MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Signal Mirror

Signal Mirror

Signal Mirror

Post Number:#1  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 am

You dive the wreck of the Nichi Asu Maru (Kuantan Wreck) on the 15th lunar day and you have a 5-knot current. As it is a very sunny day, wind has picked up and waves are 3 meters high.  On your way up, you do your safety stop...then the mooring line snaps. The LOB drifts away, and so do you. You deploy your tall SMB, but it is being obscured by the waves. You blow your Dive Alert horn but the wind carries the sound away from the LOB.

6 hours later you are 30 nautical miles away from where you surfaced, and planes and Air Force helos from Kuantan AFB are up there looking for you.  It is now 2pm.  How do you signal the aircraft?

Next time you dive, take along something reflective.

So after reading the scenario above, do you think you'll do it? Maybe Mephisto and Atuk can share their experience..hehehe. 8-)
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Re: Signal Mirror

Post Number:#2  Postby sheik » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 am

You dive the wreck of the Nichi Asu Maru (Kuantan Wreck) on the 15th lunar day and you have a 5-knot current. As it is a very sunny day, wind has picked up and waves are 3 meters high.  On your way up, you do your safety stop...then the mooring line snaps. The LOB drifts away, and so do you. You deploy your tall SMB, but it is being obscured by the waves. You blow your Dive Alert horn but the wind carries the sound away from the LOB.

6 hours later you are 30 nautical miles away from where you surfaced, and planes and Air Force helos from Kuantan AFB are up there looking for you.  It is now 2pm.  How do you signal the aircraft?

So after reading the scenario above, do you think you'll do it? Maybe Mephisto and Atuk can share their experience..hehehe. 8-)

I always see Snafu deDiver carrying the mirror with him.  :-?
Anyways, what do you guys think of using a die marker? a flare?
Last edited by anas on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby Jim » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:31 am

If current 5knot, i'll be sleeping in my bunk.... or tell the boatman to move eslewhere...
Jim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby ikan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am

Spot on Jim ...  ;D
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby OziDiver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:14 am

I carry diverdel's used blush kit in my BC, small enough comes with a plastic mirror..not used it so far and dont intend to..but i'm with Jim if current 5-knot i wouldn't be doing the wreck either hihihihi  ;D

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
OziDiver
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Spazm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:16 am

If current 5knot, i'll be sleeping in my bunk.... or tell the boatman to move eslewhere...

What if the current picked up during the dive??...start aborting dive??
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 am

If current starts to pick up, i'll abort the dive and do safety stop
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby Jim » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:06 am

If current 5knot, i'll be sleeping in my bunk.... or tell the boatman to move eslewhere...[/quote]

[/quote]

during dive.... i drift with the current maaa..... then look see look see if big boulders around so i can hide behind it. If lucky, there will be no current on the other side of it....
Jim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:44 am

Haha. Exactly.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 am

And drift?
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby Spazm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:05 pm

That is provided u have an anchor line to hold on to rite?..if not..u will be drifting away while doing safety stop...and from what I heard..the Kuantan wreck is rather deep (>30M) so it's a deco dive...longer safety stop and drift even further??..:P
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby dp » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 pm

where can we find a dive mirror?

sudah puas mencari - most of the dive shops i have been to do not stock it.

nak beli from kedai mamak, takut pecah.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#13  Postby Snafu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 pm

I have signal mirror & always carry one with me when I go diving.

Cheap way is to use CD ...... as good & can be free (old DVDs...CDs)

;D
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#14  Postby dp » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm

;D

Sifu,

Good suggestion, the CD... but if we dont want to hang it around our necks ala the hip hop homeys rapping to R Kelly ;), any idea where we can get a signal mirror similar to yours?
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby Spazm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Just raid your GF make-up kit..i'm sure u can find a compact mirror in there..:P
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#16  Postby dp » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Just raid your GF make-up kit..i'm sure u can find a compact mirror in there..:P

those are easily broken la.

