MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Dive Reels

Dive Reels

Dive Reels

Post Number:#1  Postby putradiver » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:06 pm

What is the features u need to look for a dive reels?  Is it really important to find a good reel? or just a cheap reel will do.  

Reels is an extra gadget that might be useful for a diver, but what it really for?  Deploying SMB/Lift bag? as a reference line?  there is a lot of things u can use ur reels.  Though it looks easy to use it but in actual fact, it's not.  It may even lead to fatal accident if not trainned to use it.  Let open the floor here for discussions on reels.  
putradiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Re: Dive Reels

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:17 pm

I use it for trolling
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby Jim » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:17 am

Have reel & spool. But used spool mainly for deploying smb. My reel? Always in the bag or may carry it for backup,referemce line & such....

like putradiver says, it look easy to use but actualy its not. Once saw a diver shoot up to surface when trying to deploy his smb with a reel.....
Jim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby sheik » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:52 pm

I like this topic--dive reel/spool.

I have this stupid question to ask--how to bloody use this thing properly?? It's really easy to see a demo in the dive shop when the sales show you how to use it. It's probably a little complicated to use it in the pool.

But how to use them when you are alone underwater and the current is strong?

How about we have one session in the pool, perhaps, and learn these skills from fellow members? I am one need to learn also!
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby Spazm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:00 pm

From my limited knowledge of deploying the SMB... here is my take on it..

When we deploy the reels...make sure our back in facing the current..downcurrent..
pull out a short lead to attach to the SMB...and ensure not entanglement before putting air into the SMB...
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#6  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 pm

I have this stupid question to ask--how to bloody use this thing properly?? It's really easy to see a demo in the dive shop when the sales show you how to use it. It's probably a little complicated to use it in the pool.

How about we have one session in the pool, perhaps, and learn these skills from fellow members? I am one need to learn also!

To deploy properly u need practice, practice and practice...even night dive myself also deploy SMB...hahahahahahaha ;D
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Have reel & spool. But used spool mainly for deploying smb. My reel? Always in the bag or may carry it for backup,referemce line & such....

like putradiver says, it look easy to use but actualy its not. Once saw a diver shoot up to surface when trying to deploy his smb with a reel.....

Ppl shooting up is normal if they're still new and not used to it. Myself currently using spool like most of u all. The trick of not being pushed up is to let it go. Eventually the spool will roll over at ur current position and u just grab it. Also applies when deployng in currents, u only need to fin slowly (horizontal) until the spool roll over at ur current depth and u just grab it.
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby aquaholic » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 am

To select a reel. Determine on the length of line you wanna use, then you have to typically decide on two reel types - spool or the traditional reel with crank and lock. (This will depend on your type of diving, using the reel when wearing thick gloves, etc). For general purpose diving, 30m of any type is sufficient.

The first thing you need to do after getting your reel is to remove all the line and check that the line is indeed tied to the spool (I have seen people lose them after dropping an unlocked reel into the abyss). Then you need to wind-up the line carefully (from spool end to spool end and back). You will need to do this every time after using the reel to prevent jamming/line getting tangled.

But if you just simply want a surface marker during safety stops, you don't actually need a reel. You just need SMB + 15m line + fishing weight. Roll up the SMB and wind up the line around it for storage. To deploy, hold the SMB and let the line/weight drop below you. Then fill air into SMB as normal.
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby CK » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks for the info & tips !

To select a reel. Determine on the length of line you wanna use, then you have to typically decide on two reel types - spool or the traditional reel with crank and lock. (This will depend on your type of diving, using the reel when wearing thick gloves, etc). For general purpose diving, 30m of any type is sufficient.

The first thing you need to do after getting your reel is to remove all the line and check that the line is indeed tied to the spool (I have seen people lose them after dropping an unlocked reel into the abyss). Then you need to wind-up the line carefully (from spool end to spool end and back). You will need to do this every time after using the reel to prevent jamming/line getting tangled.

But if you just simply want a surface marker during safety stops, you don't actually need a reel. You just need SMB + 15m line + fishing weight. Roll up the SMB and wind up the line around it for storage. To deploy, hold the SMB and let the line/weight drop below you. Then fill air into SMB as normal.

;)
***CK***
CK
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby putradiver » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:21 pm

Let me know when la bro, we will practice.  The more practice you do the better you'll become.
putradiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby putradiver » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Agreed bro.  It all depends on what you use it for.  As for me, I won't get a cheap reel if I'm going to deploy my lift bag below 30m.  I'll get a trusted reel and make sure the reel and in good condition before I do any dives.  Also I will always practice using it.  Make sure the line always visible with your naked eyes and keep your eues on it and also away from your body when you deploying it.
putradiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:35 am

Ppl shooting up is normal if they're still new and not used to it. Myself currently using spool like most of u all. The trick of not being pushed up is to let it go. Eventually the spool will roll over at ur current position and u just grab it. Also applies when deployng in currents, u only need to fin slowly (horizontal) until the spool roll over at ur current depth and u just grab it.

The other thing to remember is to deploy it downcurrent rather than upcurrent.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Accessories