MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Why does my need for weights vary when I change my BC type?

Why does my need for weights vary when I change my BC type?

Why does my need for weights vary when I change my BC type?

Post Number:#1  Postby DesertDiver » Tue May 20, 2008 1:11 am

I've got 2 BCs. One is an Apeks SS backplate with a WTX 3 single webbed harness. The other is a Black Diamond back inflator. Both are used with my 80 cu luxfer aluminium tank. However, for the Apeks backplate set-up, no further weights are required as the backplate alone is 5 lbs. However, for the Black Diamond, I need a minimum of 8lbs.

[blink]Why is this so? Why can't I use the same weights (ceteris paribus)?[/blink]

Do hope some of you gurus can help me with this issue. I don't mind using my backplate in all my dives but when travelling is involved, the black diamond would be invaluable as its a lot lighter.
DesertDiver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Why does my need for weights vary when I change my BC type?

Post Number:#2  Postby Peter Griffin » Tue May 20, 2008 4:06 am

obviously it is caused by the phase of moon and the planetary arrangement throughout the galaxy.. :D

kidding..

it is sort of obvious, kinda like out there, right in the front yard,where it's in the brightest of sunlight kinda matter..innit?

For one, the black diamond does not have the extra 5 lbs. of weight that the apeks has..that's why u need more weight to be able to sink urself when ure using the black diamond..

material wise..the black diamond must have greater bouyancy that the apeks, the black diamond tends to be more positive in bouyancy and u need more weight to counter this force. On the contrary, the apeks material must be less bouyant compared to the black diamond, that is why it needs only a few lbs to take you down u/w.

hope this helps!
Cheers :hello:
R U wet yet?
Peter Griffin
Diver
Diver

Re: Why does my need for weights vary when I change my BC type?

Post Number:#3  Postby DesertDiver » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Peter,

It helps when you read any posts carefully before replying to them. Especially when the question is kinda obvious too, right in front of brightest strobe you can find. Just in case, to make it clearer, I intend to use the 5lbs weights for the Black Diamond too.

Nevertheless, your comment on the material would be roughly the explanation I'm looking for. The plastic backing material would definitely positively buoyant compared to the Apeks.

Thanks
DesertDiver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to BCDs