MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Suunto D4i reviews from MUWians ?

Suunto D4i reviews from MUWians ?

Suunto D4i reviews from MUWians ?

Post Number:#1  Postby jakesean » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Hello!

I'm planning to get a dive com soon, now looking at the Suunto D4i.

I've been researching on the D4i, and it appears that a lot of MUWs are pro Suunto.

Some say that they've used the Geo 2.0 previously and now D4i, and preferred the D4i.
Some choose the Mares Matrix over the D4i, but cant really find the reasons behind that - maybe its because of the user-replaceable battery and the compass feature on the Matrix? ..
Some current owners of the Matrix says that they'll choose the D4i over the Matrix anytime, because the D4i is more reliable?

since its gonna be my first dive com, I've got lots of questions, and surely there are lots of other things that i haven't thought of..

so I'd appreciate if I could get some comments from all of you D4i owners..

Thanks!!

-------

or should i wait for ADEX 2013 / MIDE 2013 and hopefully some offers like this comes in??

[img width=600 height=484]http://diveidc.com/assets/suunto-free-transmitter.jpg[/img]
Last edited by jakesean on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author
Topics: 6

Re: Suunto D4i reviews from MUWians ?

Post Number:#2  Postby toodus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Jake,

Choose the one that looks good on you. See below :

[img width=600 height=449]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qs4dByE87u4/UO2FFnbzoyI/AAAAAAAAIMI/_8626Hlr1B0/s679/P1160849.JPG[/img]

[img width=600 height=449]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0thjXVLmoOE/UO2FUyGZFOI/AAAAAAAAIMU/46PNOy-WWYk/s679/P1150983.JPG[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Fxnx9ugpwNs/UO2EWIX0S1I/AAAAAAAAIL4/jUJRMdXd6Ow/s640/P1130568.JPG[/img]
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 am

Is that really u in all those pictures Toodus? So macho looking.. wow.. hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby gavstang » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 am

You should marry a mirror...you're obviously infatuated with yourself..
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#5  Postby Dee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am

gavstang wrote:You should marry a mirror...you're obviously infatuated with yourself..

hahaha......i like this comment. It made me smile.

Toodus, no offence ya!
diving is awesome!
Dee
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Selling price D4i price = RM1700+(rough figure with usb cable)
Mide/Adex Offer can go as low as  = RM1400+ (rough figure with usb cable)
Transmitter = RM800 (rough figure)

So if you can get D4i (transmitter+usb cable) less than RM2k. Grab it but i doubt you can get FOC transmitter here in ASIA.

having a transmitter is cool when you handle the tank with care but if you are planning to have the operator staff handle it for you than it is a waste.
Remember how the boatman bring up the tank from the water to the boat. They hold it by tank valve. So imagine your transmitter together in the picture and then a few bumps on the
wood/steel/rocks/ur head.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#7  Postby raffidi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Toodus....I pick all cause they all have the nice dive comp in them!!!  :evil:
Anyway, will we be seeing you on the 18th?
raffidi
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 4

Post Number:#8  Postby mamakpenang » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

jakesean,
if you wanna wear it on daily basis it is nice to have suunto D4i or D6i, while for diving also nice except if you always dive 30m to 40m such as wreck dive or deep dive in the future, u should look into uwatec/scubapro dc or other than suunto, coz if u wear suunto dc u might need to do pit stop & safety stop a little longer than uwatec/scubapro dc or even oceanic geo dc......well suunto dc quite conservative especially for repetitive dive.

me, i am still uwatec aladin fan......

toodus,
if look can kill hehe....u look hencem...... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby geraldyne » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm

gavstang: your comment is so spot on!

raffidi: such a cheerleader... hahahaha

And it's good that I spot this topic, cause I am also looking for my 1st dive comp... but its relatively expensive at the moment...