Wudnt want a scenario where you reach into the BC pocket only to get ur fingers cut off in the process now, wud we?  ;)
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#17  Postby Spazm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Then can attract more sharks..so we can all see..:P
Last edited by Spazm on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby Jim » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:08 pm

That is provided u have an anchor line to hold on to rite?..if not..u will be drifting away while doing safety stop...and from what I heard..the Kuantan wreck is rather deep (>30M) so it's a deco dive...longer safety stop and drift even further??..:P[/quote]

Kuantan wreck is about 25m only..... The current was strong when i dive there last yr. Manage to stay behind the wreck though....
Jim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:31 pm

That is provided u have an anchor line to hold on to rite?..if not..u will be drifting away while doing safety stop...and from what I heard..the Kuantan wreck is rather deep (>30M) so it's a deco dive...longer safety stop and drift even further??..:P

Kuantan wreck is about 25m only..... The current was strong when i dive there last yr. Manage to stay behind the wreck though....[/quote]

yup provided there is anchor line.
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#20  Postby Snafu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Good suggestion, the CD... but if we dont want to hang it around our necks ala the hip hop homeys rapping to R Kelly ;), any idea where we can get a signal mirror similar to yours?

Old CD ... use sharp cutter & cut it square.

Make a small hole at the corner & put some string through it.... incase if you need to do LONG DECO STOP, you can tie it to the top of your SMB, den deploy it to surface.

My Signal Mirror is from JAPAN.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#21  Postby Ubi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:16 am

Old topic but i just joined  :P. Signal mirrors you can get in camping shops from brands like Coleman. If you're in Singapore there are alot of shops in Peninsula Plaza. Some mirrors even have a red side for use at night.
Ubi
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby Sicko » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:38 pm

;D

I carry a mirror too........on every dive.

But I disagree on the CD. CDs reflectivity cannot equal a mirror.

For comparision, try reflecting your room light using both onto the wall. Even a mirror that is smaller than a CD has a much more brighter spot. And the brighter spot the better your chances are on being found..........
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby Sicko » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Old topic but i just joined  :P. Signal mirrors you can get in camping shops from brands like Coleman. If you're in Singapore there are alot of shops in Peninsula Plaza. Some mirrors even have a red side for use at night.

Can you recommend the shop that sell the mirror with the red side?

Thanks

I'm currently using one ordered from ultimatesurvival.com
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby dp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Ubi & sicko,

thanks for the lead, bros.

will hit the camping stores n chacking out ultimatesurvival.com as i type this... :)
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#25  Postby Ubi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 pm

Can you recommend the shop that sell the mirror with the red side?

Thanks

I'm currently using one ordered from ultimatesurvival.com

I cant remember the name of the shop but its in Peninsular plaza on 3rd or 4th floor iirc. Its owned by this unc and aunty. Sorry not much help. They also sell fox whistles there but kinda exp at sg16. Better to get in beach road. Oh and they carry loose 1/8 inch bungee too.
Ubi
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby Bobo® » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:56 pm

errr.. did i hear coleman..??? i sell.... mirror have to buy the toiletries la.. got mirror inside and its plastic but like mirror... i'm using it put in my bc (only the mirror)  and never break.. its already 5 years...  ;)
Dive Tenggara Adventure [1696725-D] twitter - @divetenggara
Need Seac-Sub, Pelican, Fantasea Line, DAN Insurance, call me www.divetenggara.com :: 019-2121109 :: info@divetenggara.com
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#27  Postby Sicko » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks for the info ubi.......will check it out one of these days.
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby Sicko » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:14 am

Ubi & sicko,

will hit the camping stores n chacking out ultimatesurvival.com as i type this... :)

Hey bro, a normal mirror you get at the mama store will suffice. Cheap & good. A glass mirror will offer better reflection than a plastic one.

I am looking for a bigger one that is at the same time, small enough to fit into my pockets
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby dp » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:13 pm

Ubi & sicko,

Hey bro, a normal mirror you get at the mama store will suffice. Cheap & good. A glass mirror will offer better reflection than a plastic one.

I am looking for a bigger one that is at the same time, small enough to fit into my pockets

i scared the normal mirror break wor....m not exactly the gentlest of ppl  ;D ;D ;D
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby bubble trouble » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Ill always carry my IST strobe light.......is small came with torchlight....Its cool man! ;)
bubble trouble
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Next

Return to Accessories