MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - SMB

SMB

SMB

Post Number:#1  Postby mnim » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Ya ya ya....me & my smb. Still looking arnd la and found this ---->> http://www.surfacemarker.com/  

Opinions pls  ;)
mnim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: SMB

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Hahahaha...watching the video I thought the model was gonna do what you and Holemaster did at Soyak on that early October 2005 day.

Anyway, I like the SMB. I don't quite like the cord for two reasons:

1) not long enough (although just nice for recreational safety stops), if you start deploying it deeper..maybe you're too engrossed in deploying the SMB you don't notice you've gone below 5.5m..maybe at 9m...it shoots up, it'll drag your hand. You go up...and you're gonna get neckache or headache.

2) if you try not to get yourself dragged up by the SMB's cord, you release it..and if current is strong at the surface, and waves are big, you may have to say bye-bye to it.

Other than that, it's a cool idea. As long as you remember it doesn't self-inflate like your Soyak SMB  ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby LaraCroft » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Ya ya ya....me & my smb. Still looking arnd la and found this ---->> http://www.surfacemarker.com/  

Opinions pls  ;)

Hahaha.. mnim821..

Did you finally find the SMB that will deploy itself???  ;D :D :P
Anyway.. it's good to have one. I'm looking for an ideal one too.

Cheers!
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#4  Postby CK » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:45 pm

I just got a smb.. dont know if it is the 'ideal' one...hehe
do I need to get a reel?

anyway i dont know how to deploy yet  :-/
must learn it during the next pool session. is there any coming soon?
***CK***
CK
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:51 pm

do I need to get a reel?

Aiyah CK. For you, I can create one session for you.

As for reel, does your SMB come by itself or it comes with some lines? If it comes alone, get a finger spool and try it out in the pool
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby aquaholic » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:51 am

mnim 821,

SMB + 15m line + small fishing weight will do the same job and it will be much-much cheaper. Also I think you will curse when trying to lay back (i.e. reset) the cord in a zig-zag fashion (esp when it is wet).

The trick during deployment is to not hold the line but to let it run loose between your thumb and finger (imagine the "ok" sign).
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby mnim » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:13 pm

Hahahaha...watching the video I thought the model was gonna do what you and Holemaster did at Soyak on that early October 2005 day.

Anyway, I like the SMB. I don't quite like the cord for two reasons:

1) not long enough (although just nice for recreational safety stops), if you start deploying it deeper..maybe you're too engrossed in deploying the SMB you don't notice you've gone below 5.5m..maybe at 9m...it shoots up, it'll drag your hand. You go up...and you're gonna get neckache or headache.

2) if you try not to get yourself dragged up by the SMB's cord, you release it..and if current is strong at the surface, and waves are big, you may have to say bye-bye to it.

Other than that, it's a cool idea. As long as you remember it doesn't self-inflate like your Soyak SMB  ;D

Hahaha  ;D ;D ;D. I remembered that. Thanks to the lovely couple 15 meters below that managed to rescue the ill fated smb deployment. 2 years down the road, now my smb launch buddy can deploy his smb with his eyes closed.......hehehe  ;).
mnim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby mnim » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 pm

mnim 821,

SMB + 15m line + small fishing weight will do the same job and it will be much-much cheaper. Also I think you will curse when trying to lay back (i.e. reset) the cord in a zig-zag fashion (esp when it is wet).

The trick during deployment is to not hold the line but to let it run loose between your thumb and finger (imagine the "ok" sign).

Yep. I've a cheapo one that I've been using over the past 2 years. Last month I bought an oceanic psd (via mail from SG) which I thought was similar to HoleMaster's (with a large opening at the end) but when I took delivery of it, it wasnt  >:(. Its a PSD and can only be inflated orally at the surface. My mistake for not doin a through research. Now I'm lookin arnd for another one. Haiya, manyak rugi woo... Anyways, thx for sharing  ;D.
mnim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Hahaha  ;D ;D ;D. I remembered that. Thanks to the lovely couple 15 meters below that managed to rescue the ill fated smb deployment. 2 years down the road, now my smb launch buddy can deploy his smb with his eyes closed.......hehehe  ;).

Which lovely couple was that?

BTW, your SMB buddy can now deploy from inside a swim thru.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby CK » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:29 am

do I need to get a reel?

Aiyah CK. For you, I can create one session for you.

As for reel, does your SMB come by itself or it comes with some lines? If it comes alone, get a finger spool and try it out in the pool

my SMB come with some lines but dont know how long. let me measure first  :P

so if it comes with some line do i need to get a spool/reel?  ---> got my answer from
another topic! thanks !

hehe... thanks in advance for your guidance !
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
***CK***
CK
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby kvnf00 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:10 pm

I just returned from a dive trip in Miri, during safety stop the currents sent me and my buddy about 120m from the boat. Waves were no more than a meter high but the folks on the boat couldnt see us. Tried the whistle but was downwind. Finally the sausage did the trick. If i could, i'd bring 2 and maybe some helium to inflate it. Lesson for me here is: sausage good.
kvnf00
Diver
Diver

Return to Accessories