is a requirement.  ;)

Until a dive buddy told me, I didn't know that there is actually meaning for the color of the surface marker. Orange means diver below/decompressing, yellow means HELP. (do clarify if I'm wrong here).

The length and width also play an important role when comes to sausage.  :) In this case the longer and wider, the better.

Cleaning after dive is also an issue for me, some of them have an air trap system which is harder to clean but keep the sausage inflated on surface, some is just an open end (which is good enough for leisure diver, I think).

Well, I just got myself a second SMB, a bigger, longer and with solas reflector one! Got it at a good deal at the dive shop in 1 U (the one upstairs). Maybe it's time for you to check it out too?  ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ocean is Calling, Let's go DIVING!
irukandji
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Topic author
Posts: 345
Topics: 9
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: Starpark
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#2  Postby theevopig » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm

YA is good to have one SMB. Atleast you got surface marker and those boat run over your head. I think SMB also can let boat man to locate where are you. SO is good to have one. I had purchase one going to use it on my coming trip. Cheers........
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 pm
Location: Penang (Nibong Tebal)
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#3  Postby toodus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Guys,

I own a SMB but I'm hopeless at deploying the SMB. Here's a video of me deploying a SMB for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlB8WfZYNI#

1. I foolishly used my main regulator instead of my alternate second stage. Don't laugh k.
2. I put too much air into the SMB causing it to shoot up and the spool knocking onto my mask.
3. I did a "thumbs up" sign instead of an OK sign

The last dive, when I did a backroll, it came off from my strap and didn't realized until I saw another SMB at the bottom of the ocean and I thought "hey somebody lost his/her SMB"...It was mine.

At Seaventures House Reef, I deployed one during safety stop and shot straight up past other divers without me holding it.

Hopefully, I get to be more skillful in deploying one.
Last edited by toodus on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:27 am

have one too.
yellow seems to be a little hard to detect from afar. maybe perhaps the color of the sea is also look yellowish green but it is different when underwater. The yellow seems to be very striking and easy to find.
1st time i learned about color coding SMB.
I prefer orange. Deploying the SMB is still tricky for me until today. I prefer with the purging system.
other than using the SMB while doing the safety stop. I use the SMB to help panic diver on the surface and divers that have problem with safety stop.
Take note before deploying the SMB. Let all air out from your BCD. move away fm any divers below and above you. Divers under you can suddenly lifted you with their bubbles. Divers above you can suddenly get tangled with the line and SMB. Other than diver, you want to avoid jellyfish tangled in your line and smb.
My style is to purge the air into the SMB with only one swift press so i really take my time doing this. i let the SMB go the moment i felt the "sudden" lift. This is how i know my SMB will float nicely and 3/4 full when reach the surface at any given depth i was in.
Last edited by run on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#5  Postby Steven » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:20 am

as irukandji said; the dive culture here is that the DM or guide will do it so why bother. oso, I believe this is not in the basic OW material (correct me if I am wrong) so divers are not taught how to deploy. Lastly, when a diver rent the complete dive gear from DCs this is not part of the gear. All these gives the diver an impression that it is not important ... till I gone through an experience of losing my buddy. The thought of surfacing without a SMB was intimidating and even frightening as I heard the whirling of the propeller blades above me.

now I own one, but still have not deployed as my DM is always doing it.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 159
Topics: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 am

Steven wrote:now I own one, but still have not deployed as my DM is always doing it.


Skip this feeling of knowing the Dm is always there for you and try to be resposible with your life. I have a great teacher who was always nagging me to learn deploy the SMB even when i was relunctant to do so cause i dont want to look stupid in front of many divers but oneday i kick that stupid feeling away and until this day i am greatfull.
Dont wait until something bad happens , only then we want to learn it. It common for divers to buy stuff but never try to fully understand or trying to maximise their gadget capabilities.
Last edited by run on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#7  Postby aqeebz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

I own one & wouldnt leave home without it. Most of the time never deployed it since DM have the honour of deploying his unit prior to safety stops. Deployed mine when a buddy needed to ascend & glad the boatman spotted us & picked us up coz its really far away from the boat to paddle
aqeebz
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#8  Postby vash_h » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 am

i have one, but never used it.. only going to use it when i get seperated from my DM.. wont want a boat crashing into me..
<--www.haroldchia.com-->
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 315
Topics: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:17 pm

colour of the SMB...can anyone confirm whether it makes a diff yellow or red? this company has both colours on one SMB?

http://www.surfacemarker.com/
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 871
Topics: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am
Location: south of the border, not mexico
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 am

read here . A powerpoint slide explanation.
subaqua.ucc.ie/wp-content/uploads/Safe-Use-of-DSMBs-v.1.0.ppt
--> refer to page 8

I think in malaysia whther its yellow or orange , neither the boat man nor divers understand the color code application.
maybe tekkis do and a few other divers but definitely not most.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#11  Postby nanda666 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am

Hi guys.

I use the Surface Marker (Brand name) web deployment system.

It is absolutely brilliant and I've never got taggled up since. You can buy it as a set or, like me, just get the string and attached to your existing marker.

