MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Apollo Bio Control AirCross Vs Seac Sub Pro 2000

Apollo Bio Control AirCross Vs Seac Sub Pro 2000

Apollo Bio Control AirCross Vs Seac Sub Pro 2000

Post Number:#1  Postby HO@X » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Given a choice of the above two, which would you go for not taking money into consideration. I've read many reviews on the Seac Sub Pro 2000 but none has ever commented on the Apollo Bio Control BCD. It would be great help if you could share your experience with either one of them or both for the matter.

Many thanks.

Cheers,
HO@X
HO@X
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Apollo Bio Control AirCross Vs Seac Sub Pro 2000

Post Number:#2  Postby halimi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 pm

HO@X wrote:Hi Guys,

Given a choice of the above two, which would you go for not taking money into consideration. I've read many reviews on the Seac Sub Pro 2000 but none has ever commented on the Apollo Bio Control BCD. It would be great help if you could share your experience with either one of them or both for the matter.

Many thanks.

Cheers,
HO@X

Hello,

I have used both the Seac Sub Pro 2000 (for about 60 - 80 dives, I think) and later, the Apollo Bio-control (now, about 50 dives already and still using it). I actually sold the Pro 2000 in order to get the Bio-control.

Of the two, I really like the Apollo Bio-control better, for one single reason - bouyancy control. Of these two BCD model, the Apollo has a much better air distribution and air movement in between the bladders which give me absolutely nice bouyancy control (which really helps especially when I teach the "Peak Performance Buoyancy" class, hahaha...now you know the secret  ;) )

Both BCD has got good built quality, altho' I think the Apollo looks nicer and the material looks and feel nicer, especially the back padding (gotta care for your spines, you know  ;) ).

The Apollo uses a "tank lock" for the tank strap which I like (no more lose tanks) and a nice "belt-type" strap up front (which is expandable, so when, er, you eat a bit too much for lunch and then go for your next dive, the belt expands a bit to, well, accommodate the expanding stomach, haha. Nitrogen Addict will really make me pay for saying this  :D :D.

On the negative side, the Bio-control has way too many releases (straps) up front. There are 2 chest straps - one near the chest and one a bit lower, just above the stomach. The Japanese must have over-designed this thing. I hate them both so I removed the upper strap and cut away the bottom one (coz it can't be un-hooked). I also don't use the "integrated weight" system so I took them out. I use only the two weight pockets at the back.

Lastly, one feature which I really like to have on a BCD that I own, is the "handle" at the top of the back pack. The Apollo's got it. It's make it easier for the you to lift the bcd (and throw it into the water and wear your bcd on the surface), and easier for the boatman to handle your BCD (and "safer" for your BCD as well) after a dive (coz they don't pull on you BCD collar...which I don't like).

If you want my opinion, choose the Apollo. Apollo only makes 2 BCD models and both of them are excellent, IMHO.
"Have Fun, Dive Safely"
My blog: http://surfaceintervals.blogspot.com My underwater images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/halimi/ PADI Dive Center: http://www.oceanelements.com
halimi
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby HO@X » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Would you care to share your experience with the Seac Sub Pro 2000?

I agree both are of good built quality and ultimately comfort beats functionality hands down however correct me if I'm wrong but both BCDs do guard your spine well with the added padding on the backplate. In terms of the Bio-Tank lock, I think the Seac Sub tank strap could be swapped with the bio-tank lock anytime but dont quote me on that.

I'm slightly incline towards the Seac Sub Pro 2000 although my initial plan was to get the Apollo Bio-Control but both have the function I need which is to establish a good bouyancy control while diving and on the water surface. Also the added or mix functionality in the Seac Sub gives you the benefit of playing with a so called back-inflate/wing BCD type and you could adjust the air-distribution to suit you needs. I haven't heard of any bad reviews regarding that adjustable air functionality although those who own the Seac Sub Pro 2000 and had early problems with it while testing would have probably gotten use to it by now.

In terms of material quality, the Seac Sub Pro 2000 is definitely built with a higher grade material and longer lasting.
HO@X
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby halimi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:23 am

As said above, I have used both but I prefer the Apollo. Personally, the Bio-control feel better in water and buoyancy control is much better. Compared the two, the Pro 2000 feel less comfortable. Now, these are what I feel. You may feel differently coz how the BCD fit you may not necessarily be the same for me.

