MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - harness question on BP... pls advice..

harness question on BP... pls advice..

harness question on BP... pls advice..

Post Number:#1  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 am

dear guys :)

errr... am i still welcome here? :P

just one question... the harness on any of those BP, in my case, i'm using oxycheq ss bp.... the "slots" or holes" that used to thread the harness is quite sharp.

the "sharp slots/holes" is "eating" away the harness or the webbing...  hmm.. u guys know what i'm trying to say? :P

anyway to prevent chafing on the harness? i think soon i will have to change my harness....the 2 edges on the webbing near those slots/holes on the BP ..  the wear is very obvious... almost like 30% of them gone... i can see it will "break" if i don't change it :P

any advice? thanks :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: harness question on BP... pls advice..

Post Number:#2  Postby poisson » Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 am

Hey SKK..Masa Lama Tak Nampak!!! (long time no see)  :laughing11:

Yes, I'm experiencing the same problem, but still not that obvious like yours..

One solution that I could think and actually saw implemented that there are other BP harness system that comes with this plastic stopper that fits between the slots. Though the plastic might deteriorate in time but it should fit the purpose and prolong the harness life.

I still can't remember the brand of the BP harness system though  [-(
I liked things better when I didn't understand them..
poisson
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 27, 2008 8:13 am

:D

well, 30% is a bit over-exaggerating :P

but it's like about 10-20%.

i think i've seen those in... err.. i think DSS plates.. they have those so called "cover" to cover up those edges in the slots.

as for the harness... if u can get hold of the dive rite basic harness set.... (comes with webbing, d-rings, buckle, and anti-chafing materials) ... those anti chafing materials.... something like those bicycle tube.. wrap around the webbing.. thread in through the slot in order to protect the webbing.. meterials.. i think is some sort of nylon.

i'm asking.. and yet i'm giving it out the answer :P ...

well, my purpose is.. any DIY way to prevent? .. i know Malaysia Boleh :P so, seeking some advice here :P

i don't want to buy a DSS plate or a new set of DR harness just to get the anti-chafing material....

or.. is it normal to change the whole webbing from time to time and treat it as a wear and tear stuff?  ;)

... like minyak hitam... normally have to change it once every 3 months... but i've seen some..tiga tahun sekali :P
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby AcId » Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 am

Bro, use the used bicycle tube will do lah cheap and good. plus also you might wanna buy a slider to prevent it from abrasion.

If I have a dollar & U have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea and U have an idea & we swap we r both richer.
AcId
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Tue May 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Chaffing of the harness by the slots are a common problem.

OMS goes around it by making the slots smoother and DSS does it by putting the plastic/delrin/whatever around the slots.

I would prefer OMS approach. much simpler.

so i would recommend go see MR Black and Mr Decker for some manly power tools to smooth out the edges on those slots.

PS. i am using Halcyon and the slits has eaten about 20% of the harness after 2 years. not bad. dont have time to DIY so when the harness i am using comes down to about 50%, change laa. wear and tear maa....not worth the headache.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby Nizaha » Tue May 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Interesting topic.... I never have any problem with my harness.. I just check last night with one of my Harness ( 5 years). I didn't see any damage. But I use the SS Weightbelt Keeper to stop the harness from sliding back and foward through the holes.. I think that might help. Also I check the Alu Backplate more sharp around the edge the holes but not with SS backplate..

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Snafu » Tue May 27, 2008 9:12 pm

If u good with port & polish ... U can use de-burr kit to remove all the sharp edge.

If not...use sand paper, it takes longer time but u will be able to remove the sharp edge.

As far as I am concern, U should take it up to the supplier so they can fix it or replace it...for FREE.

No excuse for having problem as such with the so call technology available..CNC...Plasma cutting...Laser Cutting...etc.

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 28, 2008 5:28 am

Syed K. A. wrote:As far as I am concern, U should take it up to the supplier so they can fix it or replace it...for FREE.

No excuse for having problem as such with the so call technology available..CNC...Plasma cutting...Laser Cutting...etc.

i think they will surely make it my problem and i'll end up buying a new webbing from them ...  [-( .. u know how m'sia shops operating :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby mocha » Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:As far as I am concern, U should take it up to the supplier so they can fix it or replace it...for FREE.

i think they will surely make it my problem and i'll end up buying a new webbing from them ...  [-( .. u know how m'sia shops operating :P

i hope the store manager is reading this...hahaha.... ;) B-) B-)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 am

PHEW! I am happy to say that it wasn't purchased from Scuba Dynamics :angel11:
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#11  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 28, 2008 9:11 am

errr.. sorry  [-(

I take back what i've said  :P It's just my assumption  :D

well, i don't want to point finger on who's fault is this... if i really manage to get a new webbing, 6 months down the road... it will end up in the similar situation. so, i have to find the solution to prevent this from occuring :)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Snafu » Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:errr.. sorry   [-(

I take back what i've said  :P It's just my assumption  :D

well, i don't want to point finger on who's fault is this... if i really manage to get a new webbing, 6 months down the road... it will end up in the similar situation. so, i have to find the solution to prevent this from occuring :)

Solution...send it back to the supplier & let them find the solution for you.

The supplier need to know about all this so they can fix the problem, is for their own good.

PLEASE put it up in MUW the respond you get from the supplier so we will know if they have AFTER SALES SERVICE.

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#13  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu May 29, 2008 7:16 am

emailed to the bos at the supplier... very fast reply... sent them mail at about 11pm, got it about 1-2am ... looks like the bos there also sleep late  :D

Leonard,

Your harness is too lose.  Try putting a keeper behind the plate to keep
the harness from moving or tighten it up.

