MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Why use wing BCD????

Why use wing BCD????

Why use wing BCD????

Post Number:#1  Postby nanda666 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi guys!!  B-)

Most "experienced" or "skilled" diver tend to say that they rarely use the BCD to control their bouyancy and use their "skilled" breathing techniques. (I do agree that I do this too..most of the time.)

They even preach this to the newbies but then these same "gurus" have long discussions on jacket or wing BCDs. (If I'm not wrong, these wing BCDs cost $$$$$)

I have a "cheap" jacket BCD and have been asked this question, "Why not wing BCD ah?" many times.

My answer has always been, "It's cheap and I use it mostly on the surface so wing or jacket doesn't matter."

So the question is.......what's the big deal with this wing BCD since we rarely use it underwater anyway??  [-( [-(
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 5

Re: Why use wing BCD????

Post Number:#2  Postby dp » Wed May 21, 2008 3:01 pm

nanda666,

would it be safe to assume that this wing bcds you are referring to are the back plate (some would say DIR) systems?

There are also jacket styled BCDS with back inflated wings available in the market.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby DecLim » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

I'd tried both BC b4, for me, the jacket type was easy to control the bouyancy underwater, but it limit my movement also, especially taking underwater photo. After that I try wing BC, my movement was freed but it took me sometime to adjust the bouyancy n weight, but I like it very much.

I thk it's quite personal for choosing which type of BC, as long as u feel comfortable when wearing and diving  :D :D
Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Eat ~ Dive ~ Sleep
Work Hard for Dive, Dive hard for Fun & Memory !!
DecLim
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Wed May 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I'll never use backplate unless i'm on twins...... Got 2 reasons for this.

1. Its a bitch when i'm on the surface, thanks to the extra weight on the lower half of my body  ;) :P
2. I like to keep stuff in the jacket pocket e.g. weights....

I'm always negative with 2 extra weights when i dive 1 on each pocket. Though the back bladder is nice to compensate but the above 2 reasons are good enough for me to reject it.

On the usage part, i use it both u/water and on the surface.
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed May 21, 2008 4:17 pm

I used to wear jackets...but they did not fit/secure me well. I was into climbing those days and wondered why cant they make a harness similar to a climbing harness. then did some research and found the backplate system. been diving them since and wont turn back.

Also want to try and dive without a BCD. ABS backplate and harness only, old school style...but this setup has limited applications.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Wed May 21, 2008 4:21 pm

nanda666 wrote:
So the question is.......what's the big deal with this wing BCD since we rarely use it underwater anyway??  [-( [-(

i dun quite get this part?? why dun u use your BC underwater?? i thought its on your body all the time and u spend most of your time underwater? or when u say 'use' u are referring to inflating?? 
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby nanda666 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:27 pm

mocha wrote:
nanda666 wrote:

i dun quite get this part?? why dun u use your BC underwater?? i thought its on your body all the time and u spend most of your time underwater? or when u say 'use' u are referring to inflating?? 

Yes.....I meant USING the Bouyancy Control Device to control my bouyancy....
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed May 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh. I get you.

Freedom man freedom...free from all the contraints, bells and wistle...if you want to try minimalist diving, try a backplate.

The BC function is almost secondary...heh
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby nanda666 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Mephisto the Heretic wrote:Oh. I get you.

Freedom man freedom...free from all the contraints, bells and wistle...if you want to try minimalist diving, try a backplate.

Ahh....now i see..... :notworthy:

Thanks dude!!

And I guess it's much lighter??
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Labouer » Wed May 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Why some rich people sometimes like to drive a 2 seater sports car, rather than the luxurious Merc S class or 7 series beemer?

I'm just tested the wings and I like it very much as it's more comfortable for me.
Jacket has it's own advantages, eg. got pockets, can put things inside it. Maybe can be heat resistance too.
Last edited by Labouer on Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Labouer
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby bijan » Wed May 21, 2008 5:16 pm

comes down to self preferences..

have u tried wing BCD in the water before nanda666?
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby Labouer » Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm

:smileinbox:
Last edited by Labouer on Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Labouer
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 pm

nanda666 wrote:
Mephisto the Heretic wrote:Oh. I get you.