WRT to your comments regarding "adjusting the air distribution" on the Pro 2000, hmm, frankly, I've never heard about that. Anyway, I prefer the BCD to do the "air distribution" for me, automatically, as I change my body position in water. In this respect, again, the Apollo does it better, IMHO. Another thing, I personally feel that a jacket BCD should do what a jacket BCD is supposed to do and not have this "back-buoyancy-wannabe" attitude  :D :D. If you want a back bouyancy BCD, better get one that is really a back-buoyancy type, not a jacket BCD that "can also do" back-buoyancy. These are really two distinct BCD type.

WRT to your last comment, "In terms of material quality, the Seac Sub Pro 2000 is definitely built with a higher grade material and longer lasting", I think that it a quite subjective remark. My 12 years experience diving tells me that ALL BCD lasts a long time (I still have my old Mares Vector from 12 years back and it's still in good condition!) as long as you take care of them well and handle them well. Even cheap, basic-model BCD. All new materials used in BCD nowadays are very durable. Unless you have these two BCDs and have been using both for more than 10 years, you can actually say with certainty, which one lasts longer. I have absolutely no doubt that with proper care and handling, both BCD can last 10 years or more.

At the end of the day, I think it all boils down to personal preference. Both are good quality, medium priced BCD model.

BTW, some people still say that jacket style BCD "squeezes" you as you fully inflate it. With both these BCD, they inflate outwards so there's actually no squeeze on you. Older, cheaper BCD maybe but not these two.
"Have Fun, Dive Safely"
My blog: http://surfaceintervals.blogspot.com My underwater images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/halimi/ PADI Dive Center: http://www.oceanelements.com
halimi
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:40 pm

nice "belt-type" strap up front (which is expandable, so when, er, you eat a bit too much for lunch and then go for your next dive, the belt expands a bit to, well, accommodate the expanding stomach, haha. Nitrogen Addict will really make me pay for saying this  grin grin.

:icon_rr: :icon_rr: :D :D
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby Arewhere » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:32 pm

halimi wrote:As said above, I have used both but I prefer the Apollo. Personally, the Bio-control feel better in water and buoyancy control is much better. Compared the two, the Pro 2000 feel less comfortable. Now, these are what I feel. You may feel differently coz how the BCD fit you may not necessarily be the same for me.

WRT to your comments regarding "adjusting the air distribution" on the Pro 2000, hmm, frankly, I've never heard about that. Anyway, I prefer the BCD to do the "air distribution" for me, automatically, as I change my body position in water. In this respect, again, the Apollo does it better, IMHO. Another thing, I personally feel that a jacket BCD should do what a jacket BCD is supposed to do and not have this "back-buoyancy-wannabe" attitude  :D :D. If you want a back bouyancy BCD, better get one that is really a back-buoyancy type, not a jacket BCD that "can also do" back-buoyancy. These are really two distinct BCD type.

WRT to your last comment, "In terms of material quality, the Seac Sub Pro 2000 is definitely built with a higher grade material and longer lasting", I think that it a quite subjective remark. My 12 years experience diving tells me that ALL BCD lasts a long time (I still have my old Mares Vector from 12 years back and it's still in good condition!) as long as you take care of them well and handle them well. Even cheap, basic-model BCD. All new materials used in BCD nowadays are very durable. Unless you have these two BCDs and have been using both for more than 10 years, you can actually say with certainty, which one lasts longer. I have absolutely no doubt that with proper care and handling, both BCD can last 10 years or more.

At the end of the day, I think it all boils down to personal preference. Both are good quality, medium priced BCD model.

BTW, some people still say that jacket style BCD "squeezes" you as you fully inflate it. With both these BCD, they inflate outwards so there's actually no squeeze on you. Older, cheaper BCD maybe but not these two.

bro,
can u hgive me some advise about Seac Sub Pro Tech vs Apollo Bio Cross....... still confuse either one is better? [-(

tq bro.....
" SO OTHERS MAY DIVES"
Arewhere
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby FireDragon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:39 pm

halimi wrote:As said above, I have used both but I prefer the Apollo. Personally, the Bio-control feel better in water and buoyancy control is much better.

Nitrogen addict, I think halimi stated his preference very clearly in his first sentence... he prefers the Apollo Bio-control.
FireDragon
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Firedragon that question posted by ATXdiver...

Me Nitrogen Addict  B-) B-)
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to BCDs