MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Recommendation for dive comps

Recommendation for dive comps

Recommendation for dive comps

Post Number:#1  Postby DiveWhore » Thu May 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello folks,

I am currently using a Suunto D6 for all my diving. On a few recent trips, i noticed that suuntos are more conservative compared to other dive comps (bottom time and no fly time). Eg, on the last day of diving in overseas, with suunto, we were able to do only 3 dives, while others did 4 dives and yet still have enuff no-fly time.

Any suggestions on other brands? Friends of mine suggested Oceanic Geo and the old school Uwatec.......
DiveWhore
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Recommendation for dive comps

Post Number:#2  Postby evo5555 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 pm

DiveWhore wrote:Hello folks,

I am currently using a Suunto D6 for all my diving. On a few recent trips, i noticed that suuntos are more conservative compared to other dive comps (bottom time and no fly time). Eg, on the last day of diving in overseas, with suunto, we were able to do only 3 dives, while others did 4 dives and yet still have enuff no-fly time.

Any suggestions on other brands? Friends of mine suggested Oceanic Geo and the old school Uwatec.......

You can still do 5-6 dives if you want. no one is going to stop you.  ;)

Dive com, provide you guidelines by calculating your dive profile based on different algorithms. Do you know what are they calculating and what these dive comps trying to tell you?

If you dont know, back to basic, open back your book and study your RDP Table. 

Just my 2 cents
Last edited by evo5555 on Thu May 08, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby huhufish » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 am

my instructor once told me the importance of the SIT and the bottom time...and also the safety stop length..
one he once told me the golden rule...no dive 24 hours before fly...that should do the trick..
DC is important for the absolute bottom time and depth...
huhufish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Peter Griffin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 am

suunto DC's are known to be more conservative than any other DC's on the market today (i think it uses RGBM algorithm). Try to look for something that uses algorithm model other than the RGBM-Reduced Gradient Bubble Model. But personally, I would always dive conservatively.
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby Peter Griffin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 am

the old U.S. Divers Matrix is also less conservative than most Suunto, but not to a great extent, the difference is around 3-4 minutes depending on depth (I dived with both the mosquito and US Divers at the same time). it is more than 7 years old already and still working flawlessly.
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby evo5555 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Peter Griffin wrote:the old U.S. Divers Matrix is also less conservative than most Suunto, but not to a great extent, the difference is around 3-4 minutes depending on depth (I dived with both the mosquito and US Divers at the same time). it is more than 7 years old already and still working flawlessly.

wow this is some old school dive com, super brick sized....i have used this before long time ago. Need to press the button upond descending right?else it wont work...hehe..but it has been flooded.  :D
evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Peter Griffin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

evo5555 wrote:

wow this is some old school dive com, super brick sized....i have used this before long time ago. Need to press the button upond descending right?else it wont work...hehe..but it has been flooded.  :D

hahaha..it is very old indeed, yup need to activate it before you submerge. I like the Tissue Loading Bar graph, very easy to fathom, and the handy ascend indicator as well.

Back to the topic, to the thread owner, I think u should look into Mares DC, a puck DC, similar the picture I have here. It's a new model as well. CRessi eddy is not a bad choice at all. Ive got a friend using that, very slim lined.
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby evo5555 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Whatever DC doesnt matter...they serve a purpose, to guide you....I am using Oceanic Geo and Mares M1. I love Oceanic Geo because they are less conservative and i can stay at bottom longer compared to my Mares or Suunto.. :D  :D

for further information you can ask Syed K.A about what DC to choose.. :D  :D  :D
evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Return to Dive Computers/Bottom Timer/Gauges