Hopefully when the MIDE happening later this year, I would save enough money to get one really nice....
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#10  Postby jakesean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 pm

looking around i found out the D4i's price currently ranges from RM1650 to RM1900+- including the USB cable..

not sure whether i should wait for MIDE/ADEX.. but i had the thought that if its purchased at/during ADEX, and if shit happens later on then im not too sure whether our local dive shops in KL would entertain warranty claims.. and for MIDE, maybe i'll save up some $$ and get something else during then.. maybe jetfins!! now using el-cheapo full foot atomic fins, gets the job done..

does anyone know how much will it cost to get the batteries replaced?

while reading through some forums (or maybe MUW? cant remember), some had issues with the D4i, one of them not being able to turn Dive Mode off, and logs a dive whenever you jump into the pool/water..

however there's a new firmware that was released by Suunto in November that fixes this problem, and apparently it will cost owners RM30 to get the new firmware installed on the D4i, which i think is not too bad..
http://www.suunto.com/us/en/about-suunto/news/company-news/new-features-for-suunto-d-series-dive-computers
Last edited by jakesean on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby gchew » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Actually, the most common problem with the Suunto D4i and D6i is the strap, it breaks easily.  :angry:

You'll need to inspect it often for wear and tear.
gchew
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm

jakesean. I bought mine in phuket and if have any claim i submit to sealantis in PJ. The warranty is via online.
battery replacement = RM150.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby jakesean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:48 pm

gchew wrote:Actually, the most common problem with the Suunto D4i and D6i is the strap, it breaks easily.  :angry:

You'll need to inspect it often for wear and tear.

i see .. nice knowing.. wont be a problem if it happens within the 1 year warranty, otherwise i assume it'll be about RM150-200 to get a replacement? can probably get cheaper ones from ebay i hope..
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby jakesean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 pm

run wrote:jakesean. I bought mine in phuket and if have any claim i submit to sealantis in PJ. The warranty is via online.
battery replacement = RM150.

hmm RM150, a little pricey, but i think once the 4th or 5th year comes, it will be time for a new dive com.. muahhaha.. then i guess this one isnt really a big deal.. thanks for info!
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby weugene » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm

hey jake, not sure if this helps you but i just bought a suunto d6i all black from global scuba last week. They're doing a 0% instalment easy payment promo with rhb and public bank.

Was also considering the d4i white which works out to be rm 150 per month for 12 months but went with d6i instead. The other colours are cheaper.

fyi, i chose the d6i over the d4i mostly due to the sake of the scratchproof glass and i don't see myself upgrading my dive comp in future.
Last edited by weugene on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#16  Postby jakesean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

weugene wrote:hey jake, not sure if this helps you but i just bought a suunto d6i all black from global scuba last week. They're doing a 0% instalment easy payment promo with rhb and public bank.

Was also considering the d4i white which works out to be rm 150 per month for 12 months but went with d6i instead. The other colours are cheaper.

fyi, i chose the d6i over the d4i mostly due to the sake of the scratchproof glass and i don't see myself upgrading my dive comp in future.

yeah planning to get from them also.. uncle boo has been very helpful.. im using UOB so EPP applies to any purchase as long as its above 1k, 2k, or whatever.. planning to pay installments for a year, 150/mth is affordable..

also on their catalogue, it seems that they're giving out free tusa dive torches for purchase above 2k? did you get any?

btw, D4i also comes with mineral glass display right? = scratchproof ? i think i saw an unboxing clip, and they provide 2 pcs of scratchproof film with the D4i.. so i guess its mineral glass display, but not scratchproof?  :grin:
Last edited by jakesean on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby weugene » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

jakesean wrote:
weugene wrote:hey jake, not sure if this helps you but i just bought a suunto d6i all black from global scuba last week. They're doing a 0% instalment easy payment promo with rhb and public bank.

yeah planning to get from them also.. uncle boo has been very helpful.. im using UOB so EPP applies to any purchase as long as its above 1k, 2k, or whatever.. planning to pay installments for a year, 150/mth is affordable..

also on their catalogue, it seems that they're giving out free tusa dive torches for purchase above 2k? did you get any?

btw, D4i also comes with mineral glass display right? = scratchproof ? i think i saw an unboxing clip, and they provide 2 pcs of scratchproof film with the D4i.. so i guess its mineral glass display, but not scratchproof?  :grin:

haha ya, i bought from Boo also. Asked about the torch, it's for the BCDs only.

