MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Is the RDP wheel needed today?

Is the RDP wheel needed today?

Is the RDP wheel needed today?

Post Number:#1  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:20 pm

In this age of the dive computer, questions have been asked whether the RDP wheel is now obsolete. This is because at OW level, everyone has already been provided with the dive tables to plan dives, and calculate your NDL.

Quite honestly, I don't see many using the wheel, if at all, because almost everyone today has a DC and are very much dependent on that one equipment. Even DM's rely on DCs.

What more, the wheel can be quite costly: the lowest I was quoted was RM220 and some sell for as much as RM300. In fact, when I was looking to buy the RDP wheel, one Padi five-star dive centre told me to save my money and invest in a DC...  :P

Now I have a DC and dive tables, but not RDP wheel.... [-(
Last edited by Scorpenesub on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: Is the RDP wheel needed today?

Post Number:#2  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:06 pm

If u hv the budget, i personally advice getting the DC for convenience. However u still need to know how to use the Wheel (i know alot of ppl dont know how to use it). This is because in the event ur DC konked out, u still have ur Wheel to rely on.  :icon_rr:
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:22 am

I still use it to plan and to log my dives.

I have a PDC too.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:09 am

Thanks for feedback, Holemaster and SeaDemon.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Quero » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:08 am

I own a wheel, but I rarely use it, except for teaching people how to use it. I plan my dives using the dive planning function on my dive computer, and I carry a timing device and a second depth gauge. I did have a computer fail on me a couple of months ago, but I had a backup comp :-)
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#6  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:23 am

Quero wrote:I own a wheel, but I rarely use it, except for teaching people how to use it. I plan my dives using the dive planning function on my dive computer, and I carry a timing device and a second depth gauge. I did have a computer fail on me a couple of months ago, but I had a backup comp :-)

Hi Quero,

I am glad you are one of the instructors from the new school of thought. As you rightly pointed out, apart from being used in classroom, RDP wheels are hardly used by divers today. I think any diver who pulls out a wheel will probably get sneering remarks like: "Why so old fashion one. Get a DC or RDP computer...." Now there are so many RDP computers around and they are getting cheaper as the years go by.

That said, I am not suggesting the RDP wheel is obsolete, just hardly used.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:36 am

I use the RDP because it tells me my EPG. The PDC doesn't. I use an extra bottom timer and analog depth gauge when I do tech dives. Slate with my deco plans.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:56 pm

i have to admit also that with the advant of dive coms, the use of the wheel is becoming less and less...

but the rational i always qoute is....its like driving a car....you must know how the engine,suspension,chassis,brakes all work together to make the car function...so its the same with dive coms...to understand how it works you must know the rdp,wheel and your decompression theories..then you will fully understand what is you dive come saying to you...
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:56 pm

mephisto wrote:i have to admit also that with the advant of dive coms, the use of the wheel is becoming less and less...
but the rational i always qoute is....its like driving a car....you must know how the engine,suspension,chassis,brakes all work together to make the car function...so its the same with dive coms...to understand how it works you must know the rdp,wheel and your decompression theories..then you will fully understand what is you dive come saying to you...

Using the car driving analogy, does this mean that those who do not learn to use the wheel is like driving car with "kopi-o" lesen?
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 pm

i would say driving a car without the understanding of the transmision concept...heh
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#11  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:07 pm

mephisto wrote:i would say driving a car without the understanding of the transmision concept...heh

On that basis, many Malaysian drivers fail also....they dont even know where the transmission is located when you pop up the bonnet. Many drivers think transmission means the stick...... :D :D :D

And how many car owners actually care to check their transmission oil and do top ups? Like divers, these drivers merely drive to a service station (dive station), and get the mechanic (DMs and instructors) to check and fill the oil to get the car going.  :D :D :D Playing with batu api (flint) here.... :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:13 pm

yup...the way you put it is a fair description of drivers and divers..heh...
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Accessories