MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - In Computer We Trust

In Computer We Trust

In Computer We Trust

Post Number:#1  Postby anas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Day by day, we are pushed towards digital edge. It's electronics that 'control' our lives.
- aircrafts we fly are almost all computerized
- cars we drive all got on-board computer
- banks we keep our money are all electronics
- you are looking at one now too!

We'd like to see how's your attitude towards electronic equipment in your dive excursion.
anas

Topic author

Re: In Computer We Trust

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:49 am

Hmm..my PDC is only as a guide. I still prefer to use the processor in between my ears.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nazimkecik » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:54 am

SeaDemon, how to use the ear popping technique? care to share the math? thanks!  :)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:19 pm

SeaDemon, how to use the ear popping technique? care to share the math? thanks!  :)

As you know, water is 1000 times denser than air, therefore it is quite agood gauge on its own. If you do a nice and slow descent to the bottom, you will notice that your ears pop at certain intervals...generally between 2.6m-3.4m...providing of course your sinuses and nasal passage are clear. So every 'pop' represents around a 3 meter depth added to your descent.

There has been times when I forget to bring my PDC on a dive trip, or when the PDC battery's conked out in the middle of the dive. In the first case, I'll count how many 'pops' to the bottom to know my approximate max depth, then count how many 'pops' on the way up. Having a slate would be helpful.

In the second case, I'd usually know my depth according to the last depth displayed on the PDC before it conked out (the dangers of diving to the PDC's battery limit). Then count the 'pops' on the way up.

In the first case means, I dive to do work (deployment of artificial reefs etc), then go straight up...no multilevel swims and look-arounds.  In the second case, I use this method upon failure of the PDC to ascent to the surface straight away, abandoning my dive especially when I'm diving without a buddy (which happens to be the case most of the time - [highlight]DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE TRAINED TO BE A SELF-SUFFICIENT DIVER[/highlight]).

In the Shah Alam pool, you will have one 'pop' passing thru +-3m as you descend to 5m.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby prob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:57 am

SeaDemon, had discussed with me buddy in our last dive trip, seeing that my depth gauge is marked with 3 meters increment. during one dive, was just looking at the depth gauge during descend an strangely enough each 'pop' followed each marking on the gauge, more or less.

matpung, gua tak kencing lu... :D
prob

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby matpung » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:03 am

SeaDemon, had discussed with me buddy in our last dive trip, seeing that my depth gauge is marked with 3 meters increment. during one dive, was just looking at the depth gauge during descend an strangely enough each 'pop' followed each marking on the gauge, more or less.

Gua caya lu bro..... ;D
matpung

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby nazimkecik » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:06 am

hahaha me too, cool i think i'm going to test it next time around ;D

Gua caya lu bro..... ;D
nazimkecik

Topic author

Return to Dive Computers/Bottom Timer/Gauges