It doesn't cost very much either. I think the deployment video is on youtube or somewhere in this forum too.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/webbingdeploy.png/]Image
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 599
Topics: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#12  Postby decimal86 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm

run wrote:read here . A powerpoint slide explanation.
subaqua.ucc.ie/wp-content/uploads/Safe-Use-of-DSMBs-v.1.0.ppt
--> refer to page 8

I think in malaysia whther its yellow or orange , neither the boat man nor divers understand the color code application.
maybe tekkis do and a few other divers but definitely not most.


sorry bro i clicked on the link but nothing...can post again? thks for the info.

i just found out that longer SMB are useful in swells..so the boatmen can see the thing?
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 871
Topics: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am
Location: south of the border, not mexico
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#13  Postby decimal86 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:15 pm

nanda666 wrote:Hi guys.

I use the Surface Marker (Brand name) web deployment system.

It is absolutely brilliant and I've never got taggled up since. You can buy it as a set or, like me, just get the string and attached to your existing marker.

It doesn't cost very much either. I think the deployment video is on youtube or somewhere in this forum too.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/webbingdeploy.png/]Image



yeah this one is really brilliant, i made one from webbing for bags but shy to post here. also keeps easily when on the boat.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 871
Topics: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am
Location: south of the border, not mexico
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#14  Postby stupidhead » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:14 pm

decimal86 wrote:yeah this one is really brilliant, i made one from webbing for bags but shy to post here. also keeps easily when on the boat.


please kindly share your idea.

the keys for good DSMB are (1) pack small and easily stored when not in use (2) easy to deploy and launch (3) stay inflated

i use string on finger spool which store and deploy fairly well but i don't seem to be able to find on the market a good self-sealing one that launch and stay inflated well. any recommendation?

do not underestimate the usefulness of a dsmb/sausage. it can mean the difference between a bad situation and a disaster. among my usual buddies, dsmb/sausage is a must. it is no fun diving with people who don't take safety seriously. few months ago we had an interesting episode with all experienced, competent divers, all properly equipped. the weather turned bad at the end of a dive and the recovery of all divers took 2 hours. it took a long time with many spotters to find all the sausages in the rough sea from the top of an LOB. if we didn't have dsmb, the result could have been much worse.
stupidhead
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#15  Postby irukandji » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:20 pm

stupidhead wrote:
decimal86 wrote:yeah this one is really brilliant, i made one from webbing for bags but shy to post here. also keeps easily when on the boat.


please kindly share your idea.

the keys for good DSMB are (1) pack small and easily stored when not in use (2) easy to deploy and launch (3) stay inflated

i use string on finger spool which store and deploy fairly well but i don't seem to be able to find on the market a good self-sealing one that launch and stay inflated well. any recommendation?

do not underestimate the usefulness of a dsmb/sausage. it can mean the difference between a bad situation and a disaster. among my usual buddies, dsmb/sausage is a must. it is no fun diving with people who don't take safety seriously. few months ago we had an interesting episode with all experienced, competent divers, all properly equipped. the weather turned bad at the end of a dive and the recovery of all divers took 2 hours. it took a long time with many spotters to find all the sausages in the rough sea from the top of an LOB. if we didn't have dsmb, the result could have been much worse.


Try Globa Scuba at One Utama. They carry the brand Surface Marker and they have a good self sealing SMB. It's longer and wider than normal ones as well.

Hope helps!
The Ocean is Calling, Let's go DIVING!
irukandji
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Topic author
Posts: 345
Topics: 9
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: Starpark
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#16  Postby stupidhead » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:27 pm

irukandji wrote:Try Globa Scuba at One Utama. They carry the brand Surface Marker and they have a good self sealing SMB. It's longer and wider than normal ones as well.


thanks. cheapskate diver might sound like an oxymoron to some but isn't 340 lousy ringgit a bit excessive for a dsmb?
stupidhead
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#17  Postby decimal86 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 am

stupidhead wrote:
irukandji wrote:Try Globa Scuba at One Utama. They carry the brand Surface Marker and they have a good self sealing SMB. It's longer and wider than normal ones as well.


thanks. cheapskate diver might sound like an oxymoron to some but isn't 340 lousy ringgit a bit excessive for a dsmb?


wah so expensive? i bought mine from leisurepro only 19.99 US. hmm next year i go on holiday i organise MO.....

i agree, expensive gear needs a SMB to make a complete picture. ok i post my home-made tether to SMB .

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSMDS.html?&&
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 871
Topics: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am
Location: south of the border, not mexico
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#18  Postby stupidhead » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 pm

decimal86 wrote:wah so expensive? i bought mine from leisurepro only 19.99 US. hmm next year i go on holiday i organise MO.....
i agree, expensive gear needs a SMB to make a complete picture. ok i post my home-made tether to SMB .
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSMDS.html?&&


the one you linked to is not a self-sealing one lah.
i'm using a self-sealing one, no-brand on the tube, yellow, the whole she-bang - self-sealing, oral inflator, relief valve, double stitch sides, weighted bottom. have been using it for years. launched dozens of time. even use as floating tube by kids in swimming pool! but now seems to be leaking a bit, doesn't stay fully inflated shortly after being deployed. so i need a new one. i don't think i paid much more than around 100 ringgit for it. because i'm a cheapskate. i can't even remember where i got mine from... yes, it was that long ago...
stupidhead
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Surface Marker/ Safety Sausage/ SMB. Do you own one?

Post Number:#19  Postby stupidhead » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:09 pm

i found this by google... very similar to the one i have except the brand name - mine just say "diver below"

http://www.divecourses.co.uk/acatalog/Northern_Diver_Delayed_Surface_Marker_Buoy.html

i think 25 GBP is a reasonable price. is something similar available in malaysia now?
stupidhead
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm
Gender: None specified


Return to Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron