MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Mares Air Control Octopus - Opinions and reviews needed...

Mares Air Control Octopus - Opinions and reviews needed...

Mares Air Control Octopus - Opinions and reviews needed...

Post Number:#1  Postby Chip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 am

Hello divers... :hello:

i'm thinking of buying these piece of equipment- Mares Air Control Octopus... any divers out there having experience using this kind of octo, can you guys give me some opinion and perhaps sharing own experience... i really appreciate it...  :D

-Chinook-
~ Air is like sex; it's not important unless you aren't getting any ~
Chip
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Mares Air Control Octopus - Opinions and reviews needed...

Post Number:#2  Postby Chip » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Deng....  :D

Still no reply...? thats odd....  :icon_tongue:
Chip
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby dp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Have seen similar inflator-cum-octo regs on some set ups on trips I have been on.

Personally, I have never used them before.

But IMO, (as a set up, not this particular model) it definitely is a wee bit more convenient to dive with, as you do not have to worry about it dismantling from your BC and dragging it all over the sandy bottom in a dive like a normal Octo would.

However, the (short) length of the octo hose AND the already not-so-long-hosed primary regulator will not give me much elbow room when it comes to emergencies like buddy breathing, me thinks.

Much as I love having my buddy around, I wouldnt want to be hugging him/her should a sudden surge hit us during an unplanned safety stop. At such close and compromising *ahem* position, it will definitely be a bit more difficult to handle the situation, me thinks.

;)
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Chip » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:30 pm

dp wrote:Have seen similar inflator-cum-octo regs on some set ups on trips I have been on.

Personally, I have never used them before.

But IMO, (as a set up, not this particular model) it definitely is a wee bit more convenient to dive with, as you do not have to worry about it dismantling from your BC and dragging it all over the sandy bottom in a dive like a normal Octo would.

However, the (short) length of the octo hose AND the already not-so-long-hosed primary regulator will not give me much elbow room when it comes to emergencies like buddy breathing, me thinks.

Much as I love having my buddy around, I wouldnt want to be hugging him/her should a sudden surge hit us during an unplanned safety stop. At such close and compromising *ahem* position, it will definitely be a bit more difficult to handle the situation, me thinks.

;)

Dp you got one good point there... especially about buddy breathing and short hose... however damage have been done, i've already bought it...  :P
Chip
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Return to Regulators