Ahh....now i see..... :notworthy:

Thanks dude!!

And I guess it's much lighter??

Overall, yes, especially if you go for the 18 pound wing and Aluminium set up.

Mine is on the heavy side on a backplate set up cause using stainless steel backplate. but still it is still lighter then some jacket bcd in the market.

weight is not an issue to me. fast decent, no weights to carry (the backplate is 2kg) and the weight is distributed evenly on my back.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#14  Postby gcg » Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Well theoretically, since the bcd most important function is when at surface, the choice is of a personal one. However, I find the harness going in between the legs a little worrisome. Is there a problem doing a giant stride? I dont think it is so much more lighter than the jacket type.
gcg
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby mocha » Wed May 21, 2008 6:07 pm

i find my BC is equally important on surface and UW....i do use it a lot for buoyancy control UW and uses it as floatation device on surface... it is important for it to be streamlined and provide a lot of freedom to move coz i spend most of my dive UW..... on surface?? few minutes only...at most 10 minutes...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#16  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed May 21, 2008 6:17 pm

gcg wrote:Well theoretically, since the bcd most important function is when at surface, the choice is of a personal one. However, I find the harness going in between the legs a little worrisome. Is there a problem doing a giant stride? I dont think it is so much more lighter than the jacket type.

hehh..the G String..it may seems daunting but i does not pose a problem, even when making a giant stride. if your fitting is perfect, making a giant stride 1 meter of the surface from a jetty will be no problem. for actual weight comparison, please go to a shop and compare the BCDS.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#17  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm

i would agree on the streamline function of a backplate. but i wouldn't advocate it for teaching

mocha wrote:i find my BC is equally important on surface and UW....i do use it a lot for buoyancy control UW and uses it as floatation device on surface... it is important for it to be streamlined and provide a lot of freedom to move coz i spend most of my dive UW..... on surface?? few minutes only...at most 10 minutes...

mocha,
i think that its a lot easier to compensate for the difference of the 2, u/water rather than on the surface.
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#18  Postby Cripple Diver » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Just started diving with a jacket styled back inflated BCD (Mares Icon)       

Imho, I have to say the freedom of movement is more pronounced especially when taking UW photos's.Bouyancy control is much easier too.Also, another plus point is the ease of travelling when packed (looks like a small satchel!).

The negative point?At the moment I can't think of anything major ....... except for a newbie (like me  ;)  ), one should make the necessary weight adjustments & checks before going on a major dive when you are so used to the 'normal' jacket styled BCD's.I was lucky to have a helpful DM to give me constructive reccomendations.As for surface bouyancy, imho, it wasn't fully tested, as when I did my dives with the mentioned BCD, the surface was calm to just occasional surf.However, in those conditions it worked very well.

All in all, I love my new BCD  :)
:iroc:  Fly High Dive Deep
Cripple Diver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby dp » Wed May 21, 2008 7:00 pm

my reason for using the back plates+harness+wings is very similar to mephisto - normal jackets just would not fit my 52" (chest) & 34" (waist) frame back then.

(another advantage with the harness is that you can keep configuring the fit should your statistics be reversed ie - waist 54" and chest 34")

Other than being more streamlined underwater, the system has also given me more freedom to manouevre to any position i want when taking photos.

gcg : doing the giant stride with the crotch strap shud not pose much of a problem - your family jewels are tough nuts to crack. :)
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#20  Postby evo5555 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 pm

good topic discussed here... I am also using al cheapo jacket style BCD when i dive. i was thinking why those people opt for wing bcd??(eg:deep Blue, maybe looks macho?? :D   :D   :D )...

I have tried some wing bcd when i dive, such as Halycon, or Oxycheq, and i find its manuevarability its very good compared to jacket bcd, and movement is very free since the pocket in your regular jacket bcd has gone missing, as you are only using harness. Furthermore, the drag in the wing is much less, because if you notice wing bcd user, the wing fill float upwards and wrap around your tanks. 

