MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Suunto Mosquito problem - help anyone?

Suunto Mosquito problem - help anyone?

Suunto Mosquito problem - help anyone?

Post Number:#1  Postby AyahLang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:43 pm

[-( [-(
Hi all,

My Mosquito does not log dives anymore. Even if the memory bank is full, as I understand it, it's suppose to recycle old log. Does anybody else with Mosquito has this problem? Is there a way to 'factory-reset' the thing?

Any suggestions? Any recommendations as to whom I can send it to quote for effective but cheap-cheap repair/servicing?

For 5 years, it took care of me. Never failed me. Worked fine. And, please don't advice me to get new D6, or D9, (or the new D4), or Oceanic Geo, or Mares whatever. When I korek my tabung last night, only heavy with dust...

Tq.

masdiver
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Suunto Mosquito problem - help anyone?

Post Number:#2  Postby I-NSC » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:50 pm

Why not contact Finland (Suunto Headquarters) and see if they can assist?

Since warranty is over (more than 2 years) you can ask them to check by shipping it to them.

http://suunto.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/suunto.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=EWXpiYRi

Hope this helps.
www.i-nsc.net
www.divebooks.net
I-NSC
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby AyahLang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 pm

I already engage their help desk, and they recommended getting it to an agent. I'm just trying my luck to see if there is a simpler solution. I've gotten a couple of PMs with suggestions, so I got something to try for now. But thanks so much for the suggestion, anyway.
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby ikan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 pm

The local agent for Suunto Dive Computer in Malaysia is A&L ... Their office is in Sect 14 PJ ... u can try them.
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby I-NSC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 am

Hope it goes well for you. Was it a generic reply? Did you mentioned that it was 5 y.o.?

Coz warranty is usually 2 years and the agent may/may not want to handle the case for you.
But if the agent don't warranty it, then it is back to Finland I guess.

Cheers and best of luck to resolve it soon.
www.i-nsc.net
www.divebooks.net
I-NSC
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby AyahLang » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I managed to contact someone who has serviced Suunto dive comp. The likely cause of the problem is potentially on the circuit board itself. Replacement of that module will cost close to 50~60% of the current best offer price. And therein, lies the conclusion.......  :crybaby2: :sad10:

Reason for failure? One can never really tell for sure. But I have a strong suspicion that my 3rd party pc-connector was the culprit. There may have been a slight variation of voltage flow to-from the pc that 'burned' some memory-related component, causing it not able to record.

Lesson learned: be too cheap skate, pay for it later.....
Second lesson: buy ori... (with some exception, of course......  :D :D)

The dive-comp is now as good as any dive comp, except without logged memories. Have to manually transfer dive data/profile at every end of dive. I wonder how much would one want to pay for this? ;) ;)

Anyway, thank you all for all the input and feedback..
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi masdiver,

That sounds like one of the factors that could have caused your problem but no worries as we are expecting our next batch of Mosquito's any day now.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#8  Postby AyahLang » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Instead of Mosquito, how about D4? Are you bringing in D4? What the retail price like? I heard D4 is the 'replacement' for Mosquito..
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm

I have just confirmed that the Mosquito DC will not be discontinued yet as the D4's are not expected to be in our market region until March of 2008, AT THE EARLIEST and is expected to be fairly pricey.

We will be doing a promotion for the Mosquito DC as soon as stocks arrive in the next day or two and this "promo" will be very attractive indeed - rest assured.

We are also expanding our inventory with some new (to Malaysia) products so keep your eyes open for this in the near future.

Cheers.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#10  Postby derwin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 am

Wanna share my problemo too. Got a Suunto mozzie for a few months and has used it for 2 dive trips. On my 3rd trip before Christmas 07, my Mozzie statred logging dives even before my 1st dive. Yes, it was logging dives on land and din't stop logging until it max out.
I hope someone can offer a comment about the situation. I am contemplating not waiting the few month for the repair and just get a new one...
derwin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby bijan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 am

derwin wrote:Wanna share my problemo too. Got a Suunto mozzie for a few months and has used it for 2 dive trips. On my 3rd trip before Christmas 07, my Mozzie statred logging dives even before my 1st dive. Yes, it was logging dives on land and din't stop logging until it max out.
I hope someone can offer a comment about the situation. I am contemplating not waiting the few month for the repair and just get a new one...

wah..it was logging even when its not wet..on land oso can deco..hehe
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby Snafu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 am

derwin wrote:Wanna share my problemo too. Got a Suunto mozzie for a few months and has used it for 2 dive trips. On my 3rd trip before Christmas 07, my Mozzie statred logging dives even before my 1st dive. Yes, it was logging dives on land and din't stop logging until it max out.

Could be the wet sensor problem...have it sent for service.

Do share with us once u confirm the problem.

Thanks.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#13  Postby derwin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:29 am

wah..it was logging even when its not wet..on land oso can deco..hehe
[/quote]

Yah man, according to my mozzie, I mati long time ago alrdy...hehe

Will try to get feedback about the problem from the service center but that would take a few months cos it is at Finland...
derwin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby CK » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:18 pm

derwin wrote:wah..it was logging even when its not wet..on land oso can deco..hehe

Will try to get feedback about the problem from the service center but that would take a few months cos it is at Finland...
[/quote]

I got the same problem like you. I send it to A&L & they forward to Finland.
In the end they replace me with a new one as mine was still under warranty.They didnt explain why that happen but just said it cannot be repaired
***CK***
CK
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby ikan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 am

CK wrote:
derwin wrote:wah..it was logging even when its not wet..on land oso can deco..hehe

I got the same problem like you. I send it to A&L & they forward to Finland.
In the end they replace me with a new one as mine was still under warranty.They didnt explain why that happen but just said it cannot be repaired
[/quote]

That is how it usually is ... Nobody is authorised by Suunto to tinker with the circuit board or sensor on the dive com .. Any malfunction with those it shall be sent back to Finland for investigation and repair

I would strongly suggest u send it back to either the dealer you brought it from or to A&L direct ...
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#16  Postby Leafy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am

My Suunto Stinger is also acting weird and now I'm not using it anymore until I get it fixed by Suunto.

I'm wondering now, would we able to get reduction of charges if we send them together (2 or more faulty Suuntos) for electronic service in Finland? I know freight charges are by weight, but it's still cheaper to send a few comps in one box then individually.
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby ikan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:33 am

Yusmar wrote:My Suunto Stinger is also acting weird and now I'm not using it anymore until I get it fixed by Suunto.

I'm wondering now, would we able to get reduction of charges if we send them together (2 or more faulty Suuntos) for electronic service in Finland? I know freight charges are by weight, but it's still cheaper to send a few comps in one box then individually.

I am not sure whether they accepted individual shipment ..

As inter-border transaction is quite sensitive in this region, USUALLY they only accept such claims from the authorised dealer of the particular region. I know for sure that they will check where it is bought and when and if it does not tally with their consignment, they have the right to refuse the warranty claims.
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#18  Postby derwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:50 am

Yup. Thanks for the advice guys.

Returned my Mozzie to the dealer yesterday to have it shipped to Finland for repair. So for now, I'll be manual again this March when I explore the Perhentian waters.
derwin
Diver
Diver

Return to Dive Computers/Bottom Timer/Gauges