MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Frog Indigo vs Halcyon Eclipse

Frog Indigo vs Halcyon Eclipse

Frog Indigo vs Halcyon Eclipse

Post Number:#1  Postby shutterprincess » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi there,

Just as I have set my mind to getting my first BCD, a wing BCD, immediately the next set of dilemma sets in. To get the Frog or the Halcyon? My concern now is that is it worth the extra bucks for the H brand? And in terms of design I definitely think the Frog one is way cooler. But will it last and dunno if it performs as well as the H? Any thoughts on this anyone?

Cheers!
Christine aka shutterprincess
An avid diver + tennis enthusiast
shutterprincess
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Frog Indigo vs Halcyon Eclipse

Post Number:#2  Postby Nizaha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:23 am

I never heard about Frog Indigo. If I do, it's might be just typical stuff. I not sure how good they're. I can't compare them between Halcyon,
  I rather go something well know as Halcyon product. little pricey but you can't go wrong with this product. good customer service and available in your area.

Safe Diving
Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby irukandji » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 pm

I think both of the mentioned BCD are of the same design. Frog is from South Africa and Halcyon is from US I guess. Both of the bladder is Doughnut design, same lift (Halcyon Eclipse and Frog Indigo 30lb). And both require STA. Maybe there's some difference in the build quality, but generally I'd say they are the same. Both very expensive also.

A link to Frog Indigo System http://www.frog.fm/

I'd go for the Frog, makes me look outstanding when everybody uses Halcyon. Hehehehe!
But anyway, any bladder that can inflate and deflate is a good BCD.
The Ocean is Calling, Let's go DIVING!
irukandji
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 9

Post Number:#4  Postby Bluemoon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:36 pm

irukanji wrote:I think both of the mentioned BCD are of the same design. Frog is from South Africa and Halcyon is from US I guess. Both of the bladder is Doughnut design, same lift (Halcyon Eclipse and Frog Indigo 30lb). And both require STA. Maybe there's some difference in the build quality, but generally I'd say they are the same. Both very expensive also.

I'd go for the Frog, makes me look outstanding when everybody uses Halcyon. Hehehehe!

Good buoyancy is depends on the diver...not the BCD...=P..!
Bluemoon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#5  Postby meg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 pm

Oxycheq is definitely better than halcyon.... heheheheh....

frog definitely cooler than halcyon
meg
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Nizaha » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:13 am

irukanji wrote:I think both of the mentioned BCD are of the same design. Frog is from South Africa and Halcyon is from US I guess. Both of the bladder is Doughnut design, same lift (Halcyon Eclipse and Frog Indigo 30lb). And both require STA. Maybe there's some difference in the build quality, but generally I'd say they are the same. Both very expensive also.

I own Halcyon Eclipse with SS backplate. Doesn;t required me to have STA for single setup.

Safe Diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby dp » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow. seems like you are shopping for dive gear big time. :)

First few things you should consider before buying the backplates tho - be it Halcyon, frog, oxyheq, DSS, hollis, Dive Rite, OMS etc etc (do i get commission for mentioning these brands?  B-)) - They function very differently from the traditional Jacket style BCDs (there have been many discussions on this here in the forum), especially on the surface.

Do more research about backplates and the jacket style BCDs. Weigh out the advantages and disadvantages of both (looking good and cool in it does not count, yah ;)).

However, if your mind is already fixated on getting the BP systems, do find out how they work on the surface and underwater at the pool. Coz like what i mentioned before, they are different from the traditional jacket style BCDs. Nothing is more disasterous when a diver goes into the water not knowing how their equipment works.

I cant say much on the durability of both brands u mentioned, as i have not had any experience in using neither. But what i can say is that it boils down to how well you maintain your equipment - i have been using my set up for the past 5 years and apart from a few frays on the harness and the discolouration of the bladder, it still works fine.

IMO, a Stainless Steel backplate with a 30lb lift bladder system isnt suitable for you. Try looking for one with an aluminium BP (lighter) with a bladder (wings) that gives you a minimum of 17lb or 18lb lift.

Unless you are 5'9 and weigh 80kgs lah...

;)
Last edited by dp on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby shutterprincess » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanx all for the suggestions, I've decided on the H! And went to get it just now together with my MK25/S600 reg with pink purge cap! Hehehe.. Now the debate is on. Splitfins or jetfins? If splitfins, should I go for the Apollo Bio fin, Atomic Splits, or the Scubapro Twin Jet splits? Headache!!
Christine aka shutterprincess
An avid diver + tennis enthusiast
shutterprincess
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to BCDs