Unfortunately, the d4i is not scratchproof so gotta be abit careful especially when you are entering/exiting the boat and gearing up.  Would have gotten the d4i if it was :sad:

anyway, material for scratchproof = sapphire crystal.

p/s: white d4i is super sexy lol
Last edited by weugene on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby jakesean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 pm

haiya.. what is this.. over already ah?? then better wait for MIDE/ADEX already..  :cry: :cry:
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby weugene » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

jakesean wrote:haiya.. what is this.. over already ah?? then better wait for MIDE/ADEX already..  :cry: :cry:

eh still got la :p
just no free torch cos it was for BCD only :P
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby run » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

huuummm u know right d6i have gas switching compare to d4i? and then it has compass.
if u dont plan to further ur diving to the next level might as well just stick to d4i.
The price different is a lot. The money u save can gives u the extra budget to get other diving gears.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby geraldyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 pm

from what i'm reading here, seem like getting a D6 is the way to go...

But i want to know more about the transmitter? Such as do we need one? and what the use of having one?
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby jakesean » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm

well for me, D6i wont serve me any purpose for now.. i'd rather use the extra $$ and get my reg set later on..

FYI i havent bought my reg yet, just the BCD, a cheap ass one that works fantastic!
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby gslay_86 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi i am selling d6i with steel braclet for only rm 2600 it brand new if u want just pm me...
gslay_86
Diver
Diver

Topics: 8

Post Number:#24  Postby gavstang » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

If you are not doing tech diving, the D4i is more than enough.  D6i has gas switching and compass but is still not a tech watch.  Why pay so much more?  A good compass is less than RM300.  The transmitter is another way to part you from your money.  It doesnt take much effort to monitor your gauge.
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#25  Postby geraldyne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

being a sucker for bling bling...D6 has more to offer... and getting a slightly better DC just in case i might wanna do the tech dive... no harm in keeping my option open
furthermore diving its not a cheap sport...in any way money needs to be spent so why not spend it on something i like!

gslay_86: i saw...but dun have the budget at the moment.... if not i have already PM you... but am asking a fren of mine who is also looking... will keep you posted if anything....
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby run » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

the transmitter is like an auto version compare to the manual version which is the gauge.
By adding the transmitter to your reg it will record your tank pressure bar & your SAC. Example the transmitter will emit info at your DC ,CURRENT TANK PRESSURE
IS 170 BAR AND THE REMAINING AIR TIME IS 50 MINUTES.

This is another way of simplifying your diving gears by omitting the manual gauge from usage but then again having a backup is much more safer.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby jakesean » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

ya thats my plan.. a redundant spg.. and remaining air estimation will be awesome too..
jakesean
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby gchew » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:38 pm

geraldyne wrote:being a S****R for bling bling...D6 has more to offer... and getting a slightly better DC just in case i might wanna do the tech dive... no harm in keeping my option open
furthermore diving its not a cheap sport...in any way money needs to be spent so why not spend it on something i like!

gslay_86: i saw...but dun have the budget at the moment.... if not i have already PM you... but am asking a fren of mine who is also looking... will keep you posted if anything....

If you are looking for bling bling ...you might want to consider Scubapro Meridian :) No transmitter though.
gchew
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby run » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 pm

yeah i agree meridian is very sleek.

jakesean the transmitter battery do need replacement too so you have to add that into ur commitment :)
Just like any hp or wireless electronic gear they consume battery fast
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby gchew » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 pm

run wrote:yeah i agree meridian is very sleek.

jakesean the transmitter battery do need replacement too so you have to add that into ur commitment :)
Just like any hp or wireless electronic gear they consume battery fast

On the transmitter...I heard that if water gets into the 1st stage...there goes the transmitter. Is this true?
gchew
Diver
Diver

Next

Return to Dive Computers/Bottom Timer/Gauges