MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Lift Bags versus Marking Bags

Lift Bags versus Marking Bags

Lift Bags versus Marking Bags

Post Number:#1  Postby AcId » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Was browsing the net when I saw this article. Hope it'll be usefull to those considering to get one.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/liftmarkingbags.shtml
If I have a dollar & U have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea and U have an idea & we swap we r both richer.
AcId
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Lift Bags versus Marking Bags

Post Number:#2  Postby AcId » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Oh yeah. I'm not promoting the brand, just sharing the info only...
If I have a dollar & U have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea and U have an idea & we swap we r both richer.
AcId
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby bijan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:53 pm

AcIt, can u summarise for us, the pros and cons of Lift Bags and Marking Bags? i dun really understand the concept lar
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:08 pm

bijan wrote:AcIt, can u summarise for us, the pros and cons of Lift Bags and Marking Bags? i dun really understand the concept lar

its not a matter of pros and cons bijan...its a matter of application.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby sheik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:41 pm

I have to agree to the review, based on my past experience using liftbag:
"...there are problems with using lift bags as marking devices. Without a load on the lift bag, upon reaching the surface, it often flops over and deflates. If this happens, the bag may actually begin to sink and be rendered useless."

I once borrowed Seademon's liftbag (forgot to bring mine for the trip) and used it as a marker during a deco stop; of course, so there was no load. I was trying to hang on to it, but at the surface, it flopped over and water got in. I was a bit yo-yo while doing that 20-min stop.

I should carry both, a liftbag and smb--like seademon normally does.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#6  Postby Nizaha » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:59 pm

sheik wrote:I have to agree to the review, based on my past experience using liftbag:
"...there are problems with using lift bags as marking devices. Without a load on the lift bag, upon reaching the surface, it often flops over and deflates. If this happens, the bag may actually begin to sink and be rendered useless."

I once borrowed Seademon's liftbag (forgot to bring mine for the trip) and used it as a marker during a deco stop; of course, so there was no load. I was trying to hang on to it, but at the surface, it flopped over and water got in. I was a bit yo-yo while doing that 20-min stop.

Again how much Kg/Lb liftbag do you guys normally carry during the dive. I normally use 25Kg when I go diving. During decos normally I'll deploy the liftbag.  Nice to have marked bouy as well. Lift bag behind my storage pack and marked bouy on my left thigh.Depend on the dives, Steel double tank, extra deco bottle, scooter and etc..I might bring my 50kg lift bag, in case something happen during the dives. !

Most common problem deployment lift bag is NOT ENOUGH AIR INSIDE THE LIFT. Happen to me before, Shit ! Of course you need practice to master the skill.

Safe diving.
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby MACHA » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 pm

was diving with local guide in Komodo...Pak Condo, he uses lift bag as SMB...it all depends on how your diving & skills,he uses it to salvage weight belts dropped by some other foreigner divers diving with the mat salleh LOB...weights are costly there ;)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#8  Postby Nizaha » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:52 am

I use to lift an anchor weight with my poor smb...hahah..pop-up...

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby bijan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:35 am

mephisto wrote:
bijan wrote:AcIt, can u summarise for us, the pros and cons of Lift Bags and Marking Bags? i dun really understand the concept lar

its not a matter of pros and cons bijan...its a matter of application.

thanks for the correction, mephisto

sheik wrote:I have to agree to the review, based on my past experience using liftbag:

a liftbag can be used for marker deployment as well? erm, how visible is it? i only know that its used to lift things up..something new i learnt today, thanks guys
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby AcId » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:29 am

Bijan, as mentioned in the article, a lift bag can still be used as a marker BUT it has its limitations as mentioned in the article too. In summary, it is best to use a Lift Bag as a medium to carry stuff eg mentioned by macha and a SMB used as a marker for visibility concern.

Nihaza also gives a good example of lift bag usage where he use it for decos as in my opinion since lift bags has a wider surface area it is more stable to hang on to it rather than using a SMB.
AcId
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby SuperKingKongĀ® » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 pm

some liftbags... like oms 5' has 55lbs lift capacity... does that mean, those that never mention, will not have lift capacity?
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKongĀ®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Return to Accessories