But the real reason for me, if i were to use it, is "darkside". If you do dive in tight space, such as "holes", caves or wreck penetration, your things inside ur jacket bcd will limit your movement and the tight space will have contact with your bcd. If you use wing, it is reduced to minimal stage and the wing is almost like your second skin, since what is wrapping around you is not bcd, but only harness and the wing is flaoting upwards while you dive. 

Furthermore i realise the "g-String" in wing bcd has its purpose. When i dive in tight space, the tank hit the upper wall but i am already at the lowest point of the "hole". Somebody took a picture of me, and i know that when i am on low air, the tank floats together with jacket bcd. The tank floats up and pulled my bcd updwards without me realising it.  So, with double tank strap and "g-string" it keeps the tank sticking to your body, as if its your skin.

Just my 2 cents...
Last edited by evo5555 on Wed May 21, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby evo5555 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Mephisto the Heretic wrote:
gcg wrote:Well theoretically, since the bcd most important function is when at surface, the choice is of a personal one. However, I find the harness going in between the legs a little worrisome. Is there a problem doing a giant stride? I dont think it is so much more lighter than the jacket type.

hehh..the G String..it may seems daunting but i does not pose a problem, even when making a giant stride. if your fitting is perfect, making a giant stride 1 meter of the surface from a jetty will be no problem. for actual weight comparison, please go to a shop and compare the BCDS.

It feels funny when i see people looking for the "g string" before they decent...I only know one female diver using wing, and it looks funny when she looks for the "g string" before she jumps into the water... :D  :D  :D
evo5555
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby MT_Tanc » Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 pm

in my very the humble opinion, sukati diorang la nak pakai ape pun!!!(up to them la what ever they want to wear), as long as it comfortable,safe and the very most important,they didnt ask we to buy for them ;)
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby Bobo┬« » Wed May 21, 2008 9:41 pm

MT_Tanc wrote:in my very the humble opinion, sukati diorang la nak pakai ape pun!!!(up to them la what ever they want to wear), as long as it comfortable,safe and the very most important,they didnt ask we to buy for them ;)

hehehe me too. im an al-cheapo diver, I buy cheap things...
Dive Tenggara Adventure [1696725-D] twitter - @divetenggara
Need Seac-Sub, Pelican, Fantasea Line, DAN Insurance, call me www.divetenggara.com :: 019-2121109 :: info@divetenggara.com
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#24  Postby Sicko » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 am

There are wing type BCD that are cheaper than jacket type BCD!!!!

Sometimes it's cheaper buying individual components to setup your wing BCD......it all depends on which brand  :)
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby nanda666 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:48 am

For instructors, I guess the pockets will of course come in handy in a jacket BCD and we don't really need freedom for the camera, etc. to use the Wing type.

The "wing" BCDs seem to have a "cool" factor attached to it so we can't rule that out.  B-) B-)

But what about advice to new divers? I do recall that it was quite easy for the DM to drop an additional weight into their jacket BCD pockets during the safety stop when they are floating away but if they are wearing "wing" type, how? Some other method to attach additional weight?

During the rescue diver training, a friend of mine had the "wing" type BCD and this caused some problems during the equipment removal/rescue breathing exercise. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry to ask all these questions here but my "wing" BCD buddies look soooo cool that I (al cheapo BCD) shy to ask la..... :P :P lol
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby LaraCroft » Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 am

Answering to you question Nanda > Why use wing BCD????

Me personally was a jacket BCD user. And I never had problem with it. Loved it. UNTIL it went 'kaput' on me one day. Its been too long and time to go.. R.I.P.

