MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Signal Mirror

Signal Mirror

Re: Signal Mirror

Post Number:#31  Postby hilk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:12 pm

Did you do something today to make the world a better place?
hilk
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#32  Postby Sicko » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#33  Postby SOMBRE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Guys, if you need the dye marker, smb's or the signal mirror...i do retail them. Let me know if anyone needs them.

Diki
Like Chalk and Cheese
SOMBRE
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#34  Postby Sicko » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Guys, if you need the dye marker, smb's or the signal mirror...i do retail them. Let me know if anyone needs them.

Diki

Some details on the products mentioned will be appreciated.
Pictures will be even better.
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#35  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:48 pm

You dive the wreck of the Nichi Asu Maru (Kuantan Wreck) on the 15th lunar day and you have a 5-knot current. As it is a very sunny day, wind has picked up and waves are 3 meters high.  On your way up, you do your safety stop...then the mooring line snaps. The LOB drifts away, and so do you. You deploy your tall SMB, but it is being obscured by the waves. You blow your Dive Alert horn but the wind carries the sound away from the LOB.

6 hours later you are 30 nautical miles away from where you surfaced, and planes and Air Force helos from Kuantan AFB are up there looking for you.  It is now 2pm.  How do you signal the aircraft?

Next time you dive, take along something reflective.

So after reading the scenario above, do you think you'll do it? Maybe Mephisto and Atuk can share their experience..hehehe. 8-)

I always see Snafu deDiver carrying the mirror with him.  :-?
Anyways, what do you guys think of using a die marker? a flare?

die marker application is limited to signalling air craft....have played and done some research on flares....a water proof flare is only rated to around 16 meters and is not SOLAS certified.

my conclusion on this is to get a depth rated cannister and keep your marker and Solas certified flares in it. as per recommended by OMS..that the most practical way i can see for now.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#36  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:01 pm

You dive the wreck of the Nichi Asu Maru (Kuantan Wreck) on the 15th lunar day and you have a 5-knot current. As it is a very sunny day, wind has picked up and waves are 3 meters high.  On your way up, you do your safety stop...then the mooring line snaps. The LOB drifts away, and so do you. You deploy your tall SMB, but it is being obscured by the waves. You blow your Dive Alert horn but the wind carries the sound away from the LOB.

6 hours later you are 30 nautical miles away from where you surfaced, and planes and Air Force helos from Kuantan AFB are up there looking for you.  It is now 2pm.  How do you signal the aircraft?

Next time you dive, take along something reflective.

So after reading the scenario above, do you think you'll do it? Maybe Mephisto and Atuk can share their experience..hehehe. 8-)

the signalling device that was used that fatefull night was a UW torch that i use to signal the boat. something reflective would be impractical. and vis a vis....moral of the story..carry both!

flares are the way to go....to me laa....concluded from expiriance.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Previous

Return to Accessories