MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - HELP! How much weight will i need?

HELP! How much weight will i need?

HELP! How much weight will i need?

Post Number:#1  Postby saintos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:54 am

Hello there fellow divers,newbie diver here,im kinda having a problem here and hope that anyone can give me a hand.
I just bought a new bcd,only used for 2 dives.the weight that i used on those 2 dives is about 5 kilo's.
How much weight should i use for my next dive? do i loose some of it or just maintain it for a few more dives?
if maintain,how long?
saintos
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: HELP! How much weight will i need?

Post Number:#2  Postby dp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 pm

weights are a tricky thing to manage. just when u think u got it right, it whacks you with a sinker (pun intended)

;)

but first things first : before the sifu-sifu and otai otai here can give advice to u, can u furnish them with the number of dives you have done (basically, ur diving experience, number of dives, etc lor..) prior to buying this spanking new BCD?

not to mention, the number of weights used prior to buying this spanking new BCD?

and of course, how you felt (buoyancy wise - if u were too floatingly positive or sinkingly negative) in the said 2 dives when using this spanking new BCD?

:)
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby najiBEST » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:21 pm

i guess the best way to determine the weight that you need would be to test it in the pool or at shallow water...there's a general rule of 10% weight to your body weight but this is not true all the time..but you can start there and reduce weight as you go....determining the correct weight is always a tricky business as deepblu said and it depends on many factors eg: your weight, the BC etc....
DIVE DIVE DIVE ...
najiBEST
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Check weights using eye-level test first. Get more pool practice if you cant get the dives....
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby Sicko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:19 pm

saintos wrote:Hello there fellow divers,newbie diver here,im kinda having a problem here and hope that anyone can give me a hand.
I just bought a new bcd,only used for 2 dives.the weight that i used on those 2 dives is about 5 kilo's.
How much weight should i use for my next dive? do i loose some of it or just maintain it for a few more dives?
if maintain,how long?

Go to the pool with your usual equipment. Use the minimium amount of weights that will allow you to stay neutral at depth with around 50 bar in your tank & no air in BCD.
Last edited by Sicko on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby adamz » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:32 am

saintos wrote:Hello there fellow divers,newbie diver here,im kinda having a problem here and hope that anyone can give me a hand.
if maintain,how long?

Saintos, if you were properly weighted during those 2 dives, then you could carry on using the same amout of weight given that all other factors (that affect buoyancy) remain the same. A bcd's buoyancy doesn't change over time like a neoprene wetsuit does.

Your buoyancy will change due to:
1) where you dive: the saltier the water, the more weight you will need. e.g. I need 2 extra kg when I'm diving the red sea than in the east coast of malaysia. if you are in a swimming pool, you need less weight then when in the sea.
2) your equipment: your wetsuit thickness/age, different cylinder sizes and types (aluminium or steel) etc.

best advice: if you are diving somewhere new or with different equipment then perform a buoyancy test at the surface to gauge how much weight you need. With a low (50 bar) tank, empty your bcd completely. With full lungs you should sink to about eye level if you are properly weighted. If you sink deeper then you can lose some weight.
adamz
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Nizaha » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 am

if maintain,how long?

How much do you weight?  [-( [-( [-(

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby jgshuwei » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

As a start, 3mm full wetsuit will need around 5% of your weight.
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Return to BCDs