MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Why Not Jacket BCD?

Why Not Jacket BCD?

Why Not Jacket BCD?

Post Number:#1  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 am

Hahaha this is a spin off from the other topic. Most of the divers that i know in this forum own Oxycheq BCD (back inflate), I was contemplating initially why i should purchase another BCD when my current jacket bc does it's job well. Let's discuss!  :)

I believe the pros of a jacket are the following:

1)Enough lift to keep you upright and above the surface of the water, really helps when performing rescue breathing.
2)Some jacket BC can convert to back boucancy just by a pull of a cord that will distribute air to the back of the bladder.
3)By far cheaper than any backplate/softpack backinflate BCs
4)This is where jacket bc shines..Big pockets and D rings!! streamlined.
5)Integrated weight pockets

cons:
1) it aint a fashion statement :)
2) slightly heavier since it's got more features (pockets etc)
3)
4)
nazimkecik

Topic author

Re: Why Not Jacket BCD?

Post Number:#2  Postby GOD » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:41 am

IMO jacket or Harness system both have pros & cons.

I dont use jacket coz of the type of diving I do require me to use different set-up which jacket type can be expensive to configure. Is hard to configure jacket BC's when diving twin's & rebreather.

Conditions of the dives also change the set-up, buying jacket BC's that can do all are very expensive.

Not all the goodies ofered by jacket BC's are used by me, infact some of it are troublesome...ie the pockets, weighting system, bladder...etc.

I need something that can be added or removed as an when I need too ... jacket BC's does not give me this option.

When underwater, I like the streamline & not having 3 skin around my body ... free movement with less restrictions. Since when jacket BC's are streamline with big pockets but hard to open zips position  :P

Traveling lights is important too, jacket BC's tends to be a lot heavier to travel with .... my set-up are light so I could carry other important things for my diving with it.

Rescue Breathing .... I dont have problem at all doing it, infact is easier to do it when I have less things around my body  :D

In the end of the day, is just a tool .... hahahahahahahaahaa

So No Jacket BC's for me.

;D
Last edited by GOD on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:37 pm

with bp wing, i find it more streamlined uw. Oso did not have the feeling of rolling right & left....

Like Snafu said, u can easily interchange the wings for different type of diving.... Less expensive & easily done.
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby spazm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Didn't have the chance to try any back inflated BC yet..:)..who wana sponsor one for me to review??.. ::):)

Only thing I like about my jacket type BCD..is the pockets...easy storage of stuffs..
less chances of dropping them into the abyss..:P
Last edited by Spazm on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby bubble » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Dont know how to dive - Tak apa , GAYA mesti ada.

back inflate - looks GAYA
bubble

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 am

There is nothing wrong with the jacket BCD. For recreational purpose, it's okay. However, jacket BCDs tend to have only one utilisation purpose as opposed to BP Wing. BP wings are modular and multipurpose.  I agree with Snafu that to use a jacket BCD that can do the kind of diving that I and some others in here do means having to fork out tonnes of money for it, and most of the time I'll be paying for the brand name.

If I'm diving to see Nemos play hide and seek amongst the stinging anemone tentacles, then a jacket BCD would be okay. But to penetrate the bridge of Sugar Wreck, or certain caverns of Labas, BP wing is the best way to go if you want to be alive at the end of the dive.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby mephisto » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 pm

hhehh...have to agree with all the above...jacket or back plate..or horse shoe for that matter...

but to me the most important...like i like Caterham cars and Lotus..LIGHTWEIGHT...the less the better....

thinking of diving the old James Bond style...ABS back pack and harness only...no bladder...anyone have tried this system? comment sikit...thanks.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:46 am

i don't think a jacket-style is heavier than a wing with bp :P
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#9  Postby Scorpenesub » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Wing inflators are super light and therefore better for air travellers... :D

Haven't had to pay extra to fly AirAsia as yet.... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:32 pm

scorpenesub wrote:Wing inflators are super light and therefore better for air travellers... :D

really? did u bring along ur bp? r u using a S/S bp or alu bp? full bp or travel bp? ... i have to unload a lot of things... lucky my bro-in-law took me to the airport. he helped me to take it back :(
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#11  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:31 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
scorpenesub wrote:Wing inflators are super light and therefore better for air travellers... :D

really? did u bring along ur bp? r u using a S/S bp or alu bp? full bp or travel bp? ... i have to unload a lot of things... lucky my bro-in-law took me to the airport. he helped me to take it back :(