Best regards,

(Bos at OxyCheq) <- not the real name
OxyCheq
3528 Russell Road
Marianna FL  32446
web: www.oxycheq.com

Mail Sent
Dear (Bos at OxyCheq) <- not the real name,

I've purchased a Medium Stainless Stell Back Plate for about 6 months
from
one of your authorised dealer. The chafing of the harness near the
shoulder and hip slots are really bad, it's about 20% of the edges are
gone. That means the slot edges are quite sharp. any work around on
this?
or is that a defect on the back plate?

Appreciate your responce, thanks.

Regs,
Leonard
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Thu May 29, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu May 29, 2008 11:07 am

That's why la I use a Softpac and not backplate  :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby Snafu » Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 pm

SKK is ur harness loose?

If not, let him know & send the things back.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#16  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm

hmm... don't know.. when someone give suggestion, i try lah.. if still the same thing, then i bising again lah :P

anyway,, i think it's quite tight already ... meaning i have followed this website.. the setup of harness

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/equipment/
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu May 29, 2008 12:51 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:That's why la I use a Softpac and not backplate  :D :D :D :D :D

don't tell me u dont use a backplate at all  :D

i don't have enough money to buy both backplate and a soft plate :D .. poor diver i am ;)
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:That's why la I use a Softpac and not backplate  :D :D :D :D :D

don't tell me u dont use a backplate at all  :D

i don't have enough money to buy both backplate and a soft plate :D .. poor diver i am ;)

Nope...no plates.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby Nizaha » Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 am

Hahha... Also you have to know how's tight harness how it's feel, sometimes photo can't tell either.. So Go diving and practice, practice..

SKK when you wanna come here( Lake Ontario) and do some diving with me?? Lake getting warm now..!! I will loan you one drysuit to use.
how about that.

I didn't know DIR diver have big head.. :D :D :D

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 am

Nizaha wrote:
Hahha... Also you have to know how's tight harness how it's feel, sometimes photo can't tell either.. So Go diving and practice, practice..

SKK when you wanna come here( Lake Ontario) and do some diving with me?? Lake getting warm now..!! I will loan you one drysuit to use.
how about that.

Safe diving
Zaha

great zaha :)

may i know ur address? probably will plan a trip either in jun or aug ...hehehee.. july going to NC?

.. where is the place u'll be diving? :P

btw.. who dir diver got big head? :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby Nizaha » Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Nizaha wrote:
Hahha... Also you have to know how's tight the harness and how it's feel, sometimes photo can't tell either.. So Go diving and practice, practice..

how about that.

Safe diving
Zaha

may i know ur address? probably will plan a trip either in jun or aug ...hehehee.. july going to NC?

btw.. who dir diver got big head? :P The guy wearing glasses with drysuit

I'll pm you my address..Between June until July I should be fine to dive with you, I'll bring you to few lakes around here Like Lake Simcoe, Humber Bay or Brockville. June 21/22 and 23 I'll be in Kingston, Lake Ontario.. The Grave Yard.. Aug 14-17th I'll be in Kingston again for my fundies.

I have house in Toronto, You''re very welcome to staying at my place. I have few spare room for guest. for sure..

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am

Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Nizaha wrote:
Hahha... Also you have to know how's tight the harness and how it's feel, sometimes photo can't tell either.. So Go diving and practice, practice..

how about that.

Safe diving
Zaha

I'll pm you my address..Between June until July I should be fine to dive with you, I'll bring you to few lakes around here Like Lake Simcoe, Humber Bay or Brockville. June 21/22 and 23 I'll be in Kingston, Lake Ontario.. The Grave Yard.. Aug 14-17th I'll be in Kingston again for my fundies.

I have house in Toronto, You''re very welcome to staying at my place. I have few spare room for guest. for sure..

Safe diving
Zaha

thanks zaha :) thanks for the warm welcome :) got ur pm.

i'll let u know when i plan to come :) just did a search in google.. if driving.. it will take 9 hours  :sad5: btw.. any airports if i'll to fly there? :P oh ya.. btw... malaysian go there.. need visa ah? :P what if i'm driving there? :P thanks for the info.

hmm... i would like to dive the lake ontario also :P is it far from ur place?

i like wrecks ...  :D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby Nizaha » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

how about that.

Safe diving
Zaha

Safe diving
Zaha

thanks zaha :) thanks for the warm welcome :) got ur pm.

i'll let u know when i plan to come :) just did a search in google.. if driving.. it will take 9 hours  :sad5: btw.. any airports if i'll to fly there? :P oh ya.. btw... malaysian go there.. need visa ah? :P what if i'm driving there? :P thanks for the info.

hmm... i would like to dive the lake ontario also :P is it far from ur place?

i like wrecks ...  :D

I bought the house really close to the lake.. 2 minute walk to Lake Ontario but no access to the dive site since I live on top of the cliff of Lake Ontario, but to go to the dive sites.. Only take my 25 min by car( don't worries about that,) I'll make sure you've a blast dives here.

Don't drive,,,just fly Bro... 2 hours only, I'll pick you up at the airport. Doesn't really matter if you came with car, lorry ,beca or you fly your own jet, you still need the VISA [-( [-(..  again I'm not an Immigration officer, I assume you have green card right..!! ASk Canadian immigration office 1st. Apply now and lets get wet!!!

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby Divejohor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Yo Bro ..
just get yourself a dive rite trans pack ,super confi and can last you ages.
Divejohor
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#25  Postby tigershue » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

how about that.

Safe diving
Zaha

Safe diving
Zaha

Wah, I also wanna visit there la... Never been to Canada.
tigershue
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Return to BCDs