I did some research on the next BCD to buy and I ended up with a wing BCD. I love my 'wing BCD' very much :thumbsup:. (1) Its light especially when mine is the soft harness type without backplate. (2) To my surprise my bouyancy improved as the air in my 18 pounder wing BCD are distributed evenly and fast during the inflating and deflating of air. (3) Alot less drag

I once witness a rescue diver training excercise where 3 out of 5 were using wing BCD. And i didnt see that any of them had any difficulties during any of the excercise at all. When asked how come, they replied that they did the buddy check before they went into the water and familiarised with the wing BCD system and didnt find them difficult at all.. :dontknow: I guess it depends on the individual and takes getting use to..
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#27  Postby Cher » Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 am

Due to me being an average petite Malaysian female, jacket BCs didnt fit me well. XS was too small and sometimes S was a lil too big... In the water, the BC seem to hang like there's a hook in the water so I gotta keep pulling it down like an oversize t-shirt. And the tank kept bumping my head.. and carrying tanks from the dive center to the boat and boat to the center is a chore and bad for my calcium lacked backbone.

But eversince I've changed to a winger, it's catered to my size.. and there's this harness that wraps around the crotch area which secure the BC to the body. I no longer face the head banging session, buoyancy has improved, more freedom in the water and most important factor of all, carrying the tank is far easier.
    :glasses9:
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby JD » Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 am

MT_Tanc wrote:in my very the humble opinion, sukati diorang la nak pakai ape pun!!!(up to them la what ever they want to wear), as long as it comfortable,safe and the very most important,they didnt ask we to buy for them ;)

:D :D :D. Got my wing BC immediately after certification. Tried it out several times in the pool before going out to the island. Rember the saying 'getting familiarize with your equipment'. Have no problems with it whatsoever and loving it so much...
Do whatever you want to do.You only have one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.
JD
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby dp » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

evo5555 wrote:good topic discussed here... I am also using al cheapo jacket style BCD when i dive. i was thinking why those people opt for wing bcd??(eg:deep Blue, maybe looks macho?? :D   :D   :D )...

I have tried some wing bcd when i dive, such as Halycon, or Oxycheq, and i find its manuevarability its very good compared to jacket bcd, and movement is very free since the pocket in your regular jacket bcd has gone missing, as you are only using harness. Furthermore, the drag in the wing is much less, because if you notice wing bcd user, the wing fill float upwards and wrap around your tanks. 

But the real reason for me, if i were to use it, is "darkside". If you do dive in tight space, such as "holes", caves or wreck penetration, your things inside ur jacket bcd will limit your movement and the tight space will have contact with your bcd. If you use wing, it is reduced to minimal stage and the wing is almost like your second skin, since what is wrapping around you is not bcd, but only harness and the wing is flaoting upwards while you dive. 

Furthermore i realise the "g-String" in wing bcd has its purpose. When i dive in tight space, the tank hit the upper wall but i am already at the lowest point of the "hole". Somebody took a picture of me, and i know that when i am on low air, the tank floats together with jacket bcd. The tank floats up and pulled my bcd updwards without me realising it.  So, with double tank strap and "g-string" it keeps the tank sticking to your body, as if its your skin.

Just my 2 cents...

wah. "macho" talk fr mr evo555

:D :D :D :D

i do agree with sicko about the wings not necessarily being the more expensive between the two.

RM2k++ can get u a decent set up. I have seen Jacket styled BCDs touching the RM3k mark (10 sen short)

But if u, nanda666, are taking the IDC, conducting classes using the wing system (with its harness, crotch straps etc) will prove to be near impossible. As there are no buckles to "unsnap", no cummerband to remove and "no d-ring straps" to pull.

So shud u decide to get the back inflated, IMO, use it for ur recreational dives, and use your "el-cheapo" set for OW training/certification classes.
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby Snafu » Thu May 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Wing set-up for me.... good UW trim & easy to configure for single & multi cylinder diving.

Crotch straps hold the BC from shifting upward, snug fitting will give u better control & less roll.

A lot of BCD have pocket but not friendly to use, the air bladder when inflated will squeeze the body...etc.

As for being expensive, both can be expensive coz of the workmanship quality, technology & material used.

I use the 30lbs wing with softpac or BP for diving in tropical water.

Give it a try for couple of dives to see & feel the difference.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to BCDs