Why do you seem to think that a wing BCD must come with backplate? I don't use backplate. And my setup is far lighter than a jacket BCD.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby aquaholic » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:52 pm

SD,
Not eveyone have broad shoulders like yours...hahaha
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby zimm » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:12 pm

i've used both bc......both hv their purposes.......by the end of the day, its the person who is wearing it.....to me comfort is also important....(tats why i've changed to back inflate bc :icon_tongue:)
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#14  Postby Nizaha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey gangs.

I'm still using BCd when I teaching Open water class. For fun dives with buddies,I dive with backplate with Hogarthian setup. ( continues single webbing). I feel more easy to donor especially with drysuit diving.

Benefits with backplate/ Wing
. Provides ballast uniformly across a wider surface area.
. Secure harness provides a simple restraint system with attachment points for securing equipment.
. More benefit distribution of weight.
. Low profile
. Select the proper wing is creating a trim, efficient and balanced platform

Safe diving

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 am

SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

Why do you seem to think that a wing BCD must come with backplate? I don't use backplate. And my setup is far lighter than a jacket BCD.

ok... i'm sure that wing are not able to function by itself.
but softharness slipped through my mind...

sorry... i apologize. i'm stupid.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#16  Postby Ery » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:27 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

ok... i'm sure that wing are not able to function by itself.
but softharness slipped through my mind...

sorry... i apologize. i'm stupid.

bro...there's no such thing as stupid question or stupid answer.. no worries k. ure kewl!  ;)
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 am

Davy Jones wrote:bro...there's no such thing as stupid question or stupid answer.. no worries k. ure kewl!  ;)

thanks for the motivation... :) good to have such members around :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#18  Postby dp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:

My set up - S/S bp, wings, harness, fins, wetsuit & masks - is a lot lighter than what i had before, which was a SeaQuest Black Diamond (anyone interested to take it off my hands, do pm me.. heheh) back inflated.

Check in Air Asia, ngam ngam 15kg. And that is inclusive of clothes - which isnt much to begin with - as I hand carry my regs and stuff for my point n shoot in another bag. 

Now, if ur set up is like SD's (no S/S bp) it will be even lighter still.

Another advantage me thinks about backplates is that it is also lighter to lug around when damp (after ur dives) - much due to the simple, no-nonsense set up. Furthermore, i dont have a brother-in-law hanging around me to take home my access baggage when i check in. ;)

But dang, I miss having the jacket BCDs big pockets that will allow u to put even the kitchen sink when u go diving :). My thigh pocket is currently the official carrier of my WA lens.

My 2 p.s.i worth.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby Ozfish » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:48 pm

whatever type of bcd any diver uses, i would think the primary consideration should be what is most comfortable for you in the water...coz to save that extra kg for airasia or to keep up with the trend is not a good practice at all when you life is in question. Have you seen any avid golfer bring just the prized putter on his golf trip or a surfer leaves his beach without his board??

don't get me wrong here cause whichever bcd you decide there is no right or wrong style...consider the primary

regards from..

40kg baggage diver....hehehehe

safe diving happy living.... :hippy2:
Ozfish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby Scorpenesub » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi Ozfish,

Waa you really lug everything at 40kgs. With that kind of weight might as well fly first class, bro.... :D :D :D. Me just elcheapo traveller le..... that too thanks to AirAsia: Now everyone can fly... :D :D :D  But I do travel with my fav wing BC, so safety still primary concern to me....

Cheers, bro.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#21  Postby Ery » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:07 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:bro...there's no such thing as stupid question or stupid answer.. no worries k. ure kewl!  ;)

thanks for the motivation... :) good to have such members around :)

what are friends for, right...?  ;)
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby EMar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 pm

it's not an option for me. i couldnt find any jacket bcd for my size. i always have to pull the jacket down and adjust it frequently when i dive cos the smallest size is still too big and can fit like 1.5 times my body size..not comfortable at all.i still tried out the wing bcd though before buying it..and decided to have one cos it feels so comfortable on me.. :)
EMar